Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

I’m a tad early with this, but it’s the bye week and we are coming off a brutal loss that makes most all of us want a DC change and possibly a HC change.

Two main ideas for this thread:

1. Who do we promote to DC if Koetter fires Smith in season and if he does and the team responds, who is the DC in 2019 with Koetter still the HC?

2. If Koetter doesn’t make the necessary staff changes and this team underperforms or misses playoffs, who should be the HC of this team in 2019 and will Jason Licht be making that call?

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Man. I don't wanna have this conversation this year.

Yeah I didn’t think we would after the first two weeks either. Well maybe Koetter will just dump Smith and we’ll only have to retool one side of the ball. Honestly I think that’s best case scenario at this point.

I’d probably stay away from retreads, but a defensive guy like Schwartz is appealing after Sunday, but I just don’t have a good feeling about it.

LaFleur is probably who I’d go with over DeFilippo at the moment if we are talking HC.

For DC if we keep Koetter I’d say Del Rio. They have coached together and his defense in Oakland was formidable.

7 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Who do we promote to DC if Koetter fires Smith in season and if he does and the team responds, who is the DC in 2019 with Koetter still the HC?

Duffner or Buckner.

Duffy has experience as a DC from his Cinci days. But their defenses sucked too. It would be an easier transition.

Buck is still kinda new to coaching. It would be a big jump from 10 dline guys to all 25 defensive guys. Especially when he has to start scheming and evaluating everything.

I'd try Buckner though. The unknown is more exciting and he's gonna be a DC someday anyway. Might as well start him now. 

With how intense he is as a person, you know the defense would be more aggressive. He doesn't **** around with mental errors. You jump offsides, you're out. I'd imagine if you blow a coverage, you're out. Miss a tackle or two, you're out. He has no allegiance to anyone.

10 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I just can't write off Dirk yet.  If he gives Mike Smith the vote of confidence later today, then I believe it is over.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

He either bins Smith today, or we’re stuck with him the rest of the season.

I know what I’m hoping for...

10 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

He either bins Smith today, or we’re stuck with him the rest of the season.

I know what I’m hoping for...

I know, realistically the only way this happens if the Glazers push it.  I remember when Rah canned Bates and wouldn't give up play calling.  I thought at that time the organization needed to protect their head coach from himself.  Rah was around 35 at the time, first time head coach and defensive coordinator in the NFL, asinine to let him have all that responsibility.  Here s hoping the organization steps in and protects Koetter from himself.

Like others have said we either dump him now which would give us 2 weeks with him before a game or we ride it out for the year unless we get embarrassed again which is possible with the Falcons coming up soon, I would vote for the now. I think if it is during the year Buckner could be the option but if we are looking for someone to help retool the defense and want a fresh take, go check on Jack Del Rio.  If I wanted to go get someone that is offensively minded and will adapt to this new style of NFL offense, go knock on Kliff Kingsbury's door. 

What if we poached a young and upcoming coach from a rival team? The Atlanta Falcons have a great core of WR and I think we should look at their WR coach/assistant coach, Raheem Morris. He even has experience on the defensive side of the ball as he was previously the Falcons and Redskins DB coach before he switched over to the WRs. 

Archived