Seahawks want 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas; Update: Thomas out for the year with broken leg

DigInBoys

Just now, BayRaider said:

Earl might want a one year prove it deal honestly. I think he’d only half the contract after his injury. 

That's what the "extension" would be for the most part - an addendum that tacks on a year in 2019, gives him a few bonuses that would be tied to his rehab assignment ($250,000 for full participation in TC, etc) and keep him in the books through 2019 at most.

As a GM, you have to also assume that he might not recover - injuries are tricky no matter the severity - so you're not looking to extend him for TOO long.

I don't think Earl Thomas wants a one year prove it deal.  His entire basis of not wanting to play this season was the fact that he was on a one year deal.  I believe he wants a longer term deal.  Probably around a 3-4 year deal.  I'm assuming that's what the Cowboys and Chiefs would have given him had they traded for him before the injury.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

If someone is smart, they try to buy low on him now - see if Seattle will take a 5th and a 6th in 2019. Thomas is injured, but it's not some debilitating injury involving ligaments and tendons (well, not that I know of at least).

Trade for him, give him an extension that tacks on a year (in essence, a prove it contract for next season) and maybe even tie in some bonuses for his rehab. Get him committed for next season, and you'll get a dangerous FS that cost you very little.

I was going to post this same exact thing. If I'm a team that is interested in signing him this off season, why not still trade for him now? I don't know if the rules allow for IR'd players to be traded, but if they do, why not? Ask permission to talk extension, etc etc. Thomas has seemed like he was open to playing ball in contract negotiations this entire time, so he seems to be willing to negotiate. If the seahawks will grant permission to talk extension (and they should), then I'd be looking into this if I were a team that had interest in him. 

8 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think He's getting Franchised in hopes of trading him regardless. Now whether they recind that Tag if nothing substantial is offered is the only question in my mind.

I think the FO is just as stubborn as ET and doesn't want to give into his wishes to be released so he can go to Dallas. Them Trying not to set a bad precedent for others in the future to do the same.

Come one come all just Mitch and Complain your way off the team and out of Seattle. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

I think if they franchise him again this will end the franchise tag for good when the new CBA is brought up. I get it, the Seahawks want a good deal. But Earl has the right to get the most for his livelihood during and after football and right now they are putting that in jeopardy.

52 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I think if they franchise him again this will end the franchise tag for good when the new CBA is brought up. I get it, the Seahawks want a good deal. But Earl has the right to get the most for his livelihood during and after football and right now they are putting that in jeopardy.

Earl has the right to be employed which he currently is by Seattle. If they choose to Tag him again to get something out of it, that's there right. Just like it was when making him the highest paid safety a few years back when he wasn't complaining about that deal.

Franchise Tag won't be going anywhere in the next CBA, regardless of how long of a Strike We have. There will be a strike! To many issues not to.

16 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Earl has the right to be employed which he currently is by Seattle. If they choose to Tag him again to get something out of it, that's there right. Just like it was when making him the highest paid safety a few years back when he wasn't complaining about that deal.

Franchise Tag won't be going anywhere in the next CBA, regardless of how long of a Strike We have. There will be a strike! To many issues not to.

If you say so. But don't be surprised if it's gone when the next CBA comes around and this is one of the reason's for it being gone.

22 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

If you say so. But don't be surprised if it's gone when the next CBA comes around and this is one of the reason's for it being gone.

Franchise Tag will never, ever be gone! Adjusted, Limited with consecutive years possibly but it will always be at the Organization's disposal moving forward.

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Franchise Tag will never, ever be gone! Adjusted, Limited with consecutive years possibly but it will always be at the Organization's disposal moving forward.

I think it depends. I could see a situation where the tag is limited to top 5 player money (but maybe if that causes you to go over the cap the excess isn't counted as long as if you subtract the contract you are under the cap) and it is only a one year limit and you can't use it on rookies. I think that's a fair trade off. 

17 hours ago, animaltested said:

Seattle aint tagging him. They just don't use it [last time was 2010 on Olindo Mare.. a Kicker].

Let him walk, reap the mid round comp pick. Use that 10-12 million on Frank Clark and Jarren Reed extensions. 

Maybe. That said, safety is one of the lowest tag numbers. I believe his cap number may actually go down year over year if they were to use it. 

14 hours ago, St Vince said:

RIP legion of boom.

Born 8/2/12  

Death 9/30/18

Died way before that. That was just the final piece left. It died the minute Sherman and Chancellor stop suiting up for Seattle.

In many ways the real LOB was gone after Browner left too. They were just filling his spot  (very well mind you)  with variation's like the Temptations! 

Archived