Official Cut Jalen Mills thread

ninjapirate

In all seriousness, I've been doing CB charting for our guys so far this season where I go through all their coverage snaps. I've done first 3 games of Darby and Sidney, first 2 game of Mills. Once I have all 4 games for each of those guys I'll post what I've found. I will admit there is an unshakable bias going into these as I do like Darby and Sidney, and don't like Mills, but I am pretty thorough with writing down any notable plays so people can make up their own mind if they didn't see what I saw, and the catches allowed is very objective. You can be fairly certain if I mark a guy down for allowing a catch, it was his responsibility. A chance I won't mark him down for a catch in a situation where he should have been, but I usually have that in my notes section. I'm no expert by any means, but it should at give most of us a better idea of just where we stand with our CBs, and how much of this is Jalen (as opposed to scheme, and what are the circumstances of the big plays he has let up? etc.)

In defense of Jalen and the defense, they only gave up 12 to the Falcons, 16 to the Colts, 27 to the Bucs (during Fitz-Magic), and 23 to the Titans in regulation. The last two games have obviously been the worst performances, but what the hell is up with the offense?

If Mills and the defense holds the Titans to 23 regulation points, I'm expecting a win. Not overtime. Our offense has been slacking. We haven't scored 30 points in any game so far.

Combo platter 

We haven't done much in all 3 phases of the game. 

A little offense here a little defense there, one key ST play here. 

Until we play 4 quarters of good football in all 3 phases I'll say we're still dealing with variables (injuries/ motivation) and execution.  

So upon further review of the tape, Davis' big grab at 7:55 in the 4th wasn't Mills fault, nor was the near deep completion in OT that the WR dropped/Mills helped jostle loose. In both cases we looked to be in cover 3, and the safety with middle deep third was out of position. Think it was Jenkins 1st time, Graham in OT. Mills ended as the closest man to the play in both instances. Granted both of these plays Mills was lined up over the WR in question, but if we say it was cover 3, I  think we can also say Mills is not to blame since they took place dead middle/middle left of the field while Mills was playing the deep right.

He's not a good starting CB, but I honestly don't think he's too far off from average either after looking at first 4 games. Hard to say for sure though when I only tend to look at CBs with great reputations, he certainly charts the worst out of all of them. Interestingly we leave him on an island a handful of times a game, Schwartz confidence in Mills is no joke. His biggest issue is by far the DPI. 

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

So upon further review of the tape, Davis' big grab at 7:55 in the 4th wasn't Mills fault, nor was the near deep completion in OT that the WR dropped/Mills helped jostle loose. In both cases we looked to be in cover 3, and the safety with middle deep third was out of position. Think it was Jenkins 1st time, Graham in OT. Mills ended as the closest man to the play in both instances. Granted both of these plays Mills was lined up over the WR in question, but if we say it was cover 3, I  think we can also say Mills is not to blame since they took place dead middle/middle left of the field while Mills was playing the deep right.

He's not a good starting CB, but I honestly don't think he's too far off from average either after looking at first 4 games. Hard to say for sure though when I only tend to look at CBs with great reputations, he certainly charts the worst out of all of them. Interestingly we leave him on an island a handful of times a game, Schwartz confidence in Mills is no joke. His biggest issue is by far the DPI. 

Hard to tell who is at fault unless you're on the coaching staff or a bug in those meetings. I did read somewhere that we played a lot of inverted cover 2 with the corners playing deep halves after the injury to McLeod. The niche coverage let's everyone know that they aren't comfortable having Jenkins/Hall/Graham play in space on the backend. I expect tons of shots taking by teams going forward.  

Archived