Bucs name Winston the starter over FITZMAGIC

TheKillerNacho

On 10/1/2018 at 10:46 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24862089/tampa-bay-buccaneers-name-jameis-winston-starting-quarterback

Time for him to eat some Ws as he takes the starting job from PFF's golden boy thus far. It's a shame for Fitzmagic... he obviously didnt play the best last week, but the Bucs defense is mostly to blame and Winston played even worse.

But hey, one guy is the 1st overall pick. The other is a career journyman. This is likely done because Koetter knows that if Winston doesn't show improvement, he's done.

That was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.   Desean Jackson's reaction was priceless.

Like the guy above said. I do not get the hate on this guy. Yeah, maybe for his off the field stuff. As for his play he has done good IMO since he has been here. The talent he has around him since being in Tampa has not been that great up until last year. Last year Jameis clearly had a shoulder injury that effected his throwing. I would go out and say he is the best QB this team has ever had. 

I know people want to crap on Winston for his play against CHI but it is not like he was rusty and playing one of the better defenses who leads the NFL in sacks and a player who is having a Lawrence Taylor MVP-esque year. It's also not helping this team does not have a run game. That is a QB's best friend. I honestly expect Jameis to play well and I see a lot of people on here saying they are going to replace him. Who the hell are they going to replace him with? The 2019 QB class is crap and the QB FA's are as well. 

On 10/3/2018 at 5:59 AM, Ryan_W said:

I don't know many mediocre journeyman who can wow 2 games in a row. or how many mediocres still find suitors after playing for TEN years

I would have thought 'journeyman' would suffice.

I don't think it's a bad word at all

FIFY.

The PIT game exposed him for who he is and who we've always known him to be.  

On 10/2/2018 at 8:17 AM, ET80 said:

I don't think it's as long as we all assume. If you take the off-field distractions and the on field performance (which isn't exactly #1 pick worthy - might not even be 1st round worthy) I can see a scenario where they cut their losses, put in Fitzpatrick to hold down the fort for the remainder of the season and then part ways with Winston during the off-season.

It's pure speculation on my part, so I could be reading the situation wrong - but I think they expected more on-field from Winston, and it never developed as they wanted.

The off-field stuff has been rumored--repeatedly--to be a big deal to the front office, and ownership. The sheer number of those stories we've seen suggest that there is, in fact, something to them. And honestly, why wouldn't there be? 

On 10/2/2018 at 9:08 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

Maybe... but Dirk Koetter's job is connected to Jameis. He was hired to develop Jameis. If Jameis is gone, so is Dirk so I don't think Dirk would bench him. Honestly, it's probably why he's getting the job back, already.

I think Jameis would have to really suck (like, a complete implosion) or get hurt for us to see Fitzmagic again. Dirk needs Winston to show something positive or he'll be shown the door.

You're ignoring the fact that Winston's fate may not be entirely in Koetter's hands, though. It's entirely possible that if Winston underwhelms, he's done....

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

You're ignoring the fact that Winston's fate may not be entirely in Koetter's hands, though. It's entirely possible that if Winston underwhelms, he's done....

It's not like the front office wants a journeyman starting over their formerly 1st overall pick, either... And yes, Winston underwhelming could mean he's done. But that would almost certainly lead to both the Head Coach and GM being done, too.

12 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

It's not like the front office wants a journeyman starting over their formerly 1st overall pick, either... And yes, Winston underwhelming could mean he's done. But that would almost certainly lead to both the Head Coach and GM being done, too.

Yup. The Glazers have paid almost as many coaches to NOT coach the team as they have to employ them. Especially recently.

They're a fickle bunch, whose patience isn't consistent.

Archived