The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

OttoGrahamsGhost

Hello all my fellow Browns fans.  This one hurt more than the last 30 some over the last few years because it looked like we were going to pull it out all game. Although the zebras played a huge role in this game ending the way it did, it should have never been that close.  

The Good:

1. Nick Chubb looked great, I'm dumbfounded as why they can't get him more involved.

2. Bakers accuracy looked spot on for most of the game, very few inaccurate passes.  

3. Myles Garrett is a beast.  I am not an official, but it looked to me like he was held ALL NIGHT.  He had a good night of 9 tackles (7 solo), a half sack, and a TFL.  He was third in tackles behind Schobert and Carrie. 

The Bad: 

1.  Turnovers.  The turnovers definitely cost us the game.  The pick-6 and the two fumbles inside of our own 20 directly led to 21 points for Oakland and kept them in the game.  Baker had 4 total turnovers today.  Although, I would only accredit 2 to him (the strip sack and the bad interception near the end of regulation), Tretter and Callaway both should be accountable for the other 2. 

2. The injured defensive backfield.  Injuries suck and the DBs aren't world beaters by any means, but losing Mitchell for any series length of time would have a huge impact on this team.  He is no doubt the second best corner on the team.  Gaines is serviceable replacement, but Carrie is horrible.  Curious to see what happens in the next couples weeks to bolster our DBs. 

3. Play calls. The first red zone trip we were at the goal line with 2 big bodied RBs who can power into the end zone and they tried to be tricky.  The Callaway sweeps seem like a waste to me, I understand trying to get the ball in his hands but he hasn't shown much thus far as a threat on an WR sweep.  

The Ugly:

1. Special teams.  They were horrible. Again. Time to make a change. (Kicker looked good though.)

2. WR hands. I can't remember seeing that many dropped passes in an NFL game.  There were at least 7 balls I can remember hitting a receiver in the hands (or chest, because why catch with your hands). Catch the damn ball. 

3. Coaching. Hue is now 2-34-1, you gotta think the pressure is starting to build up in the front office.  This was a winnable game, if they don't start to show a little more life I would expect big changes soon.  Hue will probably make a change first to show Haslam he is being proactive, but I can't imagine losing many more like that and him sticking around much longer. 

Bonus:

1. Officiating sucked on both ends.  Marshawn Lynch would have probably had a TD if not for a quick whistle and Ogunjobi would have probably had a touchdown as well if not for the quickest whistle I have ever heard.  The reversing the spot for a first down was horrendous.  Myles getting held blatantly every play was bad.  There were a few other calls that were really bad that I can't think of right now. But the officials today were definitely not good, at all. 

Good.

Baker, he is guna stud out. 

Good and bad

Chubb  hyde might stronger as the game goes on but chubb is better every single snap. On one of his log rn he trashed a lb then out ran conley, who had a decent angle.  we are down 50 yards by playing hyde a head of chubb.

Bad. Greg is the most hit and miss and coordinator, 42 to that teams is awful. We would be better covering with 7 and rushing ogunjobi, Garrett, big thighs and whoever else.

Ugly. Peppers kick returning and Amos.

Good.

1. John Dorsey’s first draft class.  Mayfield, Ward, Chubb, Calloway, Avery and Harrison as an UDFA. ?. That looks like 6 guys who are legit as of right now.  Damn impressive.

2. Todd Haley.  Everyone always likes to complain about the coaching, myself included, but I really liked what we were doing offensively.  We were running the ball well and Baker was throwing down field.

3. Myles Garrett.  Holy ish that guy was unblockable all game. I’ll be shocked if he’s not in the running for DPOTY.

Bad.

Jabril Peppers the returner. I’ve yet to see him make a play as a returner.  Half the kicks it just seems like he runs up his own players arse, someone brushes against him and he falls down.  I see no explosion, no toughness.

Our WR/TE hands.  I realize all QB’s deal with drops, but damn Baker laid a few decent throws out there that really need to be hauled in.  Calloway, Landry, Higgins, and Njoku all dropped one that I can remember.  They need to do better to help their rookie QB.

Defensive coaching.  I realize turnovers played a big role in this, but 45 points are 45 points.  It seemed like WR were running open on the same ish all day.

The ugly.

I mean, what else could it be?  The officials blew a number of HUGE calls yesterday (again) and its getting to the point the officiating is impacting the product the league is putting on the field.  The quick whistles on Lynch and Carr were absurd.  Overturning that call was unexplainable.  The roughing call against Arden Key was laughable. All of the minor flags throughout the course of the game, they ruin the flow and the viewer experience.  Did the infraction impact the play?  If so, call it.  If not, swallow your whistle.  

Good:

I thought the OL as a whole was very good

Baker was good

Running game was good

Garrett was good

Mitchell was good until he got hurt

Bad:

Special teams (As per usual)

Our DBs outside of Ward and Randall

Our interior pass rush outside of Ogunjobi

Our pass rush opposite of Garrett when Avery is not on the field

Schobert is overrated

Collins is overrated

Ugly:

Wish we would have had some stones and kept Kendricks,

Slow down on all of the passing, the RPO starts with "Run"

We need another option next to Ogunjobi

This is where I wish we would have gotten a shot at Sam Beal in the supplemental draft

Peppers should never touch the ball at KR ever again

Give Junior Gallette, Cortney Upshaw a shot as an extra situational pass rusher

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

1. John Dorsey’s first draft class.  Mayfield, Ward, Chubb, Calloway, Avery and Harrison as an UDFA. ?. That looks like 6 guys who are legit as of right now.  Damn impressive.

Watching this game made me a little sad of what could have been though.

I was screaming for Mo Hurst by the end of the second round.

The dude was great in college and will be a good pro.

Imagine him next to Ogunjonbi....

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You and a number of others, @freakygeniuskid comes to mind.

Yep. I posted during the game that Hurst should've either been a 1st round pick or undrafted and never play again. Either his medical is literally life-threatening, in which case shame on the team that plays him (yes, his life is ultimately his own, but helping someone commit suicide is terrible), OR he is an absolute monster.

Imagine Hurst on our line instead of Chad Thomas. Mmmmmmmmm.

17 hours ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

1. Officiating sucked on both ends.  Marshawn Lynch would have probably had a TD if not for a quick whistle and Ogunjobi would have probably had a touchdown as well if not for the quickest whistle I have ever heard.  The reversing the spot for a first down was horrendous.  Myles getting held blatantly every play was bad.  There were a few other calls that were really bad that I can't think of right now. But the officials today were definitely not good, at all. 

Yeah,  it sucked on both ends, but went against us more often. The refs handed the Raiders the game - that should never happen.

15 hours ago, dawgdish said:

Yeah,  it sucked on both ends, but went against us more often. The refs handed the Raiders the game - that should never happen.

Eh, not really.

The refs handed them a 4th down.  We chose to punt.  We could have stopped their offense.  We could have stopped the 2pt conversion, we could have scored in overtime.

It’s easier to blame the refs than accept the Browns blew a game, but that’s pretty much what happened.

19 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Watching this game made me a little sad of what could have been though.

I was screaming for Mo Hurst by the end of the second round.

The dude was great in college and will be a good pro.

Imagine him next to Ogunjonbi....

I think I said at one point, we were looking at Hurst, we also could have had BJ Hill or Nathan Shepherd as well.

18 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe Chad Thomas develops, maybe he doesn’t, but nobody hits on all their picks.

So far Mayfield, Ward, Chubb, Calloway and Avery have the look of a fantastic draft class.

I’ve said this before this might be the best rookie class in Browns history if you add in the likes of Harrison and if Ratley develops

Archived