Federal Grand Jury Convened Regarding Hector Olivera Signing, Potentially Others

ramssuperbowl99

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, it makes me sad that Friedman was involved.  I genuinely like that guy.

I mean we need to establish how stupid it is to actually keep a running scale of exactly how criminal your employees are. There's regular stupid and advanced stupid, but that is Zach Smith sending Urban Meyer video of DV and Urban Meyer responding by scoring it like a boxing match and sticking the results on the cloud stupid.

It's stupid from an organizational perspective but it is unclear how bad it is for Friedman. That was made in 2015 and he only took over with the Dodgers in October 2014. It is actually pretty likely most of the acts that went into the rating happened pre-Friedman. That may have been a way to determine who has done what to clean it up. Even the shredding of a contract we don't know when it was signed.

It is clear that the Dodgers are in some significant trouble. It is not clear that Friedman is. At least not from what has been revealed.

Just now, mse326 said:

It's stupid from an organizational perspective but it is unclear how bad it is for Friedman. That was made in 2015 and he only took over with the Dodgers in October 2014. It is actually pretty likely most of the acts that went into the rating happened pre-Friedman. That may have been a way to determine who has done what to clean it up. Even the shredding of a contract we don't know when it was signed.

It is clear that the Dodgers are in some significant trouble. It is not clear that Friedman is. At least not from what has been revealed.

Agreed 100%. Sorry I was talking as an organization.

Hopefully baseballs shadyness will come to an end, an international draft needs to be implemented. Probably wouldnt solve all problem though.

Slightly (or more) off topic, sheryl ring is an absolute moron. She actually endorsed the idea that we shouldnt really take into account the thoughts/concerns of people who live in rural/less populated areas and they just need to hop on board with whatever the people in major metros decide cause thats the majority of the country. An absolutely disgusting and discriminating take, so i put very little into what she writes.

4 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Slightly (or more) off topic, sheryl ring is an absolute moron. She actually endorsed the idea that we shouldnt really take into account the thoughts/concerns of people who live in rural/less populated areas and they just need to hop on board with whatever the people in major metros decide cause thats the majority of the country. An absolutely disgusting and discriminating take, so i put very little into what she writes.

Do you have a link to this? Not doubting you just want to read it.

19 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Do you have a link to this? Not doubting you just want to read it.

it was on her twitter, ill dig it up when i get home tonight if i jave time or in the next couple of days. its not an article, just the tweet. twitter obviously limits what you can say so maybe she had expanded thoughts on this but all i saw was her retweeting it.

22 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Yup more restrictions on the earning capacity underprivileged teenagers is definitely what is needed. 

being underpriviliged really should have little to do with it tbh. you want them to be treated fairly, not get abused and hopefully the crap with the handlers will end. how do you get rid of the abuse and corruption of international fa, im open for suggestions.

6 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

being underpriviliged really should have little to do with it tbh. you want them to be treated fairly, not get abused and hopefully the crap with the handlers will end. how do you get rid of the abuse and corruption of international fa, im open for suggestions.

Do I want to get rid of abuse? Yes. But I don't want to get rid of that and switch to something worse. If teams don't have to fight each other in bidding for a prospect they won't pay as much. A draft would ultimately be worse than what we have now.

Being underprivileged matters because that makes them more desperate and more susceptible to being taken advantage of regardless of the system. They don't have other options. Drafts and draft caps are really just legitimized ways of exploiting players that can't really fight for themselves. At least if is the way it is now we have ways of stamping it out. 

One thing baseball can do is limit agency/trainer fees to those that have been licensed by the MLBPA (like what is done now for American agents). That at least has the chance of limiting it to reputable agents. And licensing rules would be able to dictate some limits on what they are able to take in terms of fees.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Do I want to get rid of abuse? Yes. But I don't want to get rid of that and switch to something worse. If teams don't have to fight each other in bidding for a prospect they won't pay as much. A draft would ultimately be worse than what we have now.

Being underprivileged matters because that makes them more desperate and more susceptible to being taken advantage of regardless of the system. They don't have other options. Drafts and draft caps are really just legitimized ways of exploiting players that can't really fight for themselves. 

so whats the best solution? what wr have clearly isnt the best model,  implement hard slots with the draft and make it favorable to players if you want. no negotiation, just this is what you get. 

5 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

so whats the best solution? what wr have clearly isnt the best model,  implement hard slots with the draft and make it favorable to players if you want. no negotiation, just this is what you get. 

Suggesting a model that has ZERO chance of being implemented does not make it a better model. There is not a chance in hell the slots will be favorable to players. And will also mean a steeper decline in payment to top prospects (you won't have the top 5 making pretty much the same amount). And teams would also just not draft anyone or require that they be allowed to not sign the player further pushing down what they will make. Being able to choose where you play is also valuable which you lose in any draft.

I gave what I think could help. Licensing agents and trainers with MLBPA oversight to ensure proper agency ethics..

9 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Suggesting a model that has ZERO chance of being implemented does not make it a better model. There is not a chance in hell the slots will be favorable to players. And will also mean a steeper decline in payment to top prospects (you won't have the top 5 making pretty much the same amount). And teams would also just not draft anyone or require that they be allowed to not sign the player further pushing down what they will make. Being able to choose where you play is also valuable which you lose in any draft.

I gave what I think could help. Licensing agents and trainers with MLBPA oversight to ensure proper agency ethics..

i somehow cut that out, my apologies as i didnt see it.  i dont see how that would work either, just cause you declare something doesnt mean people who are desparate and want money have to abide by it, and i dont see a way it can be monitored so kids arent taken advantage of still. 

no system will be perfect, as i already said for me the main purpose should be to stop the abuse and corruption. does that mean maybe taking 10-15% less upfront,  probably for some guys but who knows how much of their bonuses were being taken away anyway. and it could be passed if mlb really wanted it to, go to the mlbpa with a generous slot system based on past payouts. its a black eye for the mlb right now, it kust depends how much they want to fox it.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/10/30/los-angeles-dodgers-cuban-players-doj-investigation?utm_campaign=si-mlb&xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

After [Pablo Fernandez] left Cuba, he was denied a visa by the U.S. embassy in the Dominican Republic. Just over a week later, the Dodgers helped Fernandez secure a second interview for a visa, this time at the U.S. embassy in Haiti. Thanks to what was characterized by Carl Balediata, the Dodgers’ immigration lawyer, in emails as “a great team effort,” the second visa application was swiftly approved. In an email exchange shortly after the visa was procured, Balediata wrote: “We know he was in the DR illegally to begin with. The fact we said Haiti is his home and made sure Pablo understood this for his interview in Haiti should have also been enough to convey this.” (The Dodgers’ outside counsel declined comment.)

That's a paddlin'.

Archived