Feed The Zeke: A Leader In The Making

D82

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Plus, there’s this: Elliott ran the ball at least 20 times (23, 26, 23) in three straight games for only the second time this season. Prior to the Thanksgiving stretch, he’d only gotten 20-plus carries in three of the first nine games.

Elliott wants the ball. He knows that in many ways, he’s the engine for this offense. But he also dealt with a little hip soreness last week before the Saints game, according to head coach Jason Garrett.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/3-out-red-zone-zeke-s-rest-the-race

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000996948/article/running-the-football-still-works-plus-the-amari-cooper-effect

"I certainly can't squash that notion -- the aerial evolution of this league is undeniable -- but I'm here to tell you that making a concerted effort to run the football is still the best way to consistently win games.

Now, I know that opinion is an unpopular one in many circles, particularly with the analytics crowd, but the numbers continue to back up my old-school belief that routinely pounding the rock is what matters most down the stretch.

Don't believe me? Just look at the following data ...

From Weeks 11-13, teams that ranked in the top half of the NFL in terms of run-play percentage posted a combined record of 32-13 (71.1 winning percentage). On the flip side, teams that ranked in the bottom half of the league in this category logged a combined mark of 12-31 (27.9). Digging a little deeper with the help of my editorial staff, I discovered that 11 teams ran the ball on at least 45 percent of their snaps during Weeks 11-13. Those teams' combined record? 23-7. That's a robust 76.7 winning percentage. And six of those teams -- the Ravens (who ran the ball a whopping 67.4 percent of the time during this span), Patriots (54.5), Texans (53.6), Seahawks (51.4), Cowboys (47.5) and Broncos (46.9) -- didn't lose a single game over the past three weeks. Considering that the teams that kept it on the ground on less than 40 percent of their snaps in Weeks 11-13 went a combined 11-29 (27.5 winning percentage), it is fairly obvious that consistently running the ball still equates to success in this league.

Now, I know the analytics crowd will immediately @ me suggesting that some of those numbers are inflated by the fourth quarter, when a team is ahead and intent on running out the clock. However, we crunched the numbers on the first three quarters, taking the final period completely out of the equation. Teams that ran on at least 45 percent of their snaps in Quarters 1-3 went 19-9 (67.9 winning percentage) in Weeks 11-13. Those that pounded it on 40 percent or less of their offensive plays? 12-22 (35.3)."

Right now Elliot is getting 20.6 carries a game 2 more then next on the list and 4 more then third place that Is a lot in the course of a year Especially sense he is such a physical runner and more often then not gets hit before the line of scrimmage there actually are 11 rushers in the top 20 of yards list who average more YPC then Zeke —

The fact that Zeke is leading the league is a teatimate to just how good a RB he is and just against what people here seem to think how we STICK to the running game 

I want to actually limit his carries going forward especially after this upcoming week 

4 hours ago, quiller said:

Right now Elliot is getting 20.6 carries a game 2 more then next on the list and 4 more then third place that Is a lot in the course of a year Especially sense he is such a physical runner and more often then not gets hit before the line of scrimmage there actually are 11 rushers in the top 20 of yards list who average more YPC then Zeke —

The fact that Zeke is leading the league is a teatimate to just how good a RB he is and just against what people here seem to think how we STICK to the running game 

I want to actually limit his carries going forward especially after this upcoming week 

I disagree. He can rest during the off season.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

I just saw on NFL.com Zeke is requesting a new deal be done this off season.

Im torn. The plan when we drafted him was 5 years (maybe 6 if we franchise) of running him into the ground, then let him walk and get a 3rd round comp pick. 

But he is such a big part of what we are. 

Archived