1/4 season MVP

malak1

25 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Mack is just nudging him out in stats. Goes to show the force Watt is even when coming off injury.

I'm a big fan of Watt and I like to see him doing well after his injury issues. But Mack has taken the same core defensive players around him from last year who ranked; 14th in overall DVOA, 14th in pass rush, 13th against the run to #1 in DVOA, 3rd in pass rush and 4th against the run. Albeit, through 3 weeks. 

It's also worth noting that those numbers would be much higher if not for the 2nd half of the Packers game in which those numbers rose to 7.90%(18th) and 176.40%(32), respectively for each quarter, during a game that Mack had not yet had a chance to get acclimated beings that he signed with the team only a week prior..

Meanwhile, the Raiders defense now rank 31st overall, 31st against the pass and 28th against the run.

Mack has been taking on double and even triple teams(when counting checks) and is still wreaking havoc.  

6 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I like this order. It's really pretty even but playing QB, I give the two a bump ahead of Mack.

If Mack keeps strip sacking and scoring and most of all and usually helps with  his team if they are winning. I see him having a chance but you are right he isn’t a qb. So it stands and if Mahomes continues this which I think he does. He has the best skill players on his team and will constantly thrive. 

It’s.         Mahomes Goff and Mack

11 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I like this order. It's really pretty even but playing QB, I give the two a bump ahead of Mack.

This is the only reason why I put Brees above Mack. The voters are alsways going to go this order......

1) QB

2) pass rusher
3) Everyone else

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This is the only reason why I put Brees above Mack. The voters are alsways going to go this order......

1) QB

2) pass rusher
3) Everyone else

Not so sure considering only 1 defensive player has ever on MVP.  It's more like 

1. The Best QB

2 The 2nd Best QB

3. Top Rusher on a playoff team

4. Everyone else

1 minute ago, Classic said:

Not so sure considering only 1 defensive player has ever on MVP.  It's more like 

1. The Best QB

2 The 2nd Best QB

3. Top Rusher on a playoff team

4. Everyone else

Hence the large space for emphasis......

7 minutes ago, DannyB said:

It's Mahomes and Goff right now. That's it and that's all. Any other argument for anybody else is just for the sake of being different or adding different names in just for variety.

How do the other names NOT belong in the conversation? 

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

How do the other names NOT belong in the conversation? 

BESIDES the directive to list 5 names. It could only be Goff or Mahomes.

For the first quarter of the season, they have played the most important, game-influencing single position on the field better than anyone else, and led their teams to undefeated records in more impressive fashions.

Mack's been unreal, and he's certainly made an impact, but even if you want to try and fight the losing battle that even an epic pass rusher can have the same influence on a game as an elite quarterback, the Bears have lost a game, squeaked past some crappy teams, and finally smoked a team except it looks like midnight came WAY early for that Cinderella story and Tampa is once again a fugly stepsister.

7 minutes ago, DannyB said:

BESIDES the directive to list 5 names. It could only be Goff or Mahomes.

For the first quarter of the season, they have played the most important, game-influencing single position on the field better than anyone else, and led their teams to undefeated records in more impressive fashions.

Mack's been unreal, and he's certainly made an impact, but even if you want to try and fight the losing battle that even an epic pass rusher can have the same influence on a game as an elite quarterback, the Bears have lost a game, squeaked past some crappy teams, and finally smoked a team except it looks like midnight came WAY early for that Cinderella story and Tampa is once again a fugly stepsister.

I'm not denying that. I even said QB's are almost always going to win it, no matter what. 

But we're talking about what it looks like as of week 4. And I'm not fighting any "battle". Most fans see the impact (as of week 4) and recognize that as of right now, Mack deserves to be in the hunt. The same with Zeke.

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

I'm not denying that. I even said QB's are almost always going to win it, no matter what. 

But we're talking about what it looks like as of week 4. And I'm not fighting any "battle". Most fans see the impact (as of week 4) and recognize that as of right now, he deserves to be in the hunt. The same with Zeke.

Well, here's where we're gonna run into the issue of you reading original posts and taking to heart the poster's intent...

I took the title to mean, if the season ended tonight and awards were given out, who's the MVP.

If we're taking an early look at who's in the running? Mack's probably in the conversation. He might even win it if both Goff and Mahomes get Tyler Eifert'ed within the next couple weeks, and Mack starts playing under center and hangs 45 TDs before the season's over.

Archived