worst D's to ever win SB

3rivers

We know that a team can win the SB with a bad OL ;)

But what (if any) are the worst Defences that have won SB's? D wins IMO, but I thought I would start a thread for this since our D will be bad most of the year - we might as well find a way to enjoy his despite the fact it will probably go one for a few more years.

As it is, I am thinking we need to improve a lot to be about as good as the worst that has one a SB.  Right, or wrong?

14 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

2011 Giants were 25th in points allowed and 27th in yards allowed. That has to be up there with the worst.

and they beat Brady, go figure . Maybe all anyone needed to defeat Brady was a good front 4, because both of those Giant teams had that.

13 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

2011 Giants were 25th in points allowed and 27th in yards allowed. That has to be up there with the worst.

They only got to the playoffs because they played in a very weak division in 2011.   They won first place with a 9-7 record.

Then in the playoffs, their defense played much better.   

However, their defense, despite being bad overall, had a great pass rush....and that can go a long way.

Just now, skywlker32 said:

Colts in 2006 were pretty bad too, ranking 21st in yards and 23rd in points.

Another defense that got hot at the right time.

Manning played like garbage the first 2.5 games of the playoffs that year and his defense bailed him out.   I just remember laughing because everyone was praising him after they won the SB, but people still talked crap about Ben being carried because he didnt play well in the SB the year before, despite the fact that he played lights out the first 3 games of the postseason.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

They only got to the playoffs because they played in a very weak division in 2011.   They won first place with a 9-7 record.

Then in the playoffs, their defense played much better.   

However, their defense, despite being bad overall, had a great pass rush....and that can go a long way.

I'm not disputing that at all. I was actually surprised to find that they were the lowest ranked defense to win a SB (unless someone else can find another). Honestly, if our defense just gets hot at the right time, that's all we may need.

Just now, skywlker32 said:

I'm not disputing that at all. I was actually surprised to find that they were the lowest ranked defense to win a SB (unless someone else can find another). Honestly, if our defense just gets hot at the right time, that's all we may need.

I know you werent disputing it, nor was I disputing you....just adding it on to what you said.

5 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

it's not the way I would prefer it, but if that's what happens then so be it.  Sometimes it comes down to matchups and injuries, so I guess we aren't out of it yet.  I expect there to be some of these factors that need to fall into place  because right now there is no way a good team can't score 40 on this D.

Archived