Week 5 GDT: Raiders at Chargers

RaidersAreOne

Who takes home the W this weekend?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes home the W this weekend?

2. 2. What will the point difference be?

6 hours ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

He gave a reason as to why it wouldn’t be smart to draft a safety high three years in a row when the media asked his impression on James, and clearly, he still had hopes of developing one of them.

He was trying to praise James here and that’s all there really was to the quote. Don’t fall for the national media’s agenda of twisting everything he says. 

8 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah seriously, I don't have much respect for Gruden anymore.

I don't think he said anything wrong here personally. Coming in as a new coach, you don't know a lot about the current roster. He and the staff didn't get to be hands on with KJ and Obi until after the draft (which is part of what sucks with the CBA). 

Raiders drafted KJ in 2016 and Obi in 2017 with 2 high picks. So I can see the staff thinking, "okay we have a couple young guys at the spot"..... but we're in trouble at LT. They can't know at the time that the skillsets of both players isn't what they need.

I imagine we will see a much more calculated approach to building the roster next offseason. 

6 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Excited to see how Parker plays. My expectations are low. 

Tough test going up against Ingram. Dude has elite level pass rush moves to get to the inside. 

If you've noticed, Gruden isn't letting Carr run many long developing pass plays. I don't remember seeing a 5-7 step drop at all. And very few play action passes. Really need these young tackles to grow and solidify the Oline. 

I guess when it comes to the James discussion the question now is, does any of it matter?

James would definitely be a welcome replacement for any of our safeties, but would that trump Miller replacing Penn? 

IMO, LT is way more important and we may have got that right.

Why not just say we are happy with Kolton Miller but we were really high on James as well. Gruden is a great coach but as a person he’s hard to like.

The constant shifting of blame is getting lame, this franchise has been in a lot worse spots than when he took over.

21 minutes ago, true2form said:

I guess when it comes to the James discussion the question now is, does any of it matter?

James would definitely be a welcome replacement for any of our safeties, but would that trump Miller replacing Penn? 

IMO, LT is way more important and we may have got that right.

One hard look around the league lets anyone know the massive gap between the value of a left tackle and a safety. I wanted James, I like James alot, but good players at safety can barely get contracts. I and almost all fans underestimated pre draft how bad the tackle need was. Imagine Oakland now without Miller and Parker. We're looking at Silberman and who? (possibly Sharpe) playing our starting tackle spots? As good as Derwin James is and may become, in retrospect it's an absolute no brainer to go with the LT Miller. In this particular case, this kind of decision is exactly what managing a team is about. 

31 minutes ago, holyghost said:

One hard look around the league lets anyone know the massive gap between the value of a left tackle and a safety. I wanted James, I like James alot, but good players at safety can barely get contracts. I and almost all fans underestimated pre draft how bad the tackle need was. Imagine Oakland now without Miller and Parker. We're looking at Silberman and who? (possibly Sharpe) playing our starting tackle spots? As good as Derwin James is and may become, in retrospect it's an absolute no brainer to go with the LT Miller. In this particular case, this kind of decision is exactly what managing a team is about. 

Good post. I was gutted we passed on first Fitzpatrick and then James and Miller was the one player I really didn't want. Goes to show how little we all actually know!

2 hours ago, holyghost said:

James is going to be an all-pro player. He's a once a generation safety prospect IMO. Said that before the draft, he's delivering on it all ready.

The Raiders could have drafted OT later in the draft and they did with Parker. So they could have still landed Parker and looked at Crosby (Lions drafted in round 5) had a nice preseason. Or a guy I was touting Des Harrison, who is the starting LT for Cleveland and wasn't drafted. Or Orlando Brown, round 4 who will be a stud. 

Point is.... there were other ways to fill the tackle spots. Draft and FA while still taking the BPA in the draft.

I get the logic, I just hated the execution. And thankfully Miller has looked solid, because nobody liked that pick in real time.

Archived