Week 5: VIKINGS (1-2-1) at Eagles (2-2)

swede700

How many passing yards will the Vikings give up this game?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many passing yards will the Vikings give up this game?

• 0-150: The Vikings will be angry and come out ablazing vs. the Eagles
    • 150-200: The Vikings will put up a very good performance
    • 200-300: The Vikings put up an okay performance
    • 300-400: The Vikings put up another mediocre performance
    • 400+: The Vikings have another horrible performance

Stealing this from someone else, but the prevent defense isn't meant to prevent completions. It's meant to prevent the clock from stopping.

When you get the ball with 2:47 and no timeouts, you need to strike fast. Taking up 59% of the remaining time to score the TD is a win for the defense.

I didn't have a huge problem with that version of the prevent defense...I had a problem with allowing huge chunks of yards, which is what usually happens...in that they get 70 yards in about 40 seconds.  It took them over a minute and a half to get down the field.  That's clearly a win.  

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

I didn't have a huge problem with that version of the prevent defense...I had a problem with allowing huge chunks of yards, which is what usually happens...in that they get 70 yards in about 40 seconds.  It took them over a minute and a half to get down the field.  That's clearly a win.  

I'm fine with the prevent defense as long as I can trust the defense to stop them from scoring when inside the redzone. I don't trust this year's defense and their ability to stop anybody when needed. Therefore, I'd have been more inclined to play my regular defense and hope that bringing pressure would disrupt things enough to force some bad throws. 

Almost cost us the game if Thielen doesn't jump on the onside kick.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, Klomp said:

Stealing this from someone else, but the prevent defense isn't meant to prevent completions. It's meant to prevent the clock from stopping.

When you get the ball with 2:47 and no timeouts, you need to strike fast. Taking up 59% of the remaining time to score the TD is a win for the defense.

It's still frustrating to watch.

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Not as frustrating as watching the last 2 minutes of any basketball game.  

You mean the last two minutes that usually becomes twenty minutes?  Yeah...I'm with you there!  I don't watch basketball for that very reason.  I pretty much limit my sports viewing to football and baseball.  I kind of liked Buddy Ryans' take on the prevent defense.  He used something along the lines of "If I have been stopping them from gaining yardage and scoring all game long by being aggressive, why would I change at the end of the game?"

Archived