Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

The more I think about the Mike Smith, I m pretty convinced it is going to take at least 8 wins for the rest of the coaching staff and GM to survive.  Again, I really feel there will be a bunch of candidates available even with a prerequisite the starting QB is already here.  Remember the amount of potential head coaches that were interviewed before hiring Schiano.

You get hired by the Glazers as GM, you get 5 years and 2 HCs.  I think this time the Glazers hire the GM first, then the coach.  No secret my number 1 GM is Joe Douglas. I like his background, which has shown an ability to properly evaluate both lines.  I know the defense is the problem, but I still want an offensive minded coach.  If the Glazers can nail the GM, the head coach I m not worried about.  

Here s hoping Koetter can figure it out because he is most definitely the next one to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Lil' Shorty said:

It all depends on who the GM is. Should probably start the discussion there. Eagles blocked Douglas interviewing last year. Who else is out there?

I m pretty sure you can't block a guy from interviewing for a GM job.  I thought DeFilipo was blocked 2 years ago for OC because that is allowed when it isn't for a HC.  I m pretty sure, not 100 %

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

I m pretty sure you can't block a guy from interviewing for a GM job.  I thought DeFilipo was blocked 2 years ago for OC because that is allowed when it isn't for a HC.  I m pretty sure, not 100 %

Idk maybe. My pops is an Eagles fan and I text him about Douglas in the beginning of the year and he felt as tho he was more of a personnel guy, not all encompassing GM. One mans opinion.

1 minute ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Idk maybe. My pops is an Eagles fan and I text him about Douglas in the beginning of the year and he felt as tho he was more of a personnel guy, not all encompassing GM. One mans opinion.

A valid concern, but I like the idea of a GM being known as a guy who can evaluate talent.  Also, Douglas comes from teams that have done a good job of evaluating   both lines, which at this time this team needs.

6 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

A valid concern, but I like the idea of a GM being known as a guy who can evaluate talent.  Also, Douglas comes from teams that have done a good job of evaluating   both lines, which at this time this team needs.

I wouldn’t be mad if we got Douglas. We’ll see. I know we fired (if we do) 3 coaches after 2 or 3 seasons with the team, but this team has talent and will most likely be told you can roll with Jameis or find your own QB. Other teams openings could honestly be a lot worse.

1 minute ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I wouldn’t be mad if we got Douglas. We’ll see. I know we fired (if we do) 3 coaches after 2 or 3 seasons with the team, but this team has talent and will most likely be told you can roll with Jameis or find your own QB. Other teams openings could honestly be a lot worse.

2 GMs in 10 years who each got 2 be tied with 2 HCs.  Not bad job security in this business.

40 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

2 GMs in 10 years who each got 2 be tied with 2 HCs.  Not bad job security in this business.

Job security is a plus, as is the talent on the roster and ownership’s willingness to spend. 

Here we are again though, trying to decide on a HC. Koetter’s tenure has been littered with examples of sticking with players for too long and therefore not holding them accountable.

We need a culture change as it simply appears that players aren't held accountable for their actions. Players like Kwon wouldn’t freelance as much if there were consequences to their nonsense.

1 minute ago, Buc Ball said:

Here we are again though, trying to decide on a HC. Koetter’s tenure has been littered with examples of sticking with players for too long and therefore not holding them accountable.

To be fair, we knew that when he was given the position.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

To be fair, we knew that when he was given the position.

Well there were the stories from when he was a HC in college. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt since that was over a decade ago and you’d think it would be a bit different dealing with adults.

Evidently not.

3 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Job security is a plus, as is the talent on the roster and ownership’s willingness to spend. 

We need a culture change as it simply appears that players aren't held accountable for their actions. Players like Kwon wouldn’t freelance as much if there were consequences to their nonsense.

I 'll admit I was wrong on the quality of this defensive coaching staff.  Since Gruden, the coaching staffs as whole need to be better.  QB is the most important position on the field, but there is so much more to winning consistently which this organization can't figure out.  At least, they didn't take the Gruden plunge, baby steps.

Idk who the GM would be but a coaching name I brought up before that I’ll bring up again is the assistant HC / TE coach in New Orleans, Dan Campbell. I’d give him a shot. Came up playing for Parcells and learned from coaching alongside Sean Payton.

6 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I 'll admit I was wrong on the quality of this defensive coaching staff.  Since Gruden, the coaching staffs as whole need to be better.  QB is the most important position on the field, but there is so much more to winning consistently which this organization can't figure out.  At least, they didn't take the Gruden plunge, baby steps.

I don’t think we’ve had a single assistant coach move on to a promotion at another team since the Gruden days.

Thats an awful lot of sub par coaching talent.

Archived