Seahawks want 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas; Update: Thomas out for the year with broken leg

DigInBoys

6 minutes ago, rthom348 said:

Lol. Yeah, totally. You wouldn't play for the franchise tag. You wouldn't play for millions. That's just...beneath you. ???

(Don't get sensitive)

I don't think you understand what I was getting at or what the franchise tag is.

18 minutes ago, skaterbirdhouse said:

Used to like this guy, not anymore. The reality is he shouldn’t of signed a four year extension if he didn’t want to play it out.

What you are saying is akin to, "The team shouldn't have signed him if they weren't going to let him play it out." The reality is players are allowed to try and renegotiate in their own best interests just like teams are allowed to cut players that they no longer want to pay. There are no guarantees either way. So how is ET the bad guy???

24 minutes ago, rthom348 said:

Lol. Yeah, totally. You wouldn't play for the franchise tag. You wouldn't play for millions. That's just...beneath you. ???

(Don't get sensitive)

I'm not sure you understand what he is saying. Earl Thomas was trying to negotiate for one last big payday. He knew that if he went out and played and got injured, that last big payday was gone. Well... he played. And got hurt. And he can kiss that last big payday goodbye. That is why people are saying, "If I was him, I dont step on the field until I get some guarantees." It has nothing to do with being "beneath" anyone. It's about dollars.

29 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

Players need to demand more guaranteed money. 

Would have made no difference in this case. Thomas is in the final year of his contract and was not going to get cut. If his contract would have been fully guaranteed 4 years ago he would have made the same $ by now. 

This is simple a case you cannot prevent: you have a good player still under contract for a year and a franchise that does not want to commit to a new contract after next season (at least not on the terms of the player. This basically forces a player to perform in his last contract year to get a big payday at another franchise with all the risks that includes. 

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Earl Thomas is going to be fine. He's making $10.5 million this year and some team will sign him as a FA next year for probably a lot more than that.

The Seahawks are the ones who screwed themselves. They're gonna get nothing because they didn't want to pay OR deal Thomas.

He could join Sherman in SF. 

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

I'm not sure you understand what he is saying. Earl Thomas was trying to negotiate for one last big payday. He knew that if he went out and played and got injured, that last big payday was gone. Well... he played. And got hurt. And he can kiss that last big payday goodbye. That is why people are saying, "If I was him, I dont step on the field until I get some guarantees." It has nothing to do with being "beneath" anyone. It's about dollars.

I don't think you understand what having a sense of humor in a forum is.

Since we have to take everything literal...everyone knows Earl Thomas' situation. Not picking sides, but Seattle didn't hold him at gunpoint to play. He signed his contract and they took the stance that it's on him to either play it out, or sit it out(with the chance of being traded). It's unfortunate what happened to him, but Seattle's front office didn't break his leg. I understand contracts are unfair, but he doesn't really have tons of leverage here. Maybe if this was still his rookie contract, I could give him the benefit of doubt, but meh.

I wish he didn't get hurt.

Oh, and people should stop saying "that last payday is gone." It's a fracture. He's going to be fine and highly sought after. And no, the  awful safety market from 2018 won't affect him in 2019 either. He will be a Dallas Cowboy and Jerry will pay him a lot of money. 

3 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

I mean, shouldn't he be ticked at the NFLPA for the deal they struck on the last CBA? Teams gotta look out for themselves too. They maybe thought Thomas was an injury risk for a long term deal. Looks like they were right.

Archived