Federal Grand Jury Convened Regarding Hector Olivera Signing, Potentially Others

ramssuperbowl99

5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:
Dodgers are effed.  Also, goodbye IFA. 

And there's a Dossier!? Oh this is tremendous. I wonder if there will be a report that Yasiel Puig paid women to drown him in mexican food in bed while he was stuck in his hotel room.

Well, I mean it's tremendous except for the Dodgers being complicit with human trafficking at an organizational level, which is a bummer. Hammer needs to come down in a major way. People are going to jail for this.

21 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And there's a Dossier!? Oh this is tremendous. I wonder if there will be a report that Yasiel Puig paid women to drown him in mexican food in bed while he was stuck in his hotel room.

Well, I mean it's tremendous except for the Dodgers being complicit with human trafficking at an organizational level, which is a bummer. Hammer needs to come down in a major way. People are going to jail for this.

Yeah, it makes me sad that Friedman was involved.  I genuinely like that guy.

6 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, it makes me sad that Friedman was involved.  I genuinely like that guy.

I mean we need to establish how stupid it is to actually keep a running scale of exactly how criminal your employees are. There's regular stupid and advanced stupid, but that is Zach Smith sending Urban Meyer video of DV and Urban Meyer responding by scoring it like a boxing match and sticking the results on the cloud stupid.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean we need to establish how stupid it is to actually keep a running scale of exactly how criminal your employees are. There's regular stupid and advanced stupid, but that is Zach Smith sending Urban Meyer video of DV and Urban Meyer responding by scoring it like a boxing match and sticking the results on the cloud stupid.

That was the part that stuck out to me as well.  Employee behavior ratings from "bystander" to "criminal".  

23 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

That was the part that stuck out to me as well.  Employee behavior ratings from "bystander" to "criminal".  

My brain stopped working when I read 'dossier' the first time and I had to re-read the whole article start to finish to make it beyond that.

33 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Related image

We don't know a whole lot, and it sounds like the scope of the DoJ investigation is pretty broad given all of the material they have their hands on. But for the Cuban player side of it, before President Obama lifted trade restrictions with Cuba, in order to become an MLB FA a Cuban player had to:

1. Defect from Cuba
  2. Establish residency as a refugee in a different Latin American country (usually Haiti or Mexico, Aroldis Chapman established residency in Andorra for tax reasons)
  3. Wait for the MLB to declare you a free agent
  4. Use a loophole in US law where anyone entering the US by foot who can prove they are Cuban is granted asylum

The MLB company line was that no teams would talk to players before step 3 was completed. Obviously, that was more don't ask don't tell than an actual no-contact policy, since it was common knowledge which players were looking to defect and when they might do so.

But #1 is a huge issue legally. You don't just walk off the island, you need to be smuggled off. And that often meant going to the mob, who would then ask for some ridiculous payment. And since the players had no real way off the island otherwise and no way to cash in on their value appreciably in Cuba, they basically had to agree. So stars like Yasiel Puig are quite literally smuggled out by gangsters - in Puig's case members of a Mexican cartel. Puig made it to Mexico, and "stayed" (read: was not allowed to leave) in a hotel operated by the gangsters for a month while his contract and financial situation got sorted out. Then he was able to go.

From the MLB's perspective, there's plausible deniability if every team doesn't negotiate or make an under the table offer/payment to a player. Everyone knows what's going on, but you get to pretend that the stork just dropped a $50M outfielder on your doorstep.

If this report is accurate, the DoJ documents blow that up. There are a lot of highlights, but it basically says the Dodgers got a player signed before he was a free agent, then either destroyed and re-made that contract or forged the dates on it. Considering some of these guys are under the mob version of house arrest until they get their money, that's not exactly a hop, skip, and a jump away from the Dodgers paying off the mob to get an agreement done with their guy before he's really available. They also might have been sending bribes to trainers/players to help convince them to defect, or even to help bribe officials to get residency faster.

The tl;dr version of this is that it's a big fricking deal.

Archived