Week 4 thoughts

deeluxx3

Yeaaaaah buddy!!!

• Marcus is our franchise QB. Ice in his freaking veins. He's going to take us all the way one day. The pick was moronic, and I am starting to think that he'll be prone to them, but he's our guy
  • Defense is MEAN. Casey is playing out of his mind
  • Malcolm Butler was awful yesterday. Jeffrey beat him like a drum. Comeback route after comeback route after comeback route
  • Losing Woodyard was evident in our run D. We're paper thin there and Ajayi exposed it. Hope he's back next week. Glad that Vaccaro will return within a month or so
  • Will Compton is not good
  • I get the beef with Henry, but I don't think our run blocking has been very good. We've played some great front 7s, but they really aren't dominating the LOS in the run game
  • Tajae made some nice plays yesterday. Great route on his TD and huge block on the Lewis 4th and 2
  • Corey freaking Davis became a man yesterday. What a MEAN dude. I wasn't sure if he was MEAN. But he's MEAN!!!!
  • Need more from Jonnu. Need a lot more from Jonnu
  • Harold Landry is going to be UNBELIEVABLE. His strip sack was something else, but the play he made to run down Wentz when he had nothing but green in front of him might have been the most impressive play of the game. Crazy athleticism
  • Props to the coaching staff all around!!! BALLSY AF
  • Love LeFleur, but there's 3-4 playcalls a game that make my head scratch. The toss to Henry that Jenkins blew up in OT...the screen to Davis on 3rd and 4 (I think) late in the 4th when we could've put the game on ice. Bad calls
  • Dion Lewis is an absolute joy to have on the team. Such a vital part of this offense
  • Taywan is coming into his own. Love seeing him get more and more reps and building chemistry with Marcus. Good route running more often than not
  • That Darius Jennings drop still hurts my heart....C'MONNNNN MAN!
  • Where's Daquan Jones been? Bennie Logan? Very disappointing start to the year

22 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Yeaaaaah buddy!!!

• Marcus is our franchise QB. Ice in his freaking veins. He's going to take us all the way one day. The pick was moronic, and I am starting to think that he'll be prone to them, but he's our guy
  • Defense is MEAN. Casey is playing out of his mind
  • Malcolm Butler was awful yesterday. Jeffrey beat him like a drum. Comeback route after comeback route after comeback route
  • Losing Woodyard was evident in our run D. We're paper thin there and Ajayi exposed it. Hope he's back next week. Glad that Vaccaro will return within a month or so
  • Will Compton is not good
  • I get the beef with Henry, but I don't think our run blocking has been very good. We've played some great front 7s, but they really aren't dominating the LOS in the run game
  • Tajae made some nice plays yesterday. Great route on his TD and huge block on the Lewis 4th and 2
  • Corey freaking Davis became a man yesterday. What a MEAN dude. I wasn't sure if he was MEAN. But he's MEAN!!!!
  • Need more from Jonnu. Need a lot more from Jonnu
  • Harold Landry is going to be UNBELIEVABLE. His strip sack was something else, but the play he made to run down Wentz when he had nothing but green in front of him might have been the most impressive play of the game. Crazy athleticism
  • Props to the coaching staff all around!!! BALLSY AF
  • Love LeFleur, but there's 3-4 playcalls a game that make my head scratch. The toss to Henry that Jenkins blew up in OT...the screen to Davis on 3rd and 4 (I think) late in the 4th when we could've put the game on ice. Bad calls
  • Dion Lewis is an absolute joy to have on the team. Such a vital part of this offense
  • Taywan is coming into his own. Love seeing him get more and more reps and building chemistry with Marcus. Good route running more often than not
  • That Darius Jennings drop still hurts my heart....C'MONNNNN MAN!
  • Where's Daquan Jones been? Bennie Logan? Very disappointing start to the year

Couple of takes:
I'm not down on Butler like a couple people.  If you look at the Matthews TD, he was playing outside and was expecting help inside. The safety jumped the TE leaving Butler the only one there to chase him down, looking like he got beat.
And we all knew Butler had limitations. He doesn't have deep speed and isn't very big.  He has good instincts and coverage skills but can be beat. Jefferies won some one on ones. WRs are going to win some too. Sims didn't have much more success in the endzone either.

Daquan and Logan have made some plays.  Logan has made some impactful plays in the run game, but not filling up the stat sheet. Same with Daquan or maybe it's my imagination. 
Will Compton had a key pass breakup in OT. He almost sealed it if he didn't drop it.

But our run defense hasn't been good. Our run game period hasn't taken off yet. 

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Couple of takes:
I'm not down on Butler like a couple people.  If you look at the Matthews TD, he was playing outside and was expecting help inside. The safety jumped the TE leaving Butler the only one there to chase him down, looking like he got beat.
And we all knew Butler had limitations. He doesn't have deep speed and isn't very big.  He has good instincts and coverage skills but can be beat. Jefferies won some one on ones. WRs are going to win some too. Sims didn't have much more success in the endzone either.

Daquan and Logan have made some plays.  Logan has made some impactful plays in the run game, but not filling up the stat sheet. Same with Daquan or maybe it's my imagination. 
Will Compton had a key pass breakup in OT. He almost sealed it if he didn't drop it.

But our run defense hasn't been good. Our run game period hasn't taken off yet. 

Butler just got beat like a drum. Understand what he does/doesn't bring to the table, but got wrecked on the same route over and over again

It's tough to rate guys like Jones and Logan because their role is to eat space, but I cannot help but assume our run D woes have something to do with them not doing their job. Never hear their names on splash plays, either.

Compton made that one play...but nothing else. Maybe I'm overreacting a little bit here, but we need Woodyard back ASAP and Evans to grow up fast. It's clear that he missed out by missing training camp.

Looking at the schedule, I thought if we could get to 2-2 after the first four we’d be in a decent place to make a playoff run. 3-1 is huge. I would’ve thought 3-1 after losing to Miami would be impossible.

6-3 is my next goal, schedule gets a whole lot easier for the final seven. 6-3 could position us for a real shot at the AFC South.

Gotta beat Buffalo.

Landry is a absolute steal. On the strip sack they had Morgan inside and him rushing outside.Pees is calling a pretty good game plan so far each week. LaFluer is coming into his own. I think after Miami he got his feet wet and will only get better. The QB carries on the RPO is going to give defenses fits. Henry is going to be okay, but he has to be a good teammate because Lewis is special in space and is a matchup nightmare. Several times yesterday I said to myself her reminded me of a young Darren Sproles with those spin moves. I agree Jayon Brown is playing lights out this year. Conkiln held up well yesterday against Chris Long primarily by himself. Good to see him back to old form. Lewan got beat bad on that Barnett sack. It looked like he had bad hand placement. Cmon Lewan!! I don't know what it is with Butler but they didn't sign you to get beat every week. I hope he can get it together. I am really impress with how Vrabel has come in and changed this team. Thru the 1st quarter of the season he deserves a grade of A- IMO.   

I keep giving Vrabel and the coaches the most praise. Just think if it was 4th and 2 with a chance to tie the game and settle for the tie Mularkey and Fisher would have kicked that in a heartbeat. 

I said yesterday if your an offensive player on this team you better be walking around like your king sh*t this week because there really arnt a lot of coaches who go for it on 4th and 2 like that and for Vrabel and LaFleur to show confidence in the players and the play call like that really says a lot.

I don’t need to break down every player a lot of you guys have done that already and yesterday there were a lot of great performances but for me I just want to give it up to the coaches because we sat through a lot of bags of crap all these years and Vrabel and his staff have clearly set a tone in that locker room and clearly if you are for the boys you have bought in and are working hard and it’s a big credit to the staff

Jones/Logan/Johnson are all primarily run-stuffers. Neither of them will ever be an interior pass rusher like Casey. Basically their role as a pass rusher will be to drive their man as far back as possible so that the QB doesn't have a pocket to step up into and the edge guys can get him as well as maintain their rushing lanes so that the QB cannot escape up the middle of the pocket and run for yardage. As far as playing the run, we are always in nickel. We've basically said we're willing to let you try to run on us, but we don't want you to score through the air. 

I think they've all played pretty well this year. No team has two Jurrell Casey's.

every week it gets more baffling that harold landry fell as far as he did. he’s already an effective rotational pass rusher that would be worth a second round pick under any circumstance, and i’m borderline giddy at the possibility of what he could become in the future.

also, not unrelated- jurrell casey is having one of his best seasons so far this year. he is as consistently disruptive as i’ve ever seen him. love that dude.

32 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Jones/Logan/Johnson are all primarily run-stuffers. Neither of them will ever be an interior pass rusher like Casey. Basically their role as a pass rusher will be to drive their man as far back as possible so that the QB doesn't have a pocket to step up into and the edge guys can get him as well as maintain their rushing lanes so that the QB cannot escape up the middle of the pocket and run for yardage. As far as playing the run, we are always in nickel. We've basically said we're willing to let you try to run on us, but we don't want you to score through the air. 

I think they've all played pretty well this year. No team has two Jurrell Casey's.

God, we could've been really close if Suh chose us over the Rams.

Some thoughts on the first quarter of the season....

• Casey is a beast and is having arguably his best season. Baldinger constantly raves about Casey and said he’s playing as good as any DT in the game right now.

• The run game is a joke right now. Take away Mariota runs and it’s horrifying. Both the OL and the RBs are an issue. Starting to think Henry isn’t the guy. He’s very limited. Everyone knows when he’s on the field, it’s most likely a run. He’s horrible in the pass game especially with his pass-blocking. I expect this to be an area to address in the offseason likely with a draft pick.

• Injuries!!! It seems like every game, a new injury pops up to a key player. We’ve been pretty fortunate the past few years and it seems it’s all caught up so far this season.

• Still going to say it... Butler isn’t very good and that contract is a joke. Not even just talking about the Matthews TD yesterday which was likely a miscommunication between him and I believe Vaccaro. He gave up a good amount of comeback routes as well.

• OL has been phenomenal in pass-pro. I thought they did pretty well yesterday against arguably the best DL in the league.

• Davis is coming into his own. Said it before he was drafted that I thought he’d be the top receiver from that draft and he’s on his way. 

• Too many drops by the receivers. It’s embarrassing at this point

• CALLING JONNU SMITH!!! YOU SUCK!!!

My thoughts...

-This team was tough and resiliant last year under Mularkey and pulled out some close games...diffrence is that I think we will be in position to win those game more often with this staff.

-It is early and I am not saying Vrabel will be the next really good coach but, I live in Washington DC and I hear all the time that the Skins should have kept McVay and got ride of Gruden...wonder if the Texan's fans and media will be saying the same thing soon??

-I am concerned that Lewan is worried about national media respect...we as fans, that is understandable...but as a player not sure you go down that road. Better to make those comments prior to the AFC Championship game, not after 4 games when no one knows who is any good.

-It is funny that Marcus is prone to these bone head throws, usually you think of that as a gunslinger's flaw not a player like him.

-The drpos....I get pissed because our guys don't come up with some of the good to great catches, like Taylor's would have been on the deep pass fighting through the PI....but Jonnu and Jenkins...Com'on Man!!!

-Really hope we end up between 12 and 15(or worse) on the power rankings...the boy's need to keep that edge, we are not good at being favorites, underdogs all the way!!!

-So I am not superstitious...but I am a little stitious....I heard one of you put up the CJ jersy and pulled out the VY...well I have worn the same TITANS tee shirt weeks 2-4 and washed it on Friday. This Friday I will be in Montana...do I wash it at the hotel??

-Oh and a little something for week 5....lets beat the Bills.....FOR THE BOYS!!!!

Two quick things on my mind 

-It was great to see Mariota have a big game and go tic for tat with Wentz. He gets forgotten whenever the young QBs get mentioned. It's easy to forget that he's exactly 10 months younger than Wentz. Plus he's the only one of all these 25 and younger QBs to with a playoff win. Maybe this will get him back on folk's radar.

-Harold Landry is a special talent. We all knew about his pass rushing ability but his awareness has been the thing that has really stood out to me. For the life of me, I don't understand how a league that places such high value on pass rushers allowed someone with his talent and ability (and no off the field issues) to fall in the 2nd. Their lost is our gain though.

Archived