Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Not having the guys to switch from a 4/3 to a 3/4 hasn't stopped many people from trying. 😂

I'd rather stick with the 4/3. Vea and probably Gholston are really the only two in the front seven who could make the transition easily. But we'd sacrifice the abilities of David and McCoy and ruin a good thing with JPP and Nassib at DE.

The emergence of JPP and Nassib and now Vea coming along has made it seem like keeping the 4-3 is the smarter move at this point. I still think that aside from David our LBs need a serious upgrade. We could just get a rush guy to play SAM rather than a lumbering guy like Beckwith. Either players only come in for certain packages and this way we’d get even more rush.

8 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I do see the Steelers not making the playoffs, but I can t see Tomlin available.  He is the poster child of a Bucs assistant that got away.

I could definitely see the Glazers making a move if Tomlin is available. I just worry that this would be another Lovie scenario, although they are completely different people. Retreads get fired for a reason. Reid is the rare exception where it has worked and no HC who won a SB with one team won it with a second.

34 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I could definitely see the Glazers making a move if Tomlin is available. I just worry that this would be another Lovie scenario, although they are completely different people. Retreads get fired for a reason. Reid is the rare exception where it has worked and no HC who won a SB with one team won it with a second.

That s a good catch on the retread coach not winning a SB after winning one previously.  I do think we are entering a new era in the NFL. So many HCs especially offensive minded ones are the play callers on Sunday.  With so much emphasis on offense, OCs on game day are doing less then 10 yrs ago.  Defensive minded candidates have a double whammy.  First, wrong side of the ball making their OC hire pretty much as important as them.  Even if they hit with the OC, good chance the OC will be gone within 2 yrs anyway.  Jay Gruden is offensive minded, but the best thing he did was elevate Sean McVay to OC.  2 yrs and gone.   I think the offensive minded retread is definitely going to get a 2nd chance.  McCarthy will be a HC again next season, very confident in that prediction.

Not that a defensive minded coach can't get hired or succeed, I just think during the interview process they have to really kill the presentation.  I have no doubt Kris Richard will get a HC very soon.  He now has been successful as pretty much the DC with 2 organizations.  

58 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

An article I read pointed out that there aren't many GMs who get another shot. So the odds say that whoever we sign will be a first time guy.

There’s always an exception. McKenzie to me did a great job in Oakland. Just a poor move by ownership to give Gruden this much power 

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

We were this close to signing Gruden. 😂

Ben Albright suggested Davis was so frustrated with Mack s agent, he demanded him to be traded.  Cooper had the same agent.  Conspiracy theory?  Sure, who knows how true.

I wanted Gruden back in the league, luckily Davis made the offer he couldn t refuse.  It works both ways.  Rich McKay was all set to hire Marvin Lewis after Parcells left them at the alter.  Malcolm over ruled the decision and Gruden made it to Tampa

20 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Ben Albright suggested Davis was so frustrated with Mack s agent, he demanded him to be traded.  Cooper had the same agent.  Conspiracy theory?  Sure, who knows how true.

I wanted Gruden back in the league, luckily Davis made the offer he couldn t refuse.  It works both ways.  Rich McKay was all set to hire Marvin Lewis after Parcells left them at the alter.  Malcolm over ruled the decision and Gruden made it to Tampa

Losing McKay, in hindsight, is one of the major reasons this franchise is in the state it’s in.

I can understand why Gruden had all the leverage in the world post Superbowl, but we backed the wrong man and here we are, 15 years later and we’ve been circling the drain for nigh on a decade.

10 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Losing McKay, in hindsight, is one of the major reasons this franchise is in the state it’s in.

I can understand why Gruden had all the leverage in the world post Superbowl, but we backed the wrong man and here we are, 15 years later and we’ve been circling the drain for nigh on a decade.

It’s funny cuz Gruden is literally doing the same think in Oakland now. Raiders were good for a season and on the rise and now are about to be circling the drain for the next 15 years. History seems due to repeat itself.

1 minute ago, Lil' Shorty said:

It’s funny cuz Gruden is literally doing the same think in Oakland now. Raiders were good for a season and on the rise and now are about to be circling the drain for the next 15 years. History seems due to repeat itself.

I remember the folks who were all for Gruden coming back saying he’s “ learned from being in the booth” lol 

5 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

It looks that way, although most Raiders fans didn’t seem particularly enamoured with McKenzie anyway. 

You have to wonder whether Bruce Allen moves on from Washington and turns up in Oakland.

43 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Fun fact, Bruce Allen received the league wide GM of the Year award in Oakland for the 02 season.  

You re right McKay had no shot at winning that power struggle with Gruden after the Supet Bowl   McKay was okay in Atlanta, the Vick legal issues really scuttled the franchise.  McKay s lieutenents were okay.  Ruskell wasn t very good as a GM.  Angelo had success with Chicago, ironically with Lovie.

The Gruden era wasn t a failure, the immediate plan after the firing was the issue.  It s easy to say just tear it down and start over because the roster is trash.  Well, that s what happened, and they gave the reigns to a guy who was the director of scouting under Gruden.  Sooo, let s rebuild the franchise from the draft with a guy who led the scouting dept. with minimal success.  The plan and execution of the plan  after was the problem.

Fast forward to Licht.  I do think he is notbad at evaluating talent coming out of college.  Where he has lacked in draft pick results, his UDFAs pick ups have been very good.  His free agent acquisitions have been brutal and his ultimate failure.  Forget about the big name failures, it s the glue guys that every team needs throughout a year, he s missed.

My hope is the next regime doesn t take a wrecking ball to the roster like Lovie.  I think that would be a mistake and continue this cycle of ineptitude.

Archived