Defensive Personnel via Colbert

Steelers22

It is kind of stating the obvious here but it is somewhat amazing at how bad the personnel on defense is despite the vast number of resources Colbert has put into the defense thus far.  If you want a successful defense, pass-rush is key.  Bud Dupree is a backup player.  When the defense can scheme him open to make a play via his athleticism, he can produce.  One on one matchups, like the rest of front 7, warrants him useless.  I really like TJ Watt but he just isn't a #1 pass rusher at this point.  He wins with his motor but again, he doesn't win one on one matchups.  He's a perfect compliment at this point in his career but he's not carrying the pass rush.  Tuitt has been useless since signing his new deal; Heyward is usually a bright spot.  It would've been nice to have somebody like Harold Landry who seems like a legitimate pass rusher thus far.  Colbert passed on him in round 1.

Since our pass rush is sub-par, the defense then has to rely on a strong secondary.  As we all know, our secondary is REALLY bad and made so much worse because we can't get pressure rushing 4.  On top of that, we get destroyed in the middle of the field because our middle linebackers can't cover.  Can't blame the front office for the loss of Shazier but you can certainly blame them for not even adequately attempting to replace his athleticism.  As we speak, Fred Warner and Darius Leonard have both been studs--two guys who were available during the draft to us.  Edmunds, thus far, has been quite poor and didn't ever fill a massive need in the first place  

To top this all off, the constant "miscommunication" taking place on our defense falls on defensive coaching--Butler has been really bad as well. 

All in all, I'm saying all this because it is actually pretty amazing at just how bad this front office has been at bringing in talent on defense (granted, we've been picking late in the draft almost every year).  Every aspect of the defense, that could potentially cover for the other weaknesses, is incapable of doing so (Shazier was the only one capable of that).  There is really no aspect of the defense that is a plus.  As a result, it is tough to see the Steelers getting to the playoffs this year because the talent just isn't there for a turnaround and I have no faith in Butler and co. to scheme its success up.

Drafting in the back end of the draft means less talent available unless they trade up.  I think the talent is mostly fine.  I thnk the coaching and the scheme is stale

The NFL is cyclical.  It might just be the Steeler's turn

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Drafting in the back end of the draft means less talent available unless they trade up.  I think the talent is mostly fine.  I thnk the coaching and the scheme is stale

The NFL is cyclical.  It might just be the Steeler's turn

Generally, I agree with this.  The steelers have had a great run so hard to be too critical.  However, over the years, Steelers have taken some reaches (according to the general draft community; e.g. Burns & Edmunds).  Artie is a bust and Edmunds, still WAY too early to tell, hasn't been very good.  I don't know, I think Colbert has been tough to support as of late

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They did not draft Edmunds to start.  They signed a FA that is injured and forcing Edmunds to start.

I think that is part of the problem.  The team obviously had major holes that needed to be filled this upcoming season and they drafted for future needs.  We needed a safety but one who could play the FS role and we drafted somebody who is a SS.  It just didn't make a lot of sense to many of us.  

Going into the season we knew the steelers window was closing fast and Colbert and co. drafted for the future--it didn't line up imo

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They did not draft Edmunds to start.  They signed a FA that is injured and forcing Edmunds to start.

Then it's a bad pick.  If you have a defense as bad as we had, you draft to start.

But what does that say about Dupree, Burns, Davis, looking like we can say it for Watt.  For a while you could say it about Shazier.  Something common in all these guys is they were fast late risers.  The worst picks you can have.

as an outsider i got the impression the Steelers 1st round picks lately have been wasted on athletes not football players. should maybe change the evaluation of player talent. i mean, Zadarius Smith hasn't been a world beater with the Ravens but i'd argue as a 4th round pick he's had a better career than his college team mate Dupree. 

4 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

as an outsider i got the impression the Steelers 1st round picks lately have been wasted on athletes not football players. should maybe change the evaluation of player talent. i mean, Zadarius Smith hasn't been a world beater with the Ravens but i'd argue as a 4th round pick he's had a better career than his college team mate Dupree. 

None of us would disagree at all.  In fact I liked Smith a little better coming out.  More fundamentally sound but a lesser athlete.

well Steelers are free to sign him in FA since he'll be the next Raven to be let go for a comp pick. 

it is curious that teams can be so good at evaluating players at certain positions (ie Steelers - offensive skill players) yet so bad at other positions. 

how i'd love the Ravens to draft a capable WR for once xD

10 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Youre right. Simply put.

steelers used to always find quality starters/depth guys on defense through later rounds in the draft 

we are not finding the next Brett Kessel, Larry foote, Ike taylor, deshea townsend, aaron Smith etc in the later rounds no more... I think VW is the best late Rd defensive pick in the tomlin era(his only other competition is Keanon lewis and maybe cortez for like half a season) in a whole decade worth of drafts ..and screwing up 1st round picks makes it even worse

34 minutes ago, August4th said:

steelers used to always find quality starters/depth guys on defense through later rounds in the draft 

we are not finding the next Brett Kessel, Larry foote, Ike taylor, deshea townsend, aaron Smith etc in the later rounds no more... I think VW is the best late Rd defensive pick in the tomlin era(his only other competition is Keanon lewis and maybe cortez for like half a season) in a whole decade worth of drafts ..and screwing up 1st round picks makes it even worse

Check out my post in the 2019 thread i made.

3 hours ago, berlin calling said:

I mentioned in the pre-draft process that when evaluating Dupree, Smith jumped off the screen. Dupree, not so much. 

Archived