Week 5: VIKINGS (1-2-1) at Eagles (2-2)

swede700

How many passing yards will the Vikings give up this game?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many passing yards will the Vikings give up this game?

• 0-150: The Vikings will be angry and come out ablazing vs. the Eagles
    • 150-200: The Vikings will put up a very good performance
    • 200-300: The Vikings put up an okay performance
    • 300-400: The Vikings put up another mediocre performance
    • 400+: The Vikings have another horrible performance

Nice to get a win on the road today!  NFC opponent, so this could have playoff seeding ramifications when all is said and done.  They will probably win their division, so we could end up seeing them again in the post season. 

On another note, I made a sig bet with one of the Eagle fans over in their forum.  One guy took me up on the bet.  Here's what he will be wearing for the next two weeks.  :D

21bt087.png

31 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This is another just ridiculous throw from Cousins. The ball placement is outstanding, no matter what the circumstances were, but the fact that he put the ball in that spot while throwing off of his back foot is eye popping. 

We definitely made the right choice in moving on from Case/Teddy/Sam to Cousins.

Weatherly gets some props from Peter King...that's pretty big.

h. Stephen Weatherly, the Minnesota defensive end getting some playing time with Everson Griffen out, will be a footnote to the Vikings’ 23-21 win in Philadelphia. He shouldn’t be. He strip-sacked Carson Wentz and allowed Linval Joseph to capitalize and run 64 yards for the touchdown.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/08/nfl-week-5-cleveland-browns-fmia-peter-king/?cid=pfttease/

I think one of the biggest piece that’s missing this year, and it’s affecting the defense in a big way, is the retirement of Terence Newman. 

Most of the communication issues, from my viewings of the games, seems to be at the second level between the linebackers and nickel back. Not super surprising considering Hughes is a rookie and Alexander has been struggling with the mental aspect of the game since he was drafted. But I can’t help but believe that we wouldn’t be having some of these issues if Newman was on the field. 

44 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think one of the biggest piece that’s missing this year, and it’s affecting the defense in a big way, is the retirement of Terence Newman. 

Most of the communication issues, from my viewings of the games, seems to be at the second level between the linebackers and nickel back. Not super surprising considering Hughes is a rookie and Alexander has been struggling with the mental aspect of the game since he was drafted. But I can’t help but believe that we wouldn’t be having some of these issues if Newman was on the field. 

I thought it was interesting that Aikman and Buck brought up Newman during the game. Maybe I misheard, but it sounded like Zimmer said during the week that he regretted pushing Newman to retire.

9 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Very encouraged by Weatherly’s performance today. Especially against Lane Johnson.

Weatherly is one guy on this roster I've definitely been wrong about. Didn't see him playing this well.

10 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I thought it was interesting that Aikman and Buck brought up Newman during the game. Maybe I misheard, but it sounded like Zimmer said during the week that he regretted pushing Newman to retire.

He may regret it somewhat now, but I think it'll pay off in the end.  It was the right move to make, for the long-term.  There will certainly be some issues in the short term though.  

Great win!!!! A little redemption from last year.

A few observations/comments:

This game was a lot closer then it needed to be. 2 missed FGs and a prevent defense that allowed a score made this closer than it was really was IMO.

Pros:

We beat the defending champs on the road.

Cousins/Thielen/Diggs connection(s).

Weatherly.

Defense played much better.

Barr looked like he cared.

Cons:

Red-zone offense , we can't settle for 3, this game could've been a blowout. We were 1/4 yesterday.

Defensive play-calling on Eagles last drive.

Running game had a few nice runs but not enough.

Wile, I have not been impressed with him

Bailey, I know he made the big kick but we can't have him missing from 28 yards.

7 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I'm an idiot, what am I missing on this play? 

Both Reiff and Compton completely whiff on their blocks. If they execute their blocks, it’s likely a touchdown. If just one of them executes their block, it’s likelt a first down. 

Vikings defensive tackle Linval Joseph made one of the biggest plays of Sunday’s 23-21 win over the Eagles when he grabbed a ball knocked out of Carson Wentz‘s hand and returned it 64 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter of the game. At 6’4″ and 329 pounds, Joseph doesn’t fit the usual profile of players who score touchdowns of that length. Judy Battista of NFL Media passes along that he’s the biggest player to score a touchdown of at least 60 yards since Shaun Rogers did it with the Lions in 2007.

Joseph: “I mean, I consider myself an athlete but I feel like everyone got a chance to see that I am faster than what I look.”

Joseph also got a chance to show off a pretty sharp sideline look when he matched an oxygen mask with sunglasses while on the bench after his score, so it was a winning day across the board for the veteran tackle.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/08/linval-joseph-i-got-to-show-im-faster-than-i-look/

Archived