Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

As far as how attractive this job could be, keep in mind there is a lot of cap flexibility.  The following players have little or no guaranteed money next season.  They all won't be cut, but why devote all this cap to historically bad defense   Some big names will go.

Humphries

DJax

JPP

GMC

Curry

Gholston

Conte

Grimes

They 'll get enough candidates, will they finally choose the right one if Koetter can't right the ship.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

As far as how attractive this job could be, keep in mind there is a lot of cap flexibility.  The following players have little or no guaranteed money next season.  They all won't be cut, but why devote all this cap to historically bad defense   Some big names will go.

Humphries

DJax

JPP

GMC

Curry

Gholston

Conte

Grimes

They 'll get enough candidates, will they finally choose the right one if Koetter can't right the ship.

Humphries will most likely go along with DJax with how Godwin is. Gholston and Conte should have been cut 2 season ago...… Grimes will probably retire after this year. 

10 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Incredible.

This is why if there is a regime change,  all applicants are going to have to show the Glazers the plan with Winston the starter.  Some people might not agree with this, but the Glazers through their actions have stood behind Winston.  He s going to be here on the 5th year option.  Barring a Christmas miracle, Mike Smith won't be here.  Just a matter of who follows Smith out the door.  

It s okay if you think Winston sucks, the problem is you 're going to have to endure at least another 27 games where the owners view him as the best option at QB.

12 minutes ago, xlfrosti said:

Humphries will most likely go along with DJax with how Godwin is. Gholston and Conte should have been cut 2 season ago...… Grimes will probably retire after this year. 

Agree with you on the WRs.  Watson is waiting in the wings along with Wilson.  The only guy who I think will be added to the list is GMC.  This hurts to write.  I love him as a player and a person.  Much like RBs, DTs over 30 tend not to be productive.  13 million is a big number.  It hurts because GMC s career will resemble Paul Gruber s.  An excellent player for a long time, but his career was done before the team turned the corner.  Vea wasn't drafted to play a lot of NT.  With the defense being this bad, I m not sure an aging vet with a high cap should be taking away snaps from a 2nd year 1st round pick who shows a lot of potential from an athletic stand point. 

38 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Agree with you on the WRs.  Watson is waiting in the wings along with Wilson.  The only guy who I think will be added to the list is GMC.  This hurts to write.  I love him as a player and a person.  Much like RBs, DTs over 30 tend not to be productive.  13 million is a big number.  It hurts because GMC s career will resemble Paul Gruber s.  An excellent player for a long time, but his career was done before the team turned the corner.  Vea wasn't drafted to play a lot of NT.  With the defense being this bad, I m not sure an aging vet with a high cap should be taking away snaps from a 2nd year 1st round pick who shows a lot of potential from an athletic stand point. 

McCoy, Gholston, and Curry are both overpaid. We will be okay without. McCoy should net us a 2 and a 4. Grimes and Conte are both gone regardless. JPP has played up to his contract and so has D Jax. I’d keep them.

13 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

McCoy would probably net us a third. Like JPP, he's old and has a big contract.

This is can interesting topic.  I m not sure they could get a 3 rd for GMC.  Last year, the UFA DE class didn't have a lot to offer.  JPP, Quinn, and Bennett were so clearly better options then THE UFAs.  This year I m pretty sure Suh and Richardson will hit the market.  I  don't see a team sending a 3rd instead of spending cash to get a similar player.  If he gets traded, I only see a Day 3 pick coming.  And yes I would rather trade him for a day 3 then take snaps away from Vea next season.

Either way I’m not sure I want Jason Licht back. I understand gms have missed but he struck out entirely on the 2016 draft and mike Evans is his saving grace from 2014. 

There are players he passed on at positions of need that are doing well while he drafted flops. Charles Sims over Davonte Freeman at RB? Yes that matters. And is s prime example. 

Noah Spence over yannick ? Yes. 

Hargreaves over William Jackson ? 

With Mike Smith now fired I give Koetter a slightly better chance of sticking around. If a play caller helps the defense as much as Monken did the offense, we could go on a little winning streak here. IMO the 6th playoff spot in the NFC is wide open.

Looking forward to what Duffner will bring to the defense.

Archived