What's wrong with our running game this season?

SotanKing

What we thought would be one of our strengths has been hugely disappointing so far this season.

We are in bottom of the league in all these following categories - 

Total Running Yards - 252 (last in the league)

Running Yards per game - 63 (last in the league)

Yards per run attempt - 3.5 (30th in the league)

Longest rush - 19 yards (31st in the league)

Rush TDs - 0 (last in the league...we are the only team yet to record a rush TD)

Rushing attempts - 73 (last in the league)

These are some absolutely terrible stats..has the problem been our Running backs or is the run blocking? I think it's the latter....we got to figure this out asap...we cannot become too one-dimensional and predictable on offense

Combination of bad OL play built to be better pass protectors and game situations. The Packers, Bills and Rams all presented large deficits where running the ball was abandoned.

I also question Cook's ability as a runner post knee surgery. It seems like Murray is more effective running behind the same OL.

This is an issue that needs to be fixed ASAP, which will help the defense.

Runningbacks usually aren't back to normal for a long time after an ACL tear. Sometimes it can take up to 18 months to look as good as they were. I think Todd Gurley is a good example of this. Guys like Adrian Peterson are the exception (but even he started off slow for his standards).

I'd expect Cook to look very good next season, assuming he doesn't tear up his knee again. 

It's hard to get any consistency running the ball when you're trailing 60% of the time, as they've been doing this season.  In fact, they've only played with a lead 22% of the time.  It's no wonder that they're having trouble running the ball.  In comparison, the Bears, for example, have played with a lead on 60% of plays.  It's no wonder why they've been so far more effective rushing the ball (and doing it 116 times compared to the Vikings' 73).  

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's hard to get any consistency running the ball when you're trailing 60% of the time, as they've been doing this season.  In fact, they've only played with a lead 22% of the time.  It's no wonder that they're having trouble running the ball.  In comparison, the Bears, for example, have played with a lead on 60% of plays.  It's no wonder why they've been so far more effective rushing the ball (and doing it 116 times compared to the Vikings' 73).  

Basically we can blame the defense for all of our problems this year. The defense is dreadful.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Basically we can blame the defense for all of our problems this year. The defense is dreadful.

I think it clearly has played a major part of it.  If they can't stop anyone, the offense has to continually pass the ball to play catch-up.  This team wasn't built to be a Saints/Packers-style team, but that's what they're having to play like with the defense as bad as it's been.

56 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

tbh except our passing game(mainly our QB and WRs), everything else has been below par - Defense, Special teams, running game, OL

Archived