Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

2 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

I know this is a joke but I think Raheem wouldn't be too bad the next time around.   I think he learned a lot from Tampa and has learned a lot from the other organizations he has been to.  Obviously he won't get hired here but I think he gets another chance somewhere else.  Also seriously he had one of the most untalented rosters I have seen when he was here.. 

I'd rather have Schiano if we're gonna bring back a recently fired coach.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'd rather have Schiano if we're gonna bring back a recently fired coach.

Lol...  I mean he definitely had more success but he also had a lot more talent IIRC B|    I do however think Schiano would have this defense rolling a lot better than Mike Smith.

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Schiano is too tough of a coach for the nfl. NFL has become soft. Theyre able to be more aggressive in college. 

Players don’t like being coached hard today. 

He's lightened up quite a bit from what I've read. He's learned how to be more of a coach than a dictator.

53 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He's lightened up quite a bit from what I've read. He's learned how to be more of a coach than a dictator.

No comment. But I’ll say this. A lot of Tampa bay media knocked him for “Rutgers success” 

since he’s been gone they’ve been worse than garbage. 

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Ashame what happened to Schiano and the Tennessee job, complete garbage.  No problem questioning his coaching ability, but to assassinate his character was low class. 

7 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Ashame what happened to Schiano and the Tennessee job, complete garbage.  No problem questioning his coaching ability, but to assassinate his character was low class. 

Emotional based arguments > fact based arguments.

Thats the way of the world these days, sadly.

7 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Schiano is too tough of a coach for the nfl. NFL has become soft. Theyre able to be more aggressive in college. 

Players don’t like being coached hard today. 

Schiano had good defenses compared to the trash thats being fielded today. But his offensive philosophy was outdated. 

Run heavy and play good defense mirroring CAR sounds good in theory but its a passing league. Can’t move the ball in the air you not going anywhere far. Trusting him to develop a QB was just unrealistic. Bucs with Koetter at least have Winston that can develop into a franchise signal caller. Time will tell.

Interesting fact David Shaw is making 6 million at Stanford.  No wonder he isnt in a hurry to go to the NFL 

The hot candidate is probably going to be Todd Wash.  I used to kill him when he was on Rah s staff as dline coach.  I thought he was trash, shows how much I know.  

If there is a head coaching change, I think the Glazers will gravitate towards a candidate who can show them a vision physical play and dicispline.  I hope Koetter can figure this out because it sucks that my team makes headlines on Black Monday.

4 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Interesting fact David Shaw is making 6 million at Stanford.  No wonder he isnt in a hurry to go to the NFL 

The hot candidate is probably going to be Todd Wash.  I used to kill him when he was on Rah s staff as dline coach.  I thought he was trash, shows how much I know.  

If there is a head coaching change, I think the Glazers will gravitate towards a candidate who can show them a vision physical play and dicispline.  I hope Koetter can figure this out because it sucks that my team makes headlines on Black Monday.

Shaw’s got security at Stanford. He’d be crazy to leave for the nfl. 

• 2 weeks later...

New name to throw out there for future HC. Dan Campbell, TE coach for the Saints. Came up in the Parcells system and got some HC experience stepping in for Joe Philbin in Miami a few years back. Dude just seems like a HC, not a coordinator that could be a HC, but a HC. Keep Monken to run the offense and hire a DC to run that side of the ball. Kind of how Ron Rivera runs the Panthers (maybe a bad example but you get the idea.)

14 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

New name to throw out there for future HC. Dan Campbell, TE coach for the Saints. Came up in the Parcells system and got some HC experience stepping in for Joe Philbin in Miami a few years back. Dude just seems like a HC, not a coordinator that could be a HC, but a HC. Keep Monken to run the offense and hire a DC to run that side of the ball. Kind of how Ron Rivera runs the Panthers (maybe a bad example but you get the idea.)

The thing is if the Glazers think Monken is he back bone of the offense, then I don't know what they do.  You bring in a new head coach, they gain success Monken is probably gone in two years anyway.  It s really a tricky situation because the offense is more then good enough to win games.  

Granted small size, but an OC who can create 400 yds of offense and 28 pts/gm would suggest he know what he is doing.

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

The thing is if the Glazers think Monken is he back bone of the offense, then I don't know what they do.  You bring in a new head coach, they gain success Monken is probably gone in two years anyway.  It s really a tricky situation because the offense is more then good enough to win games.  

Granted small size, but an OC who can create 400 yds of offense and 28 pts/gm would suggest he know what he is doing.

Yeah like @bucsfan333 said, do we promote the OC again or is that just repeating the same mistakes again (or something like that was said.) At the end of the day I want a HC who is the HC and knows how to mold players. A coordinator who wants to play coordinator/HC might not be completely focused on that. 

Hiring Monken to be HC because we want the offense to still be good is stupid if you put Monken and say Dan Campbell side by side and Campbell’s football plan overall is better. If you trust the plan and approch, the HC will get coordinators that execute. And keeping Monken around as OC for another year or two with a guy who seems to be the better and more ready HC makes more sense to me.

Dan Campbell will be my vote for the time being. Played under and watched Parcells coach and coached alongside Sean Payton and knows the NFC South.

2 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Yeah like @bucsfan333 said, do we promote the OC again or is that just repeating the same mistakes again (or something like that was said.) At the end of the day I want a HC who is the HC and knows how to mold players. A coordinator who wants to play coordinator/HC might not be completely focused on that. 

Hiring Monken to be HC because we want the offense to still be good is stupid if you put Monken and say Dan Campbell side by side and Campbell’s football plan overall is better. If you trust the plan and approch, the HC will get coordinators that execute. And keeping Monken around as OC for another year or two with a guy who seems to be the better and more ready HC makes more sense to me.

Dan Campbell will be my vote for the time being. Played under and watched Parcells coach and coached alongside Sean Payton and knows the NFC South.

I agree with the premise.  What I can see in Monken s play calling is aggressive.  The team no longer runs the ball the most on first down.  Certainly this is the Koetter play book, but the play calling between Koetter and Monken is evident.  Would he envision his defense showing similar aggression, I don't know.  Ironically, the Mike Smith defense is designed to stop a staple of the Dirk Koetter offense, 4 verticals.  

This offense is dynamic, going to be tough to assume reducing the play caller and the production remains the same.  Is Monken the next Tomlin or Rah, that is thecquestion.

13 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I agree with the premise.  What I can see in Monken s play calling is aggressive.  The team no longer runs the ball the most on first down.  Certainly this is the Koetter play book, but the play calling between Koetter and Monken is evident.  Would he envision his defense showing similar aggression, I don't know.  Ironically, the Mike Smith defense is designed to stop a staple of the Dirk Koetter offense, 4 verticals.  

This offense is dynamic, going to be tough to assume reducing the play caller and the production remains the same.  Is Monken the next Tomlin or Rah, that is thecquestion.

Good points. You’d think that if Monken is more aggressive on offense with the same playbook he’d want to be more aggressive on defense. But is he ready to be a HC? And is Licht the one making that call? The GM will and should guide a coaching hire, but we can for sure even say who the GM will be.

While the offense would be different if Monken wasn’t around, I do believe we can get plenty of production out of this group with someone else. If a different coach makes the offensive production slightly decline (I can’t see how they go to crap with the talent we have) but the defense make a substancial improvement due to a better overall football vision and execution of that, I’ll go that direction every day.

Archived