What's wrong with our running game this season?

SotanKing

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

How the heck did we only have 4 RB rushes against Buffalo? Just realized that....

Exactly. That’s why I put a lot of this on the OC. 

I don’t think the Eams game was all that much better. More carries, yes, but we only handed the ball off 3 times in the second half. 

DeFilippo is just making this way too easy for opposing defenses. Which makes what Cousins, Diggs, and Thielen are doing even more impressive. But it also explains, to an extent, why the o-line is allowing so many pressures. 

I’m not blaming Defilippo that game, we probably shouldn’t have abandoned it that early, but playing from behind it seemed like paranoia. Bills before that struggled against the pass, their starting CB’s outside White were junk. I’m sure even in the game plan it was to beat their CB’s.

but... we still should have run more, even being down, at least try to keep them honest. 

Now this upcoming game we are playing against basically the best run defense in the league..... so this should be interesting. 

Weird how in preseason we were worried about the passing game, but the run game was working, now it’s completely backwards.

I still wish we went to a Reiff, Jones, Elfein, Isidora, Remmers OL... would help tremendously in the run game.... Remmers should not be playing Guard...

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Exactly. That’s why I put a lot of this on the OC. 

I don’t think the Eams game was all that much better. More carries, yes, but we only handed the ball off 3 times in the second half. 

DeFilippo is just making this way too easy for opposing defenses. Which makes what Cousins, Diggs, and Thielen are doing even more impressive. But it also explains, to an extent, why the o-line is allowing so many pressures. 

If this continues, will Flip lose any chance of being a Head Coach? There was a lot of talk that he'd be a one and done here in Minnesota as a Coordinator. 

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If this continues, will Flip lose any chance of being a Head Coach? There was a lot of talk that he'd be a one and done here in Minnesota as a Coordinator. 

After the first four weeks of Viking football...no way should he get a HC job.  Maybe he can still turn it around...I hope.

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

After the first four weeks of Viking football...no way should he get a HC job.  Maybe he can still turn it around...I hope.

I agree, through 4 weeks I'm not the least bit concerned of him leaving.

21 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I agree, through 4 weeks I'm not the least bit concerned of him leaving.

No, but it does increase the chances of Kevin Stefanski leaving after the year for an OC job, considering his contract will be up.  

On 10/3/2018 at 2:25 AM, SteelKing728 said:

If Kirk Cousins has a career year, which he’s currently on pace to do, DeFilippo will undoubtedly get multiple HC interviews. 

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

His play selection would indicate otherwise. 

I mean do you really want to run the ball when it's a struggle for the RB just to get back to the LOS? Heck, Cousins was getting hit.....ON RUNNING PLAYS vs. Buffalo.

It's a crappy little dilemma Flipper has. Do you run the ball and grind out 1-2 yards but set yourself up for 2nd and 3rd and long? Do you stick with the run regardless and hope something starts to loosen up so you can run some play-action?

Maybe try some pitches and outside runs to take advantage of Cook (if he ever plays again)? He does GREAT out on the edge catching swing passes when he's getting more 1-on-1 looks rather than running through a hole the size of Vike Daddy 's prostate

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

If Kirk Cousins has a career year, which he’s currently on pace to do, DeFilippo will undoubtedly get multiple HC interviews. 

Oh gosh...I don't know...I don't see that happening, unless Cousins career year equals a division championship and playoff run.

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I mean do you really want to run the ball when it's a struggle for the RB just to get back to the LOS? Heck, Cousins was getting hit.....ON RUNNING PLAYS vs. Buffalo.

It's a crappy little dilemma Flipper has. Do you run the ball and grind out 1-2 yards but set yourself up for 2nd and 3rd and long? Do you stick with the run regardless and hope something starts to loosen up so you can run some play-action?

Well, the trouble, as I see it, is that even if the Vikings aren't running on 1st down, they are throwing dinks and dunks that wind up not gaining yardage either.  I really don't know what THE answer is...but, I do know a competent offensive line helps and gives the OC more choices in play calling.

Archived