Seahawks want 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas; Update: Thomas out for the year with broken leg

DigInBoys

6 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

I get wanting an extension but really, financial security??? He made tons of money there. I get both sides outlook on it but let's not act like he's making 40k a year and wants a little more money so he can send his kid to college.

He made a lot of money, yes. That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to continue to be paid fairly. Seahawks didn't want to pay him, and refused to move him basically. Unfortunate what happened to him.

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

He made a lot of money, yes. That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to continue to be paid fairly. Seahawks didn't want to pay him, and refused to move him basically. Unfortunate what happened to him.

What does fairly mean? Was he grossly underpaid? Are we really going to blame a team for doing what is best for the team? Clearly what is best for Seattle in 2018 is to have Earl Thomas on the field playing in a Seahawks uniform.

1 minute ago, Mossburg said:

What does fairly mean? Was he grossly underpaid? Are we really going to blame a team for doing what is best for the team? Clearly what is best for Seattle in 2018 is to have Earl Thomas on the field playing in a Seahawks uniform.

I try to side with players more than organizations as it's pretty clear to me the players get shafted in most situations. 

7 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I try to side with players more than organizations as it's pretty clear to me the players get shafted in most situations. 

I mean the team isn't there to shaft the player because they're greedy (no more greedy than the player at least) or it's personal, they're just doing what they think is best for them in terms of wins and losses within the CBA rules. They don't want to pay an aging DB before his deal is up, and they don't want to trade him because they want him on the field because clearly they're better with him. Thomas wants more security for himself. If they pay him and he gets hurt the team is shafted. If they pay him and he starts to suck or mails it in the team is shafted. No party really worth blaming here.

1 minute ago, Mossburg said:

I mean the team isn't there to shaft the player because they're greedy (no more greedy than the player at least) or it's personal, they're just doing what they think is best for them in terms of wins and losses within the CBA rules. They don't want to pay an aging DB before his deal is up, and they don't want to trade him because they want him on the field because clearly they're better with him. Thomas wants more security for himself. No party really worth blaming here.

I mean, weren't the Cowboys willing to deal a 2nd round for him during the draft but the Seahawks were steadfast on a 1st+?  And then now before the injury, it was reported that they were willing to accept a 2nd round pick for him.  That's a team who doesn't know the market for their player.  We're seeing it right now with Pittsburgh with Le'Veon Bell.  They're asking for too much in return for what amounts to a rental, and if they don't adjust their demands they're going to overplay the market.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Correct, directed towards more so the front office. 

Are we assuming this is the case or was there some report to suggest this?

I know it's the easier thing to believe, but who knows what happens in a teams locker room.

3 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Are we assuming this is the case or was there some report to suggest this?

I know it's the easier thing to believe, but who knows what happens in a teams locker room.

Just look at the quotes after the game by his teammates:

"Earl wanted an extension and stuff like that and at the end of the day he didn't get that and it sucked," Clark told the Seattle Times' Bob Condotta. "It sucks to see a guy who like I said puts his all into something, puts his all into his team and he doesn’t get what he deserves.’’

"That's the crazy part of our business," Wagner told the News Tribune's Gregg Bell after the game. "If he doesn't come, then he's not a team player. If he does come and gets hurt, it's he shouldn't have come It's a position we get put in, often. It's an unfortunate situation. I think that's why you have to be able to play football and handle the business side of the game. If I was him, I'd be pissed off."

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/Article/Bobby-Wagner-Frank-Clark-Earl-Thomas-middle-finger-122748720/

Why exactly would he flipping off his teammates? Clearly he is ticked he wasn't dealt or given an extension by Seattle and now the injury could affect his future pay. Hence the bird being towards the front office and not his teammates.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just look at the quotes after the game by his teammates:

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/Article/Bobby-Wagner-Frank-Clark-Earl-Thomas-middle-finger-122748720/

Why exactly would he flipping off his teammates? Clearly he is ticked he wasn't dealt or given an extension by Seattle and now the injury could affect his future pay. Hence the bird being towards the front office and not his teammates.

I dunno, for reasons we don't know? Could be directed at everyone (team and FO), or maybe some teammates? I don't think those quotes alone prove much. Just shows two teammates understand his frustration.

6 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I dunno, for reasons we don't know? Could be directed at everyone (team and FO), or maybe some teammates? I don't think those quotes alone prove much. Just shows two teammates understand his frustration.

So what exactly would be his reason for flipping off his teammates? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

So what exactly would be his reason for flipping off his teammates? 

I have no idea. Maybe some were pissed he wasn't putting in his best effort or something and there was a scene in the locker room?

Just because we don't know doesn't mean something isn't there. I'm not trying to say he was, just saying we have no idea, and obviously based on what we do know it makes more sense that this was directed at non-players.

44 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don't see why ET has a right to a contract extension. Or the right to be traded when he wants. The Seahawks paid him for his services, he was getting paid for his services this year. If he played for the Seahawks next year he would agree to a contract where he is paid fairly for his services. If not he will agree to go to another team where he agreed to the contract. 

7 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I have no idea. Maybe some were pissed he wasn't putting in his best effort or something and there was a scene in the locker room?

Just because we don't know doesn't mean something isn't there. I'm not trying to say he was, just saying we have no idea, and obviously based on what we do know it makes more sense that this was directed at non-players.

Considering the fact he has been playing at an elite level to start the season I doubt it had anything to do with him not putting his best effort. I mean not showing up to practice? Sure, but effort no way.

Just doesn't make sense here for him to being upset at his teammates. Can one be 100% sure it was directed towards the front office? Of course not, but pretty damn close to being a sure bet it was directed towards them. Last I checked 1+1 is still 2 right???

Archived