Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

16 minutes ago, haveyoumetdustin said:

What if we poached a young and upcoming coach from a rival team? The Atlanta Falcons have a great core of WR and I think we should look at their WR coach/assistant coach, Raheem Morris. He even has experience on the defensive side of the ball as he was previously the Falcons and Redskins DB coach before he switched over to the WRs. 

I’ve never heard of this guy.

How youngry would he be? Could he win a race to 10? Would it be mentality before reality?

You also have to think if any of these young up and coming coaches even want to come to Tampa. The owners continue to make bad decisions and Jason Licht may just as well be on the hot seat as well which I don’t think should be safe regardless. 

What would attract a young up and coming coach to come here? You saw with mcdaniels and other coaches that they’re not willing to just jump at any opening the way owners have them on short leash. Not everyone will get Gruden 10 year security lol ? 

http://www.joebucsfan.com/2018/10/dirk-koetter-says-wont-fire-mike-smith/#more-206165

Looks like it’s a house cleaning at the end of the season. 

Our defence is unsustainably terrible, yet we refuse to move on from someone who has made it worse, despite a huge investment in the unit.

Like his decision to keep going with Martin, his stubbornness will be his end as a HC.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

He got a big raise and (probably) the promise to take over when BB retires. Remember, he accepted the job before something happened to make him change his mind.

I also think there was uncertainty with Andrew luck. 

But seriously why do you think the browns could only hire guys like mike Petine and Hugh Jackson ? No one with a credible future wanted to jump at the first opportunity. 

If the glAzers and /or licht put the stipulation that Winston is the guy, then you’re forcing him on a coach that may not like that decision or feel they can’t win with the qb and roster in place. 

Like I said there seems to be a lot of stupid plays on the field as a whole. I question the football iq of this team. Well most of it. 

Im looking at the Bucs as an outsider would and I don’t see the attraction. 

34 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I also think there was uncertainty with Andrew luck. 

But seriously why do you think the browns could only hire guys like mike Petine and Hugh Jackson ? No one with a credible future wanted to jump at the first opportunity. 

If the glAzers and /or licht put the stipulation that Winston is the guy, then you’re forcing him on a coach that may not like that decision or feel they can’t win with the qb and roster in place. 

Like I said there seems to be a lot of stupid plays on the field as a whole. I question the football iq of this team. Well most of it. 

Im looking at the Bucs as an outsider would and I don’t see the attraction. 

We've been a dumpster fire more often than not since the Super Bowl 16 years ago. That's a long time of (mostly) awful play. There's no consistency in how long we give coaches to turn things around. We have a pretty high roster turnover year after year.

I get that we're probably not the most desirable destination for potential head coaches. We've been turned down by more than one notable coach since 76. 

If we suck again and we're picking high enough to fire Koetter, we better be drafting a QB. And we better do what everyone else is doing lately and sell the farm to do so. And we better find a coach that can build around our new QB, or at least bring in the people that can.

I see it playing out this way... Our offense IS good enough to win us games and we’ll win 7 or 8 games and miss the playoffs. We’ll showcase our worst in NFL history defense and knowing that if we were just 15th-20th best in the NFL it would have accounted for 3-4 more wins and playoffs. The Glazers will fire Koetter and dismiss all the coaches except Buckner. Knowing we have 1 more year of Jameis on that 5th year option, and considering where we’ll be picking, a new HC will come in and roll with Jameis for a year to see if he can be the guy considering the promise he will show the rest of this year. If Licht stays around then I could see a quick turnaround since personnel will not get overhauled. If Licht is gone, we could still have a quick turnaround if we can get the defense to be decent.

I hope we find an innovative and adaptive offensive mind that has connections to a decent DC he can give the reigns to. Offense is where the NFL is and has been going. Give me a top 5 offense, which we can be, and a 15th ranked D and we’ll be a tough team year in and year out.

55 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We've been a dumpster fire more often than not since the Super Bowl 16 years ago. That's a long time of (mostly) awful play. There's no consistency in how long we give coaches to turn things around. We have a pretty high roster turnover year after year.

I get that we're probably not the most desirable destination for potential head coaches. We've been turned down by more than one notable coach since 76. 

If we suck again and we're picking high enough to fire Koetter, we better be drafting a QB. And we better do what everyone else is doing lately and sell the farm to do so. And we better find a coach that can build around our new QB, or at least bring in the people that can.

i hate to say it but i dont think we have many good options at this point, out coaches arent getting the job done and are too loyal to one another, it took literal Fitzmagic to make this team look good , but that was lightning in a bottle, and now we have to play Jameis to see if he has anything worth us needing to pay him 20 mil to keep him for another year YES 20 MILLION 

i just cant see how thats plausible , jameis ... 20 million.... i seriously hope im wrong and he turns out to be fantastic, but i just cant see it happening man, when we go 4-12 and our defense lets everyone and their mothers put up 30 points a game, and jameis throws 20 picks , i think we have to move on, drafting a QB and paying the new guy 5 mil to do make just as many bone headed throws as jameis is a value if you ask me

20 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i hate to say it but i dont think we have many good options at this point, out coaches arent getting the job done and are too loyal to one another, it took literal Fitzmagic to make this team look good , but that was lightning in a bottle, and now we have to play Jameis to see if he has anything worth us needing to pay him 20 mil to keep him for another year YES 20 MILLION 

i just cant see how thats plausible , jameis ... 20 million.... i seriously hope im wrong and he turns out to be fantastic, but i just cant see it happening man, when we go 4-12 and our defense lets everyone and their mothers put up 30 points a game, and jameis throws 20 picks , i think we have to move on, drafting a QB and paying the new guy 5 mil to do make just as many bone headed throws as jameis is a value if you ask me

If we do fire the coaching staff, then we’ll probably have a high draft pick and drafting a QB should be under consideration.

You limit the number of coaches available if you start dictating who the QB should be, but if Winston has a good season and it’s the defence that consistently lets us down, then enough potential coaches will probably believe that we have a franchise QB on the roster.

If Winston still hasn’t developed this season, then we could be looking at a new coaching staff and a new QB going into 2019.

34.8 ppg allowed though. The main problem is clear to see. 

22 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

What s ironic is how the Rams are viewed now.  After Martz, the bottom really fell out.  The RGIII trade netted them one good starter in Brockers, IIRC.  Snead gives up a ton for Goff and his first year isnt great.  There was certainly a question on how good a candidate the Rams could get with a holdover GM, a second year QB and missing draft picks.  Of course, the rest is history.  

If the defense doesnt turn around and can't stop giving up 30 points, they will, be picking in the top 10.  I do know another former 1 overall QB who has zero playoff wins with some really good fantasy value season after season is on his third head coach.  If there is a head coaching  change, I m not sure getting a defensive minded head coach is the answer.  I know Schwartz is the easy answer, but I m not sure.  

I just cant bring myself to,passive zone defense with a 4 man rush for another 12 games.  

On 10/1/2018 at 11:10 AM, haveyoumetdustin said:

What if we poached a young and upcoming coach from a rival team? The Atlanta Falcons have a great core of WR and I think we should look at their WR coach/assistant coach, Raheem Morris. He even has experience on the defensive side of the ball as he was previously the Falcons and Redskins DB coach before he switched over to the WRs. 

I know this is a joke but I think Raheem wouldn't be too bad the next time around.   I think he learned a lot from Tampa and has learned a lot from the other organizations he has been to.  Obviously he won't get hired here but I think he gets another chance somewhere else.  Also seriously he had one of the most untalented rosters I have seen when he was here.. 

Archived