GDT Week 4: Do we really need to say who we're playing this week?

AFlaccoSeagulls

IT'S STEELERS WEEK!

As such, with the new NFL rules, I think it's time we take a trip down memory lane to enjoy the brutality and physicality of this rivalry over the past 10 or so years.

Let's start off with my favorite clip ever. We all know this one...

Image result for jarret johnson hines ward gif

Oomph. Hard to imagine that hit not drawing an ejection today's NFL, even though he's behind the line of scrimmage. Refs don't care. Hard hit = automatic penalty.

Next, let's move to something a little more recent that actually was flagged, even though it was completely clean:

Image result for courtney upshaw hit gif

Somehow...I'm still shocked that play drew a flag. But it makes me feel good seeing Ben drilled like that by a 280 lb OLB.

And finally, let's just all take a few minutes to rewatch some of Joe's magic against Pittsburgh, shall we?

First, TJ Houshmandzadeh:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81b06265/Flacco-to-Houshmandzadeh-for-the-win

Next, Torrey Smith:

And don't forget about Chris Moore:

And lastly, the 2011 season opener:

What's your favorite memory of beating the Steelers?

don't forget Ngata smashing Bens nose in. i mean look at that. haha xD
those were the days i guess :(

ben-roethlisberger-nose-photos.jpg

anyway i am a believer this season. Steelers are better than the last games should make me believe but Ravens have a D that SHOULD be able to hold them to a score that Flacco and company can match easily. you would believe if the combo of Miller/Chubb was neutralized for 3 quarters last sunday, Dupree and Mini-Watt should be contained easily. their secondary is a running joke. Pees is gone for good and there will be no more 4th quarter drama for this Ravens team.

it seems bad drafting combined with some injuries have taken a toll on a team that faces the curtain call of what was a bus sized window for SB runs. 3 Bs will be no more, and i am not sure Ben will come back again next season if the outlook for next season is as dire as i foresee. lets make this the first game of his farewell tour and hand them a loss to remember on prime time.

30-20 Ravens, lets go!

Watching those highlights definitely makes me think about Ray Rice and how awesome he was. IMO he’s the greatest back in Ravens history. His dual threat combination and the fact that he never got to a point where he would just run into the backs of blockers (like Jamal Lewis) makes it easy for me to conclude.

Man I want a back like that. Watching that and coming back to reality definitely makes me feel like we’re settling with our current core of backs.

Anyways, in terms of this game. It’s going to be a close battle. Both teams are going to have time to prepare. Both teams are now riding some early momentum.

This game will come down to turnovers. We’ve been quite adverse to creating turnovers to this point on defense, to win this game we’re going to have to force the Steelers into making mistakes. In the end, I see a close game, and while I don’t like predicting a loss, I see Alex Collins getting off to a great start in the first half, but then starts feeling himself and come the second half the Steelers defense forces him into committing two crucial fumbles that gets them back into the game and ignites their crowd. They then ride that momentum into a second half comeback victory. I then overreact after the game and put RB to the top of our 2019 draft needs, when interior OL should still be the top priority.

3 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

I am not sure Ben will come back again next season if the outlook for next season is as dire as i foresee. lets make this the first game of his farewell tour and hand them a loss to remember on prime time.

30-20 Ravens, lets go!

To be honest, with these new rules in place. Every starting QB would be a fool if they don’t look to start until the age of 40. QBs are essentially broken in this game. You can’t hit them to intimidate them, you can’t even hit them unless you cater to them, and oh you can’t even intimidate their receivers. Their is no psychological warfare in this game any longer. It’s simply physical and mental... and not even that physical.

Peyton Manning has got to be the most unlucky QB from the last era. He would’ve absolutely feasted under these new conditions. More than any QB still remaining.

A few other highlights:

* The 2015 season where we swept the Steelers that year using backup QB's both games

* The Paul Kruger INT to seal the win in 2012(?)

* Ray Rice first-down reception to seal the win for us in 2010(?)

Speaking of the game before us. I swear on everything that if we lose this game because the offense scores to give us the lead with like a minute left and the defense completely collapses, I will freaking lose it.

27-17 Ravens

The key is defensive execution. I don't think we'll have problems moving the ball. Za'Darius Smith will probably have a big day with fatso trying to extend plays and stepping up into the inside rush after being flushed by our outside guys. It's the first steeler game for Wink, so we'll learn a lot about him in this one. Look for zone killers Mark Andrews and Willie Snead to make some plays. Hayden could be interesting as well. John Brown should have another big day. Crabtree needs to cool the drops, a big game test for him today. 

No tension, no intensity, just a W.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:01 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Speaking of the game before us. I swear on everything that if we lose this game because the offense scores to give us the lead with like a minute left and the defense completely collapses, I will freaking lose it.

To be fair, this seems to happen to every single team in every single game on every single week in the NFL this year.

We at least won't be the most disappointing defense wearing purple this year.

Archived