Seahawks want 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas; Update: Thomas out for the year with broken leg

DigInBoys

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You guys had your chance already! Or how about this, you guys can have Thomas as long as we get Lawrence instead??? 

You want Lawrence? 2 1st's Deforest Buckner and you keep your grubby little hands off Thomas! :P

So DAL went from being willing to give up a 2nd round pick to Thomas, and then have to extend him to make the deal worth it, and likely to big-market dollars....to now being able to get him signed in FA (where Thomas has already stated it's his #1 destination to play), likely at some injury-type discount..and no pick.

Are we sure that Thomas didn't get Tonya Harding-Jeff Gillooly'd by a DAL fan on that play?

The Seahawks may have screwed themselves but I fail to see how they're the bad guys here.  The guy was under contract and they hadn't gotten a trade offer of what they deemed to be acceptable value yet.

I'm sick of this crying and whining from players all the time.

41 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

The Seahawks may have screwed themselves but I fail to see how they're the bad guys here.  The guy was under contract and they hadn't gotten a trade offer of what they deemed to be acceptable value yet.

Exactly, everyone talks about the owners being greedy and they have the right to do so. Nobody opens a business out of the goodness of their heart, they open a business to try and be rich. There's a lot more to being an owner than cashing checks from endorsement money and fan money, they have to pay out too.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

So DAL went from being willing to give up a 2nd round pick to Thomas, and then have to extend him to make the deal worth it, and likely to big-market dollars....to now being able to get him signed in FA (where Thomas has already stated it's his #1 destination to play), likely at some injury-type discount..and no pick.

Wouldn't they get a compensatory pick based on the size contract he signs? Or it would at least play a role in the formula.

17 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

At the end of the day, throw all the stupid politics away, and ask, who is the one employing and doing the paying? Thomas and Bell can shut their holes up...

Outside of the military... is this how workplaces operate? Not mine.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Wouldn't they get a compensatory pick based on the size contract he signs? Or it would at least play a role in the formula.

SEA would get a comp pick if Thomas got paid well (but likely not an end of 3rd, unless he makes a Pro Bowl, not like he'd make a ton of $) - but DAL wouldn't be giving the pick up, that's the league's comp pick pool.   And SEA wouldn't be getting it until 2020, so it's a year later.  That also knocks the value of a pick back 1 round in terms of value.

DAL's signing of Thomas might lose them a potential comp pick if someone significant left in FA - but I don't know that they will let Lawrence or Irving walk (or if they do let them walk, likely it's because of suspension/regression that makes their return nowhere near elite comp pick wise).   DAL actually some cap room now, so I don't think they were gaining picks - it's just more who they are spending that $ on next year.

The best comp pick is end-of-3rd...and a year later.  Given that, DAL's offer of a 2nd in 2019 was just one that's mind-boggling that SEA passed on (it's literally 2 rounds better than best case scenario of an end-of-3rd 2020 pick).     Epically mind-boggling.   DAL now likely gets to sign him and only lose cap space - and probably less cap space than if they traded for him, too.  Wowsers.

1 hour ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Exactly, everyone talks about the owners being greedy and they have the right to do so. Nobody opens a business out of the goodness of their heart, they open a business to try and be rich. There's a lot more to being an owner than cashing checks from endorsement money and fan money, they have to pay out too.

If Jerry jones falls and breaks his leg tomorrow hes still gonna collect his money throughout the season. Players have a right to to secure their future for what happens after the nfl. Given the shelf life of players. I don't  begrudge anyone who wants to make their future more secure. 

The Seahawks still have the franchise tag.  The tag value for safeties is roughly in line with what the Seahawks have already been paying Thomas.  This is why the Seahawks have been playing hardball in terms of trading Thomas.  They're not going to trade him until there is an offer they're happy with.  I'm not saying they're going to tag him, but the possibility is still there.  Also, for people saying that the Seahawks won't get anything for Thomas.... I don't know about that.  Trading for him would be smart if there is a team out there that 100% wants to acquire his services over letting him go into FA and having a bidding war over him where they might potential lose out.

3 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Except they did.  Dallas offered their 2nd round pick sometime around the draft, and the Seahawks turned it down wanting a 1st+ for Earl Thomas.  After a few weeks into the season, that asking price dropped to the 2nd round and they weren't getting a whole lot of traction outside of Kansas City apparently.  Seattle misjudged the trade market for Earl Thomas during the draft, and they adjusted their trade value accordingly in recent weeks.  You're not going to get a FRP for a rental.  That applies to Le'Veon Bell as well.  The fact that Earl Thomas has been playing at an elite level, and the Seahawks showed no interest in discussing a long-term deal.

Archived