GDT Week 4: KC @ DEN

jolly red giant

4th Quarter Notes

-          On the 3rd down that lead to the FG, Case had Lindsay wide open for a check down that would’ve lead to a 1st. Of all the times for Case to go straight to his check down (normally on 3rd and 10), 3rd and 3 makes the most sense but he didn’t even look Lindsay’s way

-          Pass protection has been excellent the last two drives

-          If we’d had played with the below level of discipline in our pass rush all game, we’d have won. Mahomes’ composure is so impressive

6H677J.jpg

-          3rd Cover 1 Defense in a row on this drive

-          Pacman has been superb in this game. You can see how well he knows the game. On 1st and 10, a dangerous shot situation, look how confident in his pedal he is to be in man coverage on Tyreek Hill, yet his eyes are in the backfield. He sees Mahomes pulling the trigger so he ends up breaking on the ball before Hill even starts to make his break. The pocket is too muddy for it to be a pump fake. Mahomes is lucky the ball is off, because that is Pick 6 time if the throw goes where Mahomes intended

74ap65.jpg

nowUKG.jpg

-          Hate the call on 3rd and 16. Free release from the slot for Hill with CHJ in man coverage 10 yards off. Harris has no help over the top so he’s playing too soft. Hill just stops and the marker for an easy throw and catch right down the middle of the field with nobody underneath (Mahomes leaves the pocket early and makes the throw harder than it needed to be). Leads to 4th and 1 that the Chiefs convert

-          1st and 20, we are in a Cover 3 mixed man concept. However, for some reason unbeknown to me, Simmons (the Safety down in the box), isn’t in man coverage on Kelce. That is left to Marshall who gets smoked for a 19 yard gainer

-          We’ve had no interior pass rush the entire game. Both starters and backups failing to impress

-          Marshall beaten again by Kelce. It’s great coverage to be fair, just a ridiculous catch and throw

-          Not sure if this play on our 2nd to last drive had an option to throw to Lindsay off the play action, but it sure looked nice to his side. Blockers in great position. Keenum opts for a very well covered Sanders for no gain

3bS6Bt.jpg

-          The Chiefs have done the same thing on 3rd and long (6+) all game. 2 deep safeties in 2 man under coverage, with bump and run at the LOS. The logic behind this is they don’t believe our OL can hold up long enough for our WR’s to shake the press, and/or that Case can’t make the throws inbetween deep Safeties and trail man coverage. In this instance, I think Case bails on the pocket too early and we have to Punt

-          Shocking punt by Marquette King. Stop if you’ve heard this one before

-          On probably the biggest play of the game, 2nd and 30, it’s Von Miller who loses contain to allow Mahomes to buy time and throw 23 yards downfield. We’ve got Simmons in man coverage on a WR which isn’t ideal but we just can’t allow Mahomes to rollout unopposed like that

-          He eluded to it himself after the game, but Shaq made a horrible decision to try and pass on his man, thus allowing him to run 20 yards downfield uncontested. That said, we once again allow Mahomes to roll out with ease. Gotsis didn’t know Barrett (the OLB to his side) was in coverage, thus he didn’t know he had contain

-          Great timing on that offside, Von ...

-          WHY are you faking a handoff with 1.30 left in the game at your own 25? Who is going to think your running the ball? The delay allows the blitzing CB to get home. Bolles doesn’t read it, but that’s on Case to call the protection

-          Great cover 2 recognition by Case on the long completion to Heuerman in the final drive. Chiefs actually bring a CB again on the blitz, and Case stands in to hit Jeff in the seam (best target area of the cover 2)

-          Courtland Sutton has to catch that ball on 4th down, which seals the game. Details …

Happy to field any questions!

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

4th Quarter Notes

-          On the 3rd down that lead to the FG, Case had Lindsay wide open for a check down that would’ve lead to a 1st. Of all the times for Case to go straight to his check down (normally on 3rd and 10), 3rd and 3 makes the most sense but he didn’t even look Lindsay’s way

-          Pass protection has been excellent the last two drives

-          If we’d had played with the below level of discipline in our pass rush all game, we’d have won. Mahomes’ composure is so impressive

6H677J.jpg

-          3rd Cover 1 Defense in a row on this drive

-          Pacman has been superb in this game. You can see how well he knows the game. On 1st and 10, a dangerous shot situation, look how confident in his pedal he is to be in man coverage on Tyreek Hill, yet his eyes are in the backfield. He sees Mahomes pulling the trigger so he ends up breaking on the ball before Hill even starts to make his break. The pocket is too muddy for it to be a pump fake. Mahomes is lucky the ball is off, because that is Pick 6 time if the throw goes where Mahomes intended

74ap65.jpg

nowUKG.jpg

-          Hate the call on 3rd and 16. Free release from the slot for Hill with CHJ in man coverage 10 yards off. Harris has no help over the top so he’s playing too soft. Hill just stops and the marker for an easy throw and catch right down the middle of the field with nobody underneath (Mahomes leaves the pocket early and makes the throw harder than it needed to be). Leads to 4th and 1 that the Chiefs convert

-          1st and 20, we are in a Cover 3 mixed man concept. However, for some reason unbeknown to me, Simmons (the Safety down in the box), isn’t in man coverage on Kelce. That is left to Marshall who gets smoked for a 19 yard gainer

-          We’ve had no interior pass rush the entire game. Both starters and backups failing to impress

-          Marshall beaten again by Kelce. It’s great coverage to be fair, just a ridiculous catch and throw

-          Not sure if this play on our 2nd to last drive had an option to throw to Lindsay off the play action, but it sure looked nice to his side. Blockers in great position. Keenum opts for a very well covered Sanders for no gain

3bS6Bt.jpg

-          The Chiefs have done the same thing on 3rd and long (6+) all game. 2 deep safeties in 2 man under coverage, with bump and run at the LOS. The logic behind this is they don’t believe our OL can hold up long enough for our WR’s to shake the press, and/or that Case can’t make the throws inbetween deep Safeties and trail man coverage. In this instance, I think Case bails on the pocket too early and we have to Punt

-          Shocking punt by Marquette King. Stop if you’ve heard this one before

-          On probably the biggest play of the game, 2nd and 30, it’s Von Miller who loses contain to allow Mahomes to buy time and throw 23 yards downfield. We’ve got Simmons in man coverage on a WR which isn’t ideal but we just can’t allow Mahomes to rollout unopposed like that

-          He eluded to it himself after the game, but Shaq made a horrible decision to try and pass on his man, thus allowing him to run 20 yards downfield uncontested. That said, we once again allow Mahomes to roll out with ease. Gotsis didn’t know Barrett (the OLB to his side) was in coverage, thus he didn’t know he had contain

-          Great timing on that offside, Von ...

-          WHY are you faking a handoff with 1.30 left in the game at your own 25? Who is going to think your running the ball? The delay allows the blitzing CB to get home. Bolles doesn’t read it, but that’s on Case to call the protection

-          Great cover 2 recognition by Case on the long completion to Heuerman in the final drive. Chiefs actually bring a CB again on the blitz, and Case stands in to hit Jeff in the seam (best target area of the cover 2)

-          Courtland Sutton has to catch that ball on 4th down, which seals the game. Details …

Happy to field any questions!

Another great write up @lomaxgrUK.  As far as the play action stuff, Denver has been doing this all year with little success in the shotgun.  I get it freezes the LBs, but it just hasn’t been successful at all.

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Sutton had that ball they were trying to do a hook and later on the play it was close. 

@lomaxgrUK great analysis -  on the Sutton play, as @thebestever6 was referencing (& @AnAngryAmerican earlier this thread) that's clearly a designed hook and ladder play - Suttons' supposed to catch and pitch at the same time to catch the D rolling to him.   The problem is that the timing was a hair off.   It was a fantastic call IMO.

Given there were only 12 secs when Sutton caught it, the hook & ladder was really a terrific idea - on 4th and 10, we couldn't take a shot to the EZ and get more shots, we needed to convert.   But with only 12 secs left when Sutton caught the ball (which was a quick hook pattern) there is no way with other WR's in the end zone, the ball on the sidelines and not in the middle of the field, that a ball can be clocked in 12 secs to get another play off (WR's have to get back to LOS, team has to get set - no way, no how in 12 secs - 10 secs is when you have the whole team around the ball, and it's in the middle of the field, so the refs don't need to run the ball back).   

The beauty of the hook and ladder there was Sanders could have gone out of bounds if the way wasn't clear for a TD.   Great call, just didn't quite execute (and no margin for error, once the ball is fumbled, only Sutton can return it).   Side note - no way that's an incomplete pass lol refs.  Totally irrelevant, but wrong call there.

5 hours ago, germ-x said:

Another great write up @lomaxgrUK.  As far as the play action stuff, Denver has been doing this all year with little success in the shotgun.  I get it freezes the LBs, but it just hasn’t been successful at all.

Yeah PA hasn't worked - but our run game should be setting it up to succeed.  That's totally on Keenum's lack of execution the first 4 games.

The thing about that last PA call, though - it's 4Q, 1:30 left in the game, 1 TO left.  NO ONE is going to buy that we are running.   Doing play action only allows the pass rusher to get upfield and it makes Keenum keep his back to the field, so he's slower at reading the open guys, and it hurts his already limited pocket awareness.  As @lomaxgrUK said...it's an awful, awful call.

I absolutely love what OC Musgrave has brought to the team since taking over for the inept McCoy.  And he's clearly a huge reason for OAK's success with Carr.   But this game, that PA call, that 4th and 1 call with Booker in the game (which telegraphed the fact it was going to be a fake pass, DT bailed everyone out there), the 3rd down TD run (KC had that sniffed out, Freeman was just a monster there combined with god-awful tackling), and the decision to get away from power run game when we had the KC team on the ropes, well, that game Musgrave really gets a F for (although the hook and ladder call, and the one that got DT open, would have been redeeming plays, so he gets credit there).   Keenum was the most responsible for our loss, but Musgrave could have won that by going away from less dependence on Case earlier in the game.  Oh well. 

So @lomaxgrUK, I have some OL observations here but admittedly based on minimal data. Comments from you would be greatly appreciated.

1. Our interior OL play looks really good, only limited by Learys lack of quickness in pass pro. Run blocking between the tackles looks textbook quite often. We've got some maulers in there that are aided by our OT's ability to seal and make great angle blocks at the second level.

2. It appears Keenum drops beyond the level of his protection a little too often.

3. Technique and OL cohesion seem light years ahead of last year. Although still learning to play as a unit the individual assignments as well as double teams seem to be carried out to a T.

4. Although still quite raw, a work in progress basically, it seems Bolles has taken a huge step forward from his rookie year,

As I said, this is based on minimal film or live game action and the photo's you provide from the "22". Anyway, I'd like your overall impression. Thanks!

On 10/4/2018 at 8:07 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

OL was excellent in the 2nd quarter, no doubt. Don't know why we went away from the run on the 2 minute drill. It can't have been due to concerns of time, because we ran inside screens and WR screens, the latter leading to no game and us having to burn a timeout.

I've seen nothing from the Chiefs so far to show they can stop HB power or counter when we use a 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB personnel set. We absolutely rolled them every time we used it.

Dude, leave some pic's on the "cutting room floor". Is VERY distracting to reading the thread. You can make many of your points without the "give-a-show" projector.

3 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Dude, leave some pic's on the "cutting room floor". Is VERY distracting to reading the thread. You can make many of your points without the "give-a-show" projector.

I love the pics. Worth a thousand words and all.

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So @lomaxgrUK, I have some OL observations here but admittedly based on minimal data. Comments from you would be greatly appreciated.

1. Our interior OL play looks really good, only limited by Learys lack of quickness in pass pro. Run blocking between the tackles looks textbook quite often. We've got some maulers in there that are aided by our OT's ability to seal and make great angle blocks at the second level.

2. It appears Keenum drops beyond the level of his protection a little too often.

3. Technique and OL cohesion seem light years ahead of last year. Although still learning to play as a unit the individual assignments as well as double teams seem to be carried out to a T.

4. Although still quite raw, a work in progress basically, it seems Bolles has taken a huge step forward from his rookie year,

As I said, this is based on minimal film or live game action and the photo's you provide from the "22". Anyway, I'd like your overall impression. Thanks!

1. I would agree with this assertion. The cohesion is definitely there, which really helps in the run game. Last week we were definitely aided by the fact Paradis was left 1v1 with the NT, allowing McGovern and Leary to peel to the 2nd level a lot quicker.

2. I think it's more that he doesn't step up to re-set himself enough. He's more inclined to bail when he feels outside pressure, rather than step up.

3. (Agreed - see point 1)

4. Whilst Bolles has improved for sure, his consistency still isn't good enough and I don't trust him on 3rd and long, especially on the road. Case doesn't help him at times too (see point 2).

16 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I want to try and reduce the picture size, that's for sure. I do actually make many of my points without the "Give-a-show" (whatever that means) projector, hence why there isn't a picture for every bullet point.

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

One other thing @lomaxgrUK. It looks like we've got a total team commitment to the running game, WR's TE's, you name it are all actively involved and doing a good job, probably more so than we've seen since Shanahan left. Is that the case?

TE's, certainly. We actually ask a lot from our WR's in the run game because of the amount of motion we use, whereby the motion WR can often end up being aligned behind our TE's. That said, DT has never been a ferocious blocker and Sanders is far from a top tier blocker.

But yes, on the whole, the effort is certainly there.

1. I would agree with this assertion. The cohesion is definitely there, which really helps in the run game. Last week we were definitely aided by the fact Paradis was left 1v1 with the NT, allowing McGovern and Leary to peel to the 2nd level a lot quicker.

2. I think it's more that he doesn't step up to re-set himself enough. He's more inclined to bail when he feels outside pressure, rather than step up.

4. Whilst Bolles has improved for sure, his consistency still isn't good enough and I don't trust him on 3rd and long, especially on the road. Case doesn't help him at times too (see point 2).

I want to try and reduce the picture size, that's for sure. I do actually make many of my points without the "Give-a-show" (whatever that means) projector, hence why there isn't a picture for every bullet point.

TE's, certainly. We actually ask a lot from our WR's in the run game because of the amount of motion we use, whereby the motion WR can often end up being aligned behind our TE's. That said, DT has never been a ferocious blocker and Sanders is far from a top tier blocker.

I love the pics in there great job man

As far as WR's I was thinking more of Hamilton and Sutton. Those two seem to like mixin' it up. 

Archived