What to do with CJ Mosley?

diamondbull424

CJ Mosley in FA  

16 members have voted

1. 1. CJ Mosley in FA

• He’s a top ILB we should give him a top 5 ILB money.
    • He’s a declining option, but has value. Offer a top 10 money and see what happens.
    • He’s a declining option, let him walk for a compensatory pick

So being in a contract year and with the fact that we didn’t extend his contract to this point, it seems obvious that we’re going to allow him to test the free agency waters.

Based off of his play to this point, what type of contract would you be willing to offer him or would you rather just see him walk and get the compensatory pick in return?

What say you all?

someone will pay him more than the Ravens want to. could really be the Steelers, they have nothing. Bostic? cmon man.

i mean DeCosta will have the funds to extend him, but it is going to be rather interesting watching him deploy these funds on the team. will he spend on D like Ozzie or will he look to further strengthen the O by adding through FA or extend some guys like #13

I don't think they let him walk. In 2 seasons the team will most likely be without Suggs, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr, Eric Weddle, and the team will need some type of leader and presence in the middle. I believe the front office and coaching staff view Mosley as such a cornerstone.

He was really really good the first seasons, but I do believe he has either stalled his development or declined a bit and isn't a top tier inside linebacker prospect, which is why I don't think we should pay him as such.

I do believe we will however, which revert to the discussion we had about how we prioritize the contracts given to players where we seem to favor the defensive players.

I'm really surprised by this poll. I would've expected everyone here to say "pay the man!", but I'm pleasantly surprised. I agree with pretty much all opinions here. Mosley started out great, but over the last few seasons has been steadily declining and right now he's just a solid contributor on a defense that's loaded with talent. Letting him walk or offering him top-10 ILB money and seeing how he reacts really wouldn't be that big of a loss considering how good we historically are at stacking the ILB position.

With a defense that's about to lose a bunch of pieces to retirement in the next couple of years, overpaying a declining/overrated ILB is something I would really hope we avoid doing.

I... don't know? Mosley is such an enigma. He can be a really good play-maker, or a liability as showcased this past Sunday night. He's obviously not 100% but his ups and downs are still obvious.

With that said I think the team is better off with him around given the aging leadership on the defense. Suggs and Weddle are going to be gone within the next three years. Jimmy doesn't sound like that kind of guy, and the same goes for Williams even though he seems to be very well liked by the team. Maybe Marlon steps up? I don't know, but player leadership is important and C.J. is that guy.

Depends on price I guess. Kuechly is the high-water mark with a 5-year deal at just under $62 million with $27 million guaranteed. Then there's a drop to $50 million over 5 years for Kendricks and McKinney, the higher guarantee being $16 million for Benardrick. I think Mosley probably slots at the higher end between there, something like $58 million over five years with $24 million guaranteed. Not sure that's a number I would feel good about though, and cap inflation might put those numbers over Luke's in the end anyways. His deal was signed in 2015. The two $50 million deals were signed earlier this year though so it's hard to get a feel for the market. 

I still don't know how to feel.

For me, I believe the only reason I considered the second option is the fact that Eric Weddle will be gone after next season and Suggs could be as well. The defense needs a leader that can command the unit, can Kenny Young be that guy? Can that guy be found in the draft?

ILB, like RB is a position where I feel you can find instant impact players that can ignite. I think while this team really has needs at IOL (particularly center) and RB, we could use someone that has an attitude. I like what I see from Williams from an attitude perspective, he’s a Raven.

Back to Mosley, he definitely brings a veteran savvy, but unlike the GOAT Ravens, he doesn’t have the longevity. Suggs at 16 years in the league is as fast as Mosley is this early in his career. Sure he might still be a top 10 ILB in this league next season or the season following, but if in a contract year he hasn’t elevated his game (and he wasn’t particularly explosive before this most recent injury), than I don’t expect him to live up to a contract five years down the road. He’s a great professional, but he’s not a stud. He’s a poor investment, unless he somehow takes his game to a whole other level. I’d rather we roll cap over and save it for down the road.

What gives people the impression that Mosley is any more of a leader on the team than anyone else who is a solidified starter right now? We lost him in the Bengals game and tbh the biggest issue we had on defense was that Weddle had to take the mic helmet. In the future, if that helmet would've gone to Kenny Young, who would've noticed (or cared) that Mosley was out of that game with the way Young was playing?

I guess what I'm trying to say here is: Are we saying he's a leader because he's an actual leader, or just because we assume he is?

I don’t there’s any question that Mosley is a well-liked person within the organisation and I believe he is a central figure from a leadership standpoint. I think I remember Harbaugh mentioning Mosley (together with Suggs and Weddle) when talking about a defensive group of leaders which he consults with, so no doubt in my mind that he is a leader.

The question then is, how much is that leadership worth? He’s currently not playing as a top 5 ILB but probably in that 5-10 range. Call me old school but I would prioritise defense and stability and pay him app. the same as McKinney and Kendricks.

29 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What gives people the impression that Mosley is any more of a leader on the team than anyone else who is a solidified starter right now? We lost him in the Bengals game and tbh the biggest issue we had on defense was that Weddle had to take the mic helmet. In the future, if that helmet would've gone to Kenny Young, who would've noticed (or cared) that Mosley was out of that game with the way Young was playing?

I guess what I'm trying to say here is: Are we saying he's a leader because he's an actual leader, or just because we assume he is?

Because just from the many interviews that I’ve seen of players being interviewed, especially young up and coming players, outside of mentioning Suggs and Weddle, Mosley is always brought up as a great example to follow and to learn from. I think that shows that he’s someone that these players are able to get advice and rely on and probably also seeks out giving advice to help progress said players.

When guys from multiple position groups talking about learning from you, I think that’s a sign of leadership beyond startership IMO.

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Because just from the many interviews that I’ve seen of players being interviewed, especially young up and coming players, outside of mentioning Suggs and Weddle, Mosley is always brought up as a great example to follow and to learn from. I think that shows that he’s someone that these players are able to get advice and rely on and probably also seeks out giving advice to help progress said players.

When guys from multiple position groups talking about learning from you, I think that’s a sign of leadership beyond startership IMO.

But is any of that things that someone like Kenny Young couldn't also do? Mosley definitely seems like a "lead by example" kind of player, but not really a locker room leader type of guy who your team can rally behind.

The thing I wonder with CJ is whether he'd actually be considered a 'franchise' guy if he hadn't been a 1st round pick/had the whole 'Ray Lewis's successor' mantle thrust upon him and sort of boost him up throughout his career. It's not that he's a bad player - he's a really good one, for sure. But he's playing at a position we've generally done a really good job at identifying/developing talent at = look at Zach Orr most recently, not to mention Kenny Young looking like he'll be a hit as well, which to me suggests he might be replaceable. I think CJ is probably another very good but not ELITE player who we traditionally have let hit the market to be overpaid elsewhere, but there's going to be more demand to keep him in part because there's been a perception about CJ basically since he was a rookie that he's on a path of stardom.

There's a decent chance CJ is asking for Kuechly money or even more, and he'll probably get that on the open market - I hope we don't give him that. On a smaller scale I think paying that much would be reminiscent of when we made Flacco the highest paid QB in the league at the time - a move that you can at least justify by pointing to the QB premium that exists. There is no ILB premium, and the way the league is moving it's becoming less and less of an important position. CJ's not even good at the parts of his job that are becoming more important in today's NFL - pass coverage. I'm not ready to give him $50 million+ just because he's said to be a decent leader. Let him walk. 

Archived