The Measurement

NudeTayne

The Measurement  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hue have had us go for it on 4th down?

With the refs officially declaring the ball short by a foot or so, with how the defense was playing and the momentum of the game, would it have been worth attempting to put the game away by going for it--QB sneak or FB dive etc.--on 4th & short?

Hindsight is always 20/20. But yeah, I thought so. The way we were running the ball, and the fact that we had all the momentum led me to believe that we would have converted.

Still, we're on our own 20 yard line. Conventional thinking of NFL teams is that you've gotta punt the ball from that far back. And, if they couldn't convert, could you imagine the criticism that Hue Jackson would be facing? 

However, the courage by this team to go for two on all those TD's were bold and aggressive, I love it. It showed Hue's faith in Baker's abilities. That's playing to win. Maybe the decision to punt was playing not to lose instead.

I would have gone for it, but I'm not a coach.

The worst part of debating hypotheticals...we'll never know. And that sucks.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Qb sneak.

That's what I said in the GDT. The normal call there is to punt, but in a game like that where the team will the ball last often wins I'd go for it with a sneak and take  my chances. I'd say sneaks for less than a yard work more often than giving the opposition the ball with a minute and a half left. 

I don't think i was a bad decision by hue to punt. 

i don't think hue had a bad game as coach, he did a good challenge with the Duke 2 pointer. 

the worst coaches today were Williams, running too much cover 2 zone

amos.

and whoever stopped chubb getting the ball. 

Sneak the ball ffs.

if you can’t get an inch, you don’t deserve to win.

you’re also fighting the Browns mystique of losing in spectacular fashion. As soon as we punted that ball, I knew we had lost.

***** move from a ***** coach who also sat there and watched us give up 20 points straight with no adjustments.

He needs to go. He’s rubbish. He’s our Jeff Fisher.

Hue was in a tough spot imo.  

If he goes for it AND THEY MAKE IT, everyone is cool.  Most would still never give him any credit, but they’d be happy with the outcome.

If he goes for it and they fail, people are beating Haslam’s door down demanding the head of the incompetent fool who gave them the ball at the 20.

He chose to punt the ball away and force the opponent to go the distance and score as well as get the 2 pt conversion to win.  They did just that.  

Punting was the right call then, it’s the right call now tbh.

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hue was in a tough spot imo.  

If he goes for it AND THEY MAKE IT, everyone is cool.  Most would still never give him any credit, but they’d be happy with the outcome.

If he goes for it and they fail, people are beating Haslam’s door down demanding the head of the incompetent fool who gave them the ball at the 20.

He chose to punt the ball away and force the opponent to go the distance and score as well as get the 2 pt conversion to win.  They did just that.  

Punting was the right call then, it’s the right call now tbh.

You have to have big nuts in a situation like that. Sneaking for the game there is a big **** move that would win you a lot of respect from the players and fans.

Yeah it could backfire but f it, most winners are the ones who go for the jugular and assume the risk in order to achieve that big moment.

And to be honest, how often does a qb sneak not gain an inch? I maintain with a strong degree of likelihood that had we sneaked the ball there, we would’ve won the game. And not lost it like we did.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

You have to have big nuts in a situation like that. Sneaking for the game there is a big **** move that would win you a lot of respect from the players and fans.

Yeah it could backfire but f it, most winners are the ones who go for the jugular and assume the risk in order to achieve that big moment.

And to be honest, how often does a qb sneak not gain an inch? I maintain with a strong degree of likelihood that had we sneaked the ball there, we would’ve won the game. And not lost it like we did.

I mean it obviously could have worked but the risk huge.

We had a chance to win the game either way, so it didn’t “cost us the game”, but it was huge obviously.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew. Watch the NFL backpedal and say "Whoops we should not have respotted  the ball".

And the league wonders why fans think the game is fixed. Total incompetence at every level. I am so angry at the lack of respect for common sense

http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/09/clevelands-rage-against-the-replay-machine-is-justified/

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It would have been extremely risky. If you get stuffed, putting the opposing team that close is a recipe for disaster. 

This. I say trust your defense in that scenario.

Obviously if Hue would have went for it and we made it, then everyone would have obviously been cool with it. Had we not, people would have been calling for his head (more so than they already are).

5 minutes ago, DawgX said:

This. I say trust your defense in that scenario.

Obviously if Hue would have went for it and we made it, then everyone would have obviously been cool with it. Had we not, people would have been calling for his head (more so than they already are).

And this would be a bad thing?

Archived