Seahawks want 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas; Update: Thomas out for the year with broken leg

DigInBoys

The Chiefs were unwilling to meet that price but would be interested if the Seahawks were to lower their demands. The Cowboys offered a second-round pick at one point during the preseason, but Seattle wanted more from Dallas, especially considering that the teams were playing in Week 3.

But now that matchup has passed, and Kansas City has remained interested -- with other NFL executives handicapping the Chiefs as the favorite for multiple reasons. The Chiefs have an extra second-round pick from the Rams thanks to their Marcus Peters trade last year. Chiefs general manager Brett Veach is considered aggressive by many, and Kansas City is in the AFC, out of conference for Seattle.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24845233/seattle-seahawks-stuck-2nd-round-pick-trade-compensation-earl-thomas

Fair asking price?

1 minute ago, DigInBoys said:

No, they should have taken the Cowboys offer at the draft. Teams have been pretty much established by this time and everyone knows what they have. It's not teams anymore wwho are trying to build and complete their rosters it's teams that know what they have now and will only decide based upon whether or not Earl is good enough to get them over a hump for a SB run. Only a few teams that will consider that. And Thomas will be on the wrong side of 30 at a position that doesn't have a high lifespan in the NFL and will want a closing contract. There may be 2 or 3 teams that might even consider that kind of offer. Otherwise he's only worth a 3rd now if that considering they can just wait out the season with the Seahawks and not waste the draft pick.

Of course it's a fair price.  Thomas is an elite safety.  If you're a team that is going to make the postseason and you're serious about trying to win a Super Bowl, Thomas takes your secondary to another level.  Extremely high IQ, best zone cover safety in the league and tremendous instincts.  The Chiefs look like they're going to be a serious playoff contender, so adding an elite defender should be very appealing for them.

I'm not sure what Eric Berry's status is, but Thomas obviously helps if Berry will miss time.  When Berry comes back, he and Thomas would make one of the best safety duos ever.

As a Seahawks fan, I've always been on record that I do not want the team to trade Earl Thomas.  Since the beginning I have wanted the team to pay Thomas the contract he deserves.  As time as passed, it appears that this may be the end of their relationship with Thomas and so it looks like trading him is probably the best outcome for the team.  Sad day.

4 minutes ago, Piquel said:

I doubt the chiefs give up a second considering that's what they got for Peters.  A troubled player on rookie deal >  ~30yo not happy without top dollar.

I think that @showtime is right, though. For a team in the Chief's position, it makes enormous amounts of sense. And if I'm not mistaken, it wouldn't be hard for them to pay Thomas. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think that @showtime is right, though. For a team in the Chief's position, it makes enormous amounts of sense. And if I'm not mistaken, it wouldn't be hard for them to pay Thomas. 

It might not be hard, but it wouldn't be easy to pay Thomas either.  

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

You mean because of his age? 

Because we don't have lots of cap room.  Future is better, but Hill, Fuller, c Jones, Ford?, etc will need big deals soon.  20+ m for two safeties plus 20m for Houston.

15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Please do this, Chiefs.

I'd do it if it's for a third +, If kc picks 31 or 32 then pick becomes a 2nd.  And ET agrees to four year extension ~10m per with free out for kc after 3 years.  He can finish his career at Dallas after 3-4 years here if he still wants to. 

36 minutes ago, Piquel said:

Because we don't have lots of cap room.  Future is better, but Hill, Fuller, c Jones, Ford?, etc will need big deals soon.  20+ m for two safeties plus 20m for Houston.

It's true you guys (assuming you're a Chiefs fan by the post) have a lot of potential money looming in players who aren't first round picks, which does complicate things. Without those fifth year options, that does make things stickier, and I admit I didn't fully consider that. Still I hope KC does make a trade.. Could make them a Super Bowl team this year. 

Archived