We are currently very predictable

Hunter2_1

I don't remember a time in recent history where we were a predictable offense to our detriment (we were obviously going deep to Moss all the time in 07 but that's different), but see this;

Of Michel’s 33 snaps over the first two weeks, he was handed the ball on the ground 23 times and targeted in the passing game five times. That’s an 85% touch rate. Michel got the ball on 17 of his 23 snaps last week. That basically means - if Sony Michel is on the field, we are feeding him the ball somehow.

Of those 33 plays (W1&2), just one was run out of 11-personnel (one RB, one TE, three WRs), meaning he is having to learn and adapt to NFL game speed with limited space to operate as the Patriots’ 12, 21, and 22-personnel packages and formations continue drawing stacked-box after stacked-box.

Conversely, 78% of the time that White is on the field - we pass the ball. See Michel - he's getting it, see White - we are passing. 

This needs to be changed, because it's very easy to play a predictable offense, especially one with little talent.

I get that we need to feed players we feel can break it open, but come on Josh, mix it up.

McD has always been a predictable play caller IMO. He throws some gadget plays, trick plays, and exotics in from time to time but for the most part he has a standard format of play calling with line-ups set for specific situations. Rarely will you see guys come in to run a play they dont normally run. Even when White gets carries out of the backfield its usually because Brady is killing the play or its a delay to burn time. 

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

McD has always been a predictable play caller IMO. He throws some gadget plays, trick plays, and exotics in from time to time but for the most part he has a standard format of play calling with line-ups set for specific situations. Rarely will you see guys come in to run a play they dont normally run. Even when White gets carries out of the backfield its usually because Brady is killing the play or its a delay to burn time. 

I think it may be slightly worse so far this season, probably due to the lack of talent. Brady has even felt the need to pipe up in his presser. I've never known a piece to come in for 33 plays and get the ball 85% of that time. Blount on the field was predictable, of course, but he wasn't absolutely forced the ball like Michel has been. To my recollection, at least.

Archived