GDT Week 4: Do we really need to say who we're playing this week?

AFlaccoSeagulls

15 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Eh, there's nothing wrong with mixing it up on occasion.  If you have people only do what they're best at on defense every time, then you become incredibly predictable.  You need to sow the seeds of doubt in the mind of offensive coordinators and players (i.e. is Smith coming or is he going to drop back with Young coming from the slot or Peanut up the middle?). 

You're right, but I'd rather he didn't play OLB and stuck to being an interior rusher than have him occasionally end up in coverage xD

8 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

its disgusting how under-utilized tim williams is, every time i watch him he's winning his match up, dude should be on the field on every 3rd down except 3rd and short

8 hours ago, drd23 said:

They still need to rotate the pass rushers more.  On top of not getting Williams on in obvious passing situations until late in the game, I'm fairly certain I saw ZaDarius Smith dropping back into coverage at least once, which is something he should never do

To you both above. Check the snap counts last night. Williams got TWENTY(!!!!!) snaps. Za'Darius Smith got 75% of defensive snaps. It makes literally no sense, especially considering we sacked Ben once and it was...TIM frigging WILLIAMS who instantly beat the LT to do it. I also saw Suggs dropping into coverage on numerous occasions, which also makes no sense to me but whatever. Tyus Bowser also only got 5 snaps on defense. We have to rotate our OLB's better.

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

The Ravens had 11 different players catch a pass last night. That includes every active skill position player except Ricard. 

On another note, where was Kenny Young last night? 

Yeah every skill player touched the ball last night, from Delance Turner to Tim White to everyone else except Ricard. It was amazing.

42 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Looked like he was late to everything

I like to think that he was covering for CJ Mosley. It seemed like in previous games he was the aggressive ILB while Peanut covered for him. In this matchup it was Mosley as the aggressor... and honestly I think our defense is worse for it. Mosley was late and biting on play actions all game long, but didn’t have the athleticism to recover.

Perhaps it’s the injury, but if his play continues I think we should let him walk and just take the compensational 3rd round pick he should net us.

Young has stud level athleticism and playmaking ability. And him and Peanut actually had pretty good chemistry as a duo (we could even draft a stud if one is BPA).

28 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

To you both above. Check the snap counts last night. Williams got TWENTY(!!!!!) snaps. Za'Darius Smith got 75% of defensive snaps. It makes literally no sense, especially considering we sacked Ben once and it was...TIM frigging WILLIAMS who instantly beat the LT to do it. I also saw Suggs dropping into coverage on numerous occasions, which also makes no sense to me but whatever. Tyus Bowser also only got 5 snaps on defense. We have to rotate our OLB's better.

Yeah every skill player touched the ball last night, from Delance Turner to Tim White to everyone else except Ricard. It was amazing.

I hope the gameplan is to keep Tim Williams fresh and start utilizing him more as the season progresses so that way he’s not hitting some sort of Wall later in the season (when he’s needed most). To be honest as long as we win and the defense is playing well, assuming that’s the plan, it makes all the sense. Unleash Williams come playoff time while teams have less tape on him and he’s still completely fresh.

6 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I hope the gameplan is to keep Tim Williams fresh and start utilizing him more as the season progresses so that way he’s not hitting some sort of Wall later in the season (when he’s needed most). To be honest as long as we win and the defense is playing well, assuming that’s the plan, it makes all the sense. Unleash Williams come playoff time while teams have less tape on him and he’s still completely fresh.

If we're playing to keep guys fresh, why are we playing Suggs at like 65% of the snaps when we're obviously going to need him more later in the season? Seems backwards to me. Tim Williams is like 22 years old - he ain't gonna burn out playing 35 snaps a game.

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If we're playing to keep guys fresh, why are we playing Suggs at like 65% of the snaps when we're obviously going to need him more later in the season? Seems backwards to me. Tim Williams is like 22 years old - he ain't gonna burn out playing 35 snaps a game.

True but Suggs is also used to a time where our defenders played 95% of snaps and thus his conditioning and ability to pace himself is elite. Being reduced to a 65% snap count is already effective for a guy like him. Plus he’s by far our best run stopping OLB and arguably our most versatile defender. So it makes sense why he would be utilized in more speicalized packages, which in turn increases his snap count organically.

I’m not suggesting that Williams couldn’t play more, only that as long as we’re winning and performing well on defense, there’s no real need to unleash him at this point. Holding him back will be beneficial for the reasons I’ve listed.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

True but Suggs is also used to a time where our defenders played 95% of snaps and thus his conditioning and ability to pace himself is elite. Being reduced to a 65% snap count is already effective for a guy like him. Plus he’s by far our best run stopping OLB and arguably our most versatile defender. So it makes sense why he would be utilized in more speicalized packages, which in turn increases his snap count organically.

I’m not suggesting that Williams couldn’t play more, only that as long as we’re winning and performing well on defense, there’s no real need to unleash him at this point. Holding him back will be beneficial for the reasons I’ve listed.

IMHO, at this point Williams needs to be replacing Judon at OLB for most snaps. Judon hasn't done a single thing this year. At least Za'Darius has some pass rush productivity to lean back on as justification for his insanely high snap counts. Judon has nothing. He hasn't been good against the pass or the run. And we need to run Smith at DT more on passing downs, not OLB. That allows us to play Suggs - Urban - Smith - Williams and get the most effective pass rush possible while still limiting and rotating players effectively.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

IMHO, at this point Williams needs to be replacing Judon at OLB for most snaps. Judon hasn't done a single thing this year. At least Za'Darius has some pass rush productivity to lean back on as justification for his insanely high snap counts. Judon has nothing. He hasn't been good against the pass or the run. And we need to run Smith at DT more on passing downs, not OLB. That allows us to play Suggs - Urban - Smith - Williams and get the most effective pass rush possible while still limiting and rotating players effectively.

I’m not saying I don’t believe that would be a more effective lineup. What I’m saying is, if Williams has Judon’s snap count in the playoffs and Judon has Williams snap count in the playoffs, would you be against it?

I’m just saying if we keep the cake covered until later, there’s less chance that someone is going to eat it. We can then save the cake to feast on later without incident. By holding Williams back we can set him up to feast later.

Especially considering our teams injury history from past seasons. I’d rather reduce the chance for a potentially dominant piece like Williams befalling injury and being affected later, by reducing his chances of injury. If Williams finishes off the last quarter of the season with 6 sacks. And then rolls into the playoffs and picks up another 8 sacks as the defensive catalyst for a Super Bowl win, it would be well worth the cost to his regular season numbers (IMO).

Effing yes to embarass the Steelers at home on prime time.

no points allowed in the second half. Wink may have his faults but he knows to adjust at halftime. that is so damn good to watch after years of Pees late game failure. 

offense. gotta give it to MM, i still think hes a boon but he got creative. just let your rookie QB sit please that does not make sense at all. and everybody catching balls. this team finally has guys able to catch, amazing. besides #15 and he has to figure that out, hes already at 6 drops for the season, unacceptable. and Ozzie better begs #13 to sign an extension right now.

my boy Jefferson made me proud with the play of the night, great awareness to get his arm under the ball, too bad he was touched. 

irt Williams being criminally underused. its the Ravens way to sit rookies for 2-3 years, have them blow up their contract season to watch them sign a fat contract elsewhere and notch up that comp pick. ZSmith is just the current example and reason for #56 and #54 to sit most of the game. both will get extended play time next year, doesn't mean i agree with that but everybody better accept it. 

also, #99 is a let down thus far this season. lacks discipline and is no fit for his extended usage in coverage.

58 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

keep it up. add an offense that can score and sustain drives and suddenly playoffs seem realistic

If my math is correct, that means we've outscored opponents 74-56 in the first half, a better point differential (+18) than Cinci has overall (+13).  Then we have that +40 in the second half as well.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

still early but that Bengals game on a short week may really have been an outlier. they have the Ravens no. anyway and Lewis outcoaches Harbaugh nearly every time they meet.

Ken McKusick said that his assessment (I believe through regression analysis) shows that playing TNF on the road is the second largest impact on expected season win total, only behind forfeiting a true home game for London.

Archived