CW21's 2018 NFL Mock Draft v2018.01

CWood21

First mock of the year, let's go...using ESPN's power rankings for the draft order.

1.) New York Jets - Sam Darnold [QB; USC]
2.) San Francisco 49ers - Saquon Barkley [RB; Penn State]
3.) Cleveland Browns - Derwin James [S; Florida State]
4.) Chicago Bears - Connor Williams [OT; Texas]
5.) Jacksonville Jaguars - Josh Rosen [QB; UCLA]
6.) Los Angeles Rams - Tarvarus McFadden [CB; Florida State]
7.) Buffalo Bills - James Washington [WR; Oklahoma State]
8.) Miami Dolphins - Minkah Fitzparick [S; Alabama]
9.) Los Angeles Chargers - Orlando Brown [OT; Oklahoma]
10.) New Orleans Saints - Arden Key [DE/OLB; LSU]
11.) Cincinnati Bengals - Trey Adams [OT; Washington]
12.) Baltimore Ravens - Da'Ron Payne [DT; Alabama]
13.) Washington Redskins - Josh Allen [QB; Wyoming]
14.) Detroit Lions - Mike McGlinchey [OT; Notre Dame]
15.) Indianapolis Colts - Sam Hubbard [DE; Ohio State]
16.) Minnesota Vikings - Christian Wilkins [DT; Clemson]
17.) Carolina Panthers - Bradley Chubb [DE; NC State]
18.) Philadelphia Eagles - Courtland Sutton [WR; SMU]
19.) Cleveland Browns (from Houston Texans) - Malik Jefferson [LB; Texas]
20.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Mitch Hyatt [OT; Clemson]
21.) Tennessee Titans - Christian Kirk [WR; Texas A&M]
22.) New York Giants - Lowell Lotulelei [DT; Utah]
23.) Arizona Cardinals - Lamar Jackson [QB; Louisville]
24.) Denver Broncos - Da'Shawn Hand [DT; Alabama]
25.) Buffalo Bills (from Kansas City Chiefs) - Mason Rudolph [QB; Oklahoma State]
26.) Oakland Raiders - Calvin Ridley [WR; Alabama]
27.) Dallas Cowboys - Quenton Nelson [OG; Notre Dame]
28.) Green Bay Packers - Harold Landry [OLB/DE; Boston College]
29.) Pittsburgh Steelers - Martinas Rankins [OT; Mississippi State]
30.) Seattle Seahawks - Vita Vea [DT; Washington]
31.) Atlanta Falcons - Cameron Smith [LB; USC]
32.) New England Patriots - Derrick Nnadi [DT; Florida State]

Have at it...

My gripes are so you see Derwin as a FS or a SS, I personally don't seem him as a FS and for us I think he would play a similar role as peppers so I am curious as to how you see him filling a role for us, I also don think we need a LB because in gregs system he seems to showcase more 2 LB set and with Collins and Kirksey I think Jefferson is not a need. I guess in this spot I would rather have Kirk 

23 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

My gripes are so you see Derwin as a FS or a SS, I personally don't seem him as a FS and for us I think he would play a similar role as peppers so I am curious as to how you see him filling a role for us, I also don think we need a LB because in gregs system he seems to showcase more 2 LB set and with Collins and Kirksey I think Jefferson is not a need. I guess in this spot I would rather have Kirk 

I think most safeties at this point need to be multi-dimensional.  The traditional in-the-box SS really isn't utilized much anymore.  That being said, I viewed Jabrill Peppers more as a slot CB/utility DB rather than a traditional safety.

OG, really? 

Even if one of Cooper, Green or whoever we plug in at LG doesn't work...I don't see us spending another first rounder on the position. Maybe OT so we could slide Collins back to OG, but otherwise I'd expect us to go in a different direction.

I'd say DE, OLB, or depending on what happens with Gathers, TE are looking to be our top needs for next season.

Mike McGlinchey doesn't make a ton of sense for the Lions. OT is one spot we're pretty set at with Decker at LT and Wagner at RT. Maybe it would work if McGlinchey were to be moved to LG, but if that were the case I would much rather have Quenton Nelson, who is a much better fit for the Lions. Nelson is unique for a Notre Dame OL because he jump sets quite a bit. The Lions ask theie guards to jump set quite a bit as well, so if the Lions do add another OL in the 1st round, I would expect it to be Nelson who is the best fit as far as talent, scheme, and position.

That being said, it would be near impossible to pass on Harold Landry. The Lions might go into the season with two 7th round picks and 2 UDFA's as their only EDGE defenders. It's time they beefed up that spot.

12.) Baltimore Ravens - Da'Ron Payne [DT; Alabama]  - Despite being known for their defense, the Baltimore Ravens have only drafted one defensive tackle in the first round in their history.  That was Haloti Ngata.  If you look at their roster now, their defensive line is littered with 3rd and 4th round draft picks.  That seems to be how the Ravens address their defensive line.

21.) Tennessee Titans - Christian Kirk [WR; Texas A&M] - Having just drafted two wide receivers in the first three rounds, I would be surprised to see them go back to the well so soon. 

22.) New York Giants - Lowell Lotulelei [DT; Utah] - Likewise, the Giants just drafted a defensive tackle in the second round.

29.) Pittsburgh Steelers - Martinas Rankins [OT; Mississippi State]  - With the exception of left guard Ramon Foster, the entire Steelers starting offensive line is signed through 2019.

2 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

OG, really? 

Even if one of Cooper, Green or whoever we plug in at LG doesn't work...I don't see us spending another first rounder on the position. Maybe OT so we could slide Collins back to OG, but otherwise I'd expect us to go in a different direction.

Why not?  The Cowboys spent years building their offensive line through the draft until it was the undisputed best in the NFL.  If they take a step back this year with the loss of Ron Leary and Doug Free, why wouldn't they resume that process? 

1 minute ago, Crickett said:

12.) Baltimore Ravens - Da'Ron Payne [DT; Alabama]  - Despite being known for their defense, the Baltimore Ravens have only drafted one defensive tackle in the first round in their history.  That was Haloti Ngata.  If you look at their roster now, their defensive line is littered with 3rd and 4th round draft picks.  That seems to be how the Ravens address their defensive line.

21.) Tennessee Titans - Christian Kirk [WR; Texas A&M] - Having just drafted two wide receivers in the first three rounds, I would be surprised to see them go back to the well so soon. 

22.) New York Giants - Lowell Lotulelei [DT; Utah] - Likewise, the Giants just drafted a defensive tackle in the second round.

29.) Pittsburgh Steelers - Martinas Rankins [OT; Mississippi State]  - With the exception of left guard Ramon Foster, the entire Steelers starting offensive line is signed through 2019.

Why not?  The Cowboys spent years building their offensive line through the draft until it was the undisputed best in the NFL.  If they take a step back this year with the loss of Ron Leary and Doug Free, why wouldn't they resume that process? 

I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility...just not what I necessarily would do or view as our biggest need.

30 minutes ago, Crickett said:

That's true. The Steelers are set on the OL for years. OT Alejandro Villanueva just signed a four year deal during training camp.

I would like to see the Steelers target a safety in the first to replace Mike Mitchell or someone like ILB Cameron Smith since he was still available in this mock.

CB and OT are the two spots I think make the most sense at this point for our 1st round pick. Johnson likely won't be back next year w have another free agent or two in the secondary. At OT we need a long term successor for Whitworth and the pick could start out at either RT or one of the guard spots until he moves to LT.

13 hours ago, Crickett said:

Not only that, but the DL is the strongest group on the roster at present.  I'd be incredibly surprised and upset if they draft a DL of any kind with their 1st round pick in 2018 at this stage.

I'd suggest OL should be the pick - anything besides LT

Archived