The Measurement

NudeTayne

The Measurement  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hue have had us go for it on 4th down?

40 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Not me.

Me either. You punt most of the time. Every game is different though and if you coach every situation of every game the same you probably aren't a very good coach. You may make the high percentage call every time but the high percentage call isn't always the right call.

As far as it being an 8 point lead instead of 7 that doesn't factor in at all. It would have been an 8 point lead if we gave them the ball at our 20. If the 2 point conversion aided it being called in either favor it was in favor of going for the first because that gave you a second chance after failing on defense.

We would have been better off (this is hindsight) just throwing the football into our own endzone on 4th down and letting the Raiders recover and score immediately and if we stop the 2 point conversion then we recover the onside kick and kneel and if they do convert we have more time to be less aggressive at the end. It just felt like they were going to score if we punted and they did. I would have 100% punted against the Jets. The Raiders had receivers open everywhere in the 2nd half, it didn't seem likely we would stop them with a 50 yard field or a 20 yard field.

3 hours ago, bruceb said:

Not me.

This city would have burned to the ground if Hue went for it and failed. Everyone in this forum, including all you hindsighters, would all be calling for Hue’s head on a stick for not punting. I GUARANTEE no one would be saying “well, Hue has some huge balls to go for it and although I’m fine giving the Raiders the ball on the freakin 19 YARD LINE, I’m glad he showed guts”

Give me a freakin break. 

34 minutes ago, CleBrowns07 said:

This city would have burned to the ground if Hue went for it and failed. Everyone in this forum, including all you hindsighters, would all be calling for Hue’s head on a stick for not punting. I GUARANTEE no one would be saying “well, Hue has some huge balls to go for it and although I’m fine giving the Raiders the ball on the freakin 19 YARD LINE, I’m glad he showed guts”

Give me a freakin break. 

Sneak it

Sneak it

What would the 85% of the people who think Hue isn't a good coach think? Yeah it may upset the other 15% that still support him if they fail to pick up the 1st but he already lost the majority of the fan base and it wouldn't have changed the feelings about him either way.

5 hours ago, CleBrowns07 said:

Give me a freakin break. 

Yeah, most (not all) would have been going on for days/weeks/month had we not got the first.

Preferring they go for it and saying it was a poor coaching decision are two different things.  If you think they should have gone for it, that’s cool, I get it, but punting from your own 20 up 8 with less than 2 minutes to go isn’t a bad decision.  

this is a complicated scenario that involves a lot more than just this game in my opinion.

the browns obviously have been down for a long time, and the players on the team know that. Whether they've been here thru the losing or recently were drafted, there's a huge weight on the players, coaches, and organization as a whole to turn this around. 

I don't think Hue should have went for it.

At this point in the game, we all know what happened right before this fourth down. It was as bad a call as it gets, and NFL fans, former players, analysts, etc all know it. We should have won but it was taken from us. No matter what happens after that. The narrative is the browns really won the game and are an up and coming team. It was a terrible call and the media and fans will be talking all week about how the Browns soups have won and how good they are and how they've turned the corner.

If the browns go for it on 4th down and fail? No one talks about the terrible call by the refs and instead talk about how awful the Browns are and how they found a way to lose again.

:drops Mike:

:apologizes to Mike:

Archived