Why is Ronald Jones a bust?

Humble_Beast

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah who would not call Goff a bust after that first year, he was not very good, but sure helps now he has the best RB arguably in the NFL and one of the best three deep WR cores in the NFL as well.  Oh not to mention arguably the best young offensive mind the NFL has seen in probably 20 years or so.  Yeah that helps his currently level of success a little as well, just like Mahomes is helped by being coached by Andy Reid offensively.

Will see if Jones can do anything as the year goes on, sure that Bucs run games needs something but even that will not help that piss poor defense or what they have shown so far this year.  

OK... So (1) you acknowledge that circumstances such as coaching, etc. can have an impact on a guy's success and development, thus it might be unfair to write the book on a guy who may have come into a less than ideal situation solely based on his first year.  (2) What is wrong with letting a guy play for a year and have an offseason to develop before applying the bust tag?

4 hours ago, raidersedge said:

He'll be fine. the big home run plays will come. I don't know why he was in the dog house but he's out now and the bucs coaching staff will hopefully know how to use him.

Perhaps they use the bye to get him more involved as a central part of the offense.

It's very hard to compare Ronald Jones to a QB in terms of, "well, Goff wasn't good as a rookie either...." The two positions could not be more different. A billion QB's have struggled early in their careers and turned it around. The same cannot be said for many RB's. They are expected to do their thing immediately at the NFL level, since there is no real learning curve to be had except for maybe pass protection schemes.

Ronald Jones will not be an effective NFL player. He lacks the vision and size in addition to having virtually no versatility as a pass game player in either pass pro or catching. Oh, and he fumbles.

23 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

It's very hard to compare Ronald Jones to a QB in terms of, "well, Goff wasn't good as a rookie either...." The two positions could not be more different. A billion QB's have struggled early in their careers and turned it around. The same cannot be said for many RB's. They are expected to do their thing immediately at the NFL level, since there is no real learning curve to be had except for maybe pass protection schemes.

Ronald Jones will not be an effective NFL player. He lacks the vision and size in addition to having virtually no versatility as a pass game player in either pass pro or catching. Oh, and he fumbles.

fumbling can be taught, pass catching can be taught. youre a fool if you think 4 games and 10 carries into his career he is a bust who can never be successful.

26 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

fumbling can be taught, pass catching can be taught. youre a fool if you think 4 games and 10 carries into his career he is a bust who can never be successful.

Name one RB that was never a pass catcher that became good at it. He'll never be a good pass catcher, which is what I'd expect from a finesse RB that doesn't break tackles. The fact that their run game sucks and he's only got 10 carries concerns me.

25 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Name one RB that was never a pass catcher that became good at it. He'll never be a good pass catcher, which is what I'd expect from a finesse RB that doesn't break tackles. The fact that their run game sucks and he's only got 10 carries concerns me.

melvin gordon... super easy. that reasoning is atrocious, almost laughably so. its a teachable skill but he'll never be good at it cause hes a finesse back that doesnt break tackles? that makes no sense, theyre not correlated, i mean thats frustratingly silly. again, 4 games and 10 carries... making definitive statements so early is very foolish.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I mean, you have to make the differentiation between not being able to catch out of the backfield and not being used as a pass catcher out of the backfield.  I'll use Jamaal Williams as example.  He had 15 receptions his final two seasons at BYU, but he had 25 his rookie year.  That's an example of not being utilized as a receiver.  Not saying Jamaal Williams is an elite pass catcher by any means, but he's pretty good out of the backfield.

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, you have to make the differentiation between not being able to catch out of the backfield and not being used as a pass catcher out of the backfield.  I'll use Jamaal Williams as example.  He had 15 receptions his final two seasons at BYU, but he had 25 his rookie year.  That's an example of not being utilized as a receiver.  Not saying Jamaal Williams is an elite pass catcher by any means, but he's pretty good out of the backfield.

I see your point, but Jamaal Williams is significantly bigger and excels at working between the tackles.

4 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

since you ignored my reponse aftwr i answered yout question...

what does size have to do with pass catching?

This weekend during the game, they talked about how he was no pass catcher coming into the league and he's very good at it now.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:00 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Jerick McKinnon? Definitely Gordon. 

Archived