Increase Franchise Tag Amount to trade Bell

Money

You're nearing unchartered waters of getting d***ed in this entire situation. You need to cut bait and reevaluate. And I'm afraid you're nearly out of time. Yanno this would've been nice back in July when you had leverage. But the team thought they held all the cards. The only way you'll be able to trade Bell is if you increase the value of the tag to make it enticing enough for him to want to play. The franchise tag is guaranteed for injury. So if you can give him more money than he would've earned on the 14.5m tag by playing 16 games and can condense that into 10 games that might be enough to get a deal. You'll need to pick a team that has enough money to accommodate his salary for this year and you need someone with boatloads of cap space in 2019. There is only one team - the New York Jets. Now, the Jets will want to play hard ball and say well we'll just overpay and outbid whoever wants his services. I do have one final card. Now, that Le'Veon Bell has gone this route of passing up games and paychecks I have picked up cap space to rollover. No blood - if you will. You say New York Jets - I'm sorry but Le'Veon Bell won't be available as a 2019 UFA because I will franchise tag him again. By not playing in 2018 his increased franchise tag by being tagged three times isn't a problem for me because we've been saving up. Now, he can choose to not play again. If he plays, he plays. If he doesn't - I don't give a d***. 

The New York Jets are a trade partner with $16.7m in cap space in 2018. They have a young QB, so this is a long-term investment in both Bell and Darnold. By increasing his game check to say $1.6M per game. That would be enough for Bell to sign the tag. Once he signs the tag his salary is guaranteed for this year. You come to a gentleman's agreement that you'll make him the highest paid running back once the year is over. 

LE'VEON BELL CONTRACT

He receives a $25m signing bonus. With $62.75m guaranteed. The deal is for 6 years and a maximum value of $96m. The player receives a $10m roster bonus in March 2020 and there is a $5m roster bonus in 2021. The first three years are guaranteed for injury only. Four million can be earned through incentives.

2019 - 1,750,000

2020 - 10,500,000

2021 - 10,500,000

2022 - 10,500,000

2023 - 10,500,000

2024 - 9,000,000

2019 cap number - $6,750,000

That should be enough for Le'Veon Bell to think he won the deal. Loosely built using the Todd Gurley contract as the framework. Added a few extra years so it looks like he's getting $100m. I'm thinking the Jets will win this next week and at 2-3 they'll be sitting there in a division race and this is the time to s*** or get off the pot. But it's also a long-term move that greatly impacts Darnold's ability to be a competent QB in this league so they should be okay with the trade compensation required to get Le'Veon Bell.

TRADE COMPENSATION

New York Jets trade their 2019 1st rd pick and 2019 5th rd pick to the Steelers for Le'Veon Bell and a 2019 4th rd pick

The 1st rd pick should help the Steelers rebuild. I'd also like to move Ben. For his sake and for our sake. Plenty of miles left in the tank but that's another contract I don't want to touch. To Jacksonville so he can beat New England and get another shot at a ring. And then I move AB in the offseason. The team lacks synergy. The team lacks leadership. Some awful coaching. This team's not going anywhere. It's time to acknowledge this fact. Just let this season be a bad season when it's going to be whether you like it or not and complete the rebuild by drafting good players and competing for the division next year. The days of 3-5 year rebuilds are over. You can do it now in one offseason. Get your ducks in a row and just win baby.

Archived