GDT Week #5 Steelers vs. Falcons

Steeler Hitman

Just now, Shady Slim said:

from memory wasn’t burnett slated to be our defensive signal caller?

injuries happen to everyone etc i know but he was our star offseason defense acquisition and it’s such a shame he’s missed this time early on

remember him being praised for his smarts when he signed him...would bet he would be a candidate for that role

49 minutes ago, jebrick said:

No one has the speed of Shazier on the Steelers.  Even the WR do not have his speed.

THat being said the teams, as I predicted, are picking on VWilliams to cover the middle of the field.

Thomas almost has the speed of shazier.  That was good when Shazier won the WR race, but Bryant wasn't in on that.  Thomas getting playing time as a starter is  saying our starters are hurt because to have a UDFA rook play ahead of the LB they brought in UFA or the one they drafted and signed to a new deal isn't going to make colbert happy thats for sure. 

If you want Thomas to drop back like tampa 2 and take care of the middle, he should do that with ease.  I want to see how he covers a TE now before we face other good TE's. If he can drop back in zone as well as cover TE, then he is our new starting ILB. Bostic would be the other , and that leave Williams  out.  The team can't keep wasting time, this schedule isn't like last year and this D has other weaknesses they need to fix too. 

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

If you want Thomas to drop back like tampa 2 and take care of the middle, he should do that with ease.  I want to see how he covers a TE now before we face other good TE's. If he can drop back in zone as well as cover TE, then he is our new starting ILB. Bostic would be the other , and that leave Williams  out.  The team can't keep wasting time, this schedule isn't like last year and this D has other weaknesses they need to fix too. 

VWilliams and Bostic drop back in Tampa-2 coverage now.  Bostic is better than VWill but thre speed is telling.  Teams are picking on Williams in the middle of the field.

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

VWilliams and Bostic drop back in Tampa-2 coverage now.  Bostic is better than VWill but thre speed is telling.  Teams are picking on Williams in the middle of the field.

And my fear with Thomas isn't the speed, it's the play recognition.  We all look at Shazier with rose colored glasses now, but he was terrible his first 2.5 years at that.  He was over running things, lost in coverage, and overmatched when the ball was thrown his way.

Something happened in year 3 where the game started to slow down for him and those issues didn't exist anymore.

I think, despite Thomas's speed, that's why VWill and Bostic are still in there.  They at least recognize the play.  If you could take their experience and put it in the package that Thomas gives you, we would have Shazier back on the field.

49 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Defense thru week 4...

Pts/Dr... 18th
TOs/Dr... 12th
Yds/Dr... 17th

Pretty much average.

Offense is more of a problem

Also, I can't recall who said it but the defense has gotten worse every year of Butler. It's actually improved every year. This team succeeds and fails through the offense. If it's not clicking, we're terrible. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Defense thru week 4...

Pts/Dr... 18th
TOs/Dr... 12th
Yds/Dr... 17th

Pretty much average.

Yards is misleading.  As is points.  TO's is what this defense was designed for.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Also, I can't recall who said it but the defense has gotten worse every year of Butler. It's actually improved every year. This team succeeds and fails through the offense. If it's not clicking, we're terrible. 

Im sure Im not the only one that said it but i did say that and it has definitely not improved. Our secondary and pass rush are virtually non existent.

49 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Im sure Im not the only one that said it but i did say that and it has definitely not improved. Our secondary and pass rush are virtually non existent.

The stats don't bear that out. According to defensive efficiency, they've improved every year under Butler.  

We're definitely bad this year and it seems like we've taken a step back. I'm just stating what the stats say. 

Games against the Falcons have been entertaining in recent history

2014: Steelers 27 - Falcons 20 in Atlanta

2010: Steelers 15 - Falcons 9 in OT in Pittsburgh

2006: Falcons 41 - Steelers 38 in OT in Atlanta

2000: Steelers 34 - Falcons 34 OT tie in Pittsburgh

Should be another good one with defense being optional.

14 hours ago, jebrick said:

Defense thru week 4...

Pts/Dr... 18th
TOs/Dr... 12th
Yds/Dr... 17th

Pretty much average.

Its fun to cherry pick, huh?

Both suck right now.

The offense sucks right now for two main reasons (IMO)....Ben and the offensive line.   I trust that they can bounce back.
The defense sucks because there is very little talent, zero playmakers, and the coaching blows.    They arent bouncing back.

Both sides are the problem right now.....only one side has the talent to succeed.

Neither side has the coaching.

That being said....Coaching is the MAIN problem right now (as a whole, the team just doesnt seem to care outside of maybe 1 quarter per game)....but even with coaching, the defense doesnt have the talent to be anything more than okay-ish, and that's being nice.

Reminds me of the start to the 2013 season.

Archived