Week 5: VIKINGS (1-2-1) at Eagles (2-2)

swede700

How many passing yards will the Vikings give up this game?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many passing yards will the Vikings give up this game?

• 0-150: The Vikings will be angry and come out ablazing vs. the Eagles
    • 150-200: The Vikings will put up a very good performance
    • 200-300: The Vikings put up an okay performance
    • 300-400: The Vikings put up another mediocre performance
    • 400+: The Vikings have another horrible performance

38 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Both Reiff and Compton completely whiff on their blocks. If they execute their blocks, it’s likely a touchdown. If just one of them executes their block, it’s likelt a first down. 

They need to get Treadwell to give them lessons.  For all his struggles with catching, he is another Stephen Burton when it comes to blocking.

Via Peter King of NBC’s Football Morning in America, Thielen was most fired up about recovering the late onside kick, which allowed the Vikings to hang onto a 23-21 win over the Eagles.

Thielen: “We knew that was going to be the biggest play of the game. He kicked a phenomenal kick and it was by far the hardest onside kick of all the onside kicks I’ve practiced against in college of the pros. It was the nastiest thing I’ve seen. It was low, with a side spin. It wasn’t a normal end over end onside kick. It had a nasty spin on it and when I saw it coming at me I just wanted to make sure I could just knock it down then jump on it. Just wanted to get on it and secure it because when it’s a bang bang play like that there’s a lot of guys on you—a lot of pinching and hair-pulling. They were trying to pull my hair. Good thing I got my hair cut. It was not fun under there.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/08/adam-thielen-glad-he-got-haircut-before-onside-kick/

Eagles defense at home is excellent..especially their red zone defense is brilliant at home....I think we probably could have been better in red zone offense but considering how good Eagles's red zone defense is at home, I think it was ok...having a running game helps big time in red zone offense, something we have been lacking

I only watched the 2nd half.  Cousins is playing very well.  Diggs and Thielen are the best duo in the game.  Offensive line was not great.  Running game...pretty non existent.  The defense was playing not to lose in the 4th quarter...and I HATE the prevent defense strategy. This is a game to build on though.  Glad for the win.

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I only watched the 2nd half.  Cousins is playing very well.  Diggs and Thielen are the best duo in the game.  Offensive line was not great.  Running game...pretty non existent.  The defense was playing not to lose in the 4th quarter...and I HATE the prevent defense strategy. This is a game to build on though.  Glad for the win.

Too bad you missed the first half. We completely dominated the Eagles, much more than the score indicated. 

I hated the ‘prevent’ defense effort as well. It was obviously intended to burn the clock, but feels so ‘wrong’. Oh well, nice, solid win on the road. 

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

If I remember correctly, we’ve now beaten Atlanta, New Orleans and now Philly the “year after”. It’s nice to have some revenge but it’s a little hollow knowing it’s so much less important.

Lost to the Saints, but did beat the Giants the year after 41-0.

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think one of the biggest piece that’s missing this year, and it’s affecting the defense in a big way, is the retirement of Terence Newman. 

Most of the communication issues, from my viewings of the games, seems to be at the second level between the linebackers and nickel back. Not super surprising considering Hughes is a rookie and Alexander has been struggling with the mental aspect of the game since he was drafted. But I can’t help but believe that we wouldn’t be having some of these issues if Newman was on the field. 

Agree but I did notice Alexander was talking a lot more when WR's were going in motion. Also, the defense started regressing back to passing off WR's  too early in the 2nd half. Iloka may need to start over Sendejo. Sendejo cover is getting worse and seem a step late filling in run gaps.  

52 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

If I remember correctly, we’ve now beaten Atlanta, New Orleans and now Philly the “year after”. It’s nice to have some revenge but it’s a little hollow knowing it’s so much less important.

It means nothing if it's not a playoff game.

Weatherly said “not at all” when asked if Joseph surprised him.

Weatherly:  “That man is fast. He is a Mack truck with no brakes when he gets going. I knew I had to pick up one block and he was going to take it to the house.”

Joseph’s fumble return for a score was the third-longest in Vikings history by a defensive lineman; Kevin Williams had a 77-yard return in 2004, and Hall of Famer Alan Page notched a 65-yarder in 1970.

https://www.vikings.com/news/linval-joseph-leaves-large-mark-on-vikings-win-over-eagles?sf199573405=1

15 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

The defense was playing not to lose in the 4th quarter...and I HATE the prevent defense strategy

Agree completely. Giving up an easy TD that leaves them a minute to get a FG if they recover an onside kick is not a win. If you play real defense and they score a quicker TD because of it things are still is going to come down to whether they can recover on onside kick. The difference is you also have a chance to stop them from scoring the first TD. Sure they might have more time to get in FG range but a minute is a great plenty time for them anyway. 

Archived