Sign in to follow this  
Just Want A Title

Patricia's Multiple Defense=Schwart's 9-Wide?

I hate to make the comparison after 4 games but the results from Matt Patricia's multiple defense is starting to look an awful lot like Jim Schwartz's 9-Wide Defense.  Schwartz let his pride prevent him from making the changes required to get his defense on track.  I really hope Matt Patricia doesn't make the same mistake.  I read that one of the Cowboys O-Lineman said that they new what the Lions were going to call on their defense on a lot of plays.  I am not up for panicking after four games but bold moves might be needed.  Paul Pasqualoni may be helpful due to his head coaching experience but I am not sure he is getting it done as our Defensive Coordinator.  Lets hope the Lions go can get a win next Sunday and go into their by on a positive note.  I hope the fact that the Packers played a real slobber-knocker of a game works in our favor.  Thoughts?

I mean, schematically it's basically the opposite of Schwartz's defense, so, no they aren't the same.

Zack Martin didn't say they "knew what they were going to call" as in they had their signals, instead he just said/meant that the Lions defense generally does the same thing in certain situations and they called their plays based on it. The Lions just need to adjust more when teams are getting yards on the same few plays or out of the same formations (the Jets did the same thing with 2 TEs lined up on the same side). The Cowboys used a lot of gap schemes to stress the Lions defense. The defense works when the DL can occupy blockers to allow the LBs to run free to the hole. That isn't as easy when two blockers add two gaps to the playside because they aren't any DL there to occupy them (power, counter, counter trey). The LBs (Christian Jones especially) just need to play better, get to the hole faster, or take on blocks and leverage them properly to allow the safeties to come up and make the play. The Cowboys knew they had a free 5+ yards everytime they ran at Christian Jones so they just kept doing it. The Lions could have run some run blitzes to help but then you basically have to have Lawson covering guys one-on-one with no safety help, which isn't ideal either. The Cowboys threw at him deep early on to make the Lions choose between Lawson getting beat deep or giving up a few extra yards in the run game. They made the right choice. Play your bend don't break style of defense and know that you'll need turnovers or drive-killers to win the game (the Lions would have won if Lawson doesn't drop an interception, if someone recovers the Elliott fumble, or if someone had gotten to the ball or Dak after the strip-sack). 

Jim Bob Cooter deserves a lot of the blame. Kerryon Johnson is averaging more yards after contract than Blount is averaging per carry, yet Blount is still seeing the field just as much. Kerryon is also clearly better as a receiver and looks at least comparable as a pass blocker. At some point the arrogance to not play your best players on offense needs to be recognized. If JBC can't figure out that Blount should rarely see the field then Patricia either needs to overrule him and make the change himself or we'll need to look for a new OC after the season. That has cost us wins just as much as anything else. 

I know everyone is making a big deal about Kerryon Johhson playing more but he is still a rookie.  If we push him too hard early, he will hit the rookie wall hard.  That wouldn't be good for Johnson or the Lions.

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I know everyone is making a big deal about Kerryon Johhson playing more but he is still a rookie.  If we push him too hard early, he will hit the rookie wall hard.  That wouldn't be good for Johnson or the Lions.

Well they need to utilize him more. He receives so few touches that 4 or 5 more per game won’t wear him out.

I don’t recall where I read it but someone speculated they’re concerned about injury. It doesn’t make sense to me after the draft capital they used to get him.

48 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

He handled 309 touches just fine last year in college. Only a few workhorse RBs get more touches than that in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

He handled 309 touches just fine last year in college. Only a few workhorse RBs get more touches than that in the NFL. 

He also had a bunch of injury problems in has last year.  Something to consider.

9 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

He also had a bunch of injury problems in has last year.  Something to consider.

What bunch of injuries did he have last year? I was only aware of the shoulder.

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Not to mention Detroit isn’t in a position to use a player they moved up to draft sparingly. 

The only thing that makes sense to me is he doesn’t have/know the whole playbook. 

16 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Well they need to utilize him more. He receives so few touches that 4 or 5 more per game won’t wear him out.

I don’t recall where I read it but someone speculated they’re concerned about injury. It doesn’t make sense to me after the draft capital they used to get him.

It also doesn't make sense because Bob Quinn stated during their post-draft press conference that he isn't overly worried about his previous injuries and doesn't feel that he is "injury prone"

During his last season in college Kerryon Johnson had hamstring, shoulder and rib injuries.  I am not saying he is injury prone but he might not be physically ready to handle 20-25 rushes per week.