State of our team

Rolni

Carr has been way worse than I thought. 0.1 air depth lol. I don’t think Carr will ever get his confidence back. Of course, he has at least 8 more games to prove otherwise. If we are in contention to pick in the Top 2 in the final two weeks, I’d rather start McCarron or Manuel Week 16 and 17 and ensure we get that Top 2 pick. 

25 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think you guys have to try to believe in Grudens vision. He’s here for a bare minimum five full seasons. Accept it’s a rebuild and try to convince yourself he knows what he’s doing. Or else the next five years will drive you insane. 

I think we all hope for the best and I'm sure we all want the Raiders to be as successful as possible, but we shouldn't just blindly follow and support every move. This is a forum for discussion with some very knowledgeable and insightful posters, we're just airing our views which with all due respect shouldn't necessarily agree with management and the FO.

What do you think Gruden's vision is as it doesn't seem cohesive?

How is he going about accomplishing it, how will he build his vision?

We seemed to me a couple pieces away from a legitimate contender - why did we even need a rebuild?

26 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I think we all hope for the best and I'm sure we all want the Raiders to be as successful as possible, but we shouldn't just blindly follow and support every move. This is a forum for discussion with some very knowledgeable and insightful posters, we're just airing our views which with all due respect shouldn't necessarily agree with management and the FO.

We seemed to me a couple pieces away from a legitimate contender - why did we even need a rebuild?

Couple pieces away? I thought we had the worst roster minus only the Colts going into the season. This was a very talent depleted team. Who’s talented on defense outside of the rookies and Conley? Who’s talented on offense besides our interior line? Cooper and Carr are wildly inconsistent. Carr had a great line in 15 and 16, and has always been a QB since college that struggles without an absolute elite OL. 

I didn’t want Gruden, and think he’s a bad GM (although excellent coach with a great staff) however a full rebuild was necessary regardless of coach. A coach who didn’t think we needed a rebuild would of put us back further IMO. I absolutely like Grudens aggressiveness. Just not sure he’s the right guy to build a roster. We’ll see. I’ll give him a few years. 

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:
36 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Couple pieces away? I thought we had the worst roster minus only the Colts going into the season. This was a very talent depleted team. Who’s talented on defense outside of the rookies and Conley? Who’s talented on offense besides our interior line? Cooper and Carr are wildly inconsistent. Carr had a great line in 15 and 16, and has always been a QB since college that struggles without an absolute elite OL. 

I didn’t want Gruden, and think he’s a bad GM (although excellent coach with a great staff) however a full rebuild was necessary regardless of coach. A coach who didn’t think we needed a rebuild would of put us back further IMO. I absolutely like Grudens aggressiveness. Just not sure he’s the right guy to build a roster. We’ll see. I’ll give him a few years. 

Edited 10 minutes ago by BayRaider

I've said all along I think the 12-4 Raiders slightly overachieved, however I thought we were closer to those than the 2017 vintage, a fringe playoff team who were a couple pieces away:

On Offense

Carr IMHO could with good coaching (as demonstrated by Bill Musgrave) be a franchise QB and borderline Pro Bowl player

Lynch is still a powerhouse RB, Richard is a good change of pace back

Cook is a borderline Pro Bowl receiving TE

Cooper is a talented enigma who needs good coaching to flourish

KO, Hudson and Gabe are as talented as they come in a PBS inside Penn was a franchise LT though it's obviosuly questionable with his injuries of late

On Defence

Mack was defensive MVP

Ellis a solid run stopper and Irvin and Autry decent complimentary pass rushers - one of the pieces we were missing was a genuine 3T (Hurst?)

Bowman was solid at MLB and Conley looked very talented to me in the small sample. I also liked Joseph but in a FS role. I still think the problem with our secondary was coaching rather than talent as demonstrated by the immediate improvement when KNJ left. 

Admittedly, the defence needed a few pieces as mentioned above: a genuine 3T to push the pocket, another pass rusher and a CB to pair with Conley. This could easily have been achieved in the draft and FA without breaking the bank. Hurst/Hall, Key, Melvin, we could even have gone for a sideline to sideline LB and still had the OTs or a safety like Derwin James.

I genuinely would like to know what you think the vision is and how we are going to achieve it, especially as you've asked that we believe in it.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I think you guys have to try to believe in Grudens vision. He’s here for a bare minimum five full seasons. Accept it’s a rebuild and try to convince yourself he knows what he’s doing. Or else the next five years will drive you insane. 

I can accept a rebuild. But Gruden has proven he doesn't know what he's doing. Bad coaching hire in Tom Cable. No idea of value in trades. Rebuilding but starting old players who won't be around next year? Making Bruce Irvin a team captain, he's just not that guy and proving it. 

Gruden has no edge anymore. So I can't even buy him as a coach at this point. 

Biggest embarrassment in football. 100 million dollar coach. Completely terrible. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I for one want to here from that bowl cut wearing moron who made this all happen. You gave this guy a 10 year, 100 million dollar contract to come out of the booth. You basically confessed your undying love for the guy nationally. You've let him raid the franchise and turn your GM into scapegoat for everything. Your team is 1-5. How'd you think this would play out Mark?

And let's be real for a second..... all that talk of Gruden would "only come back if he had a QB" and Gruden "came back to coach Carr and Mack" was all nonsense. He's a money whore who Davis had to go full on ridiculous with his contract to get him to come back. It's actually painful because there is something terrible that happens when you give people that kind of money. You give them entitlement. Now suddenly, you don't even own your own your own franchise. Gruden owns Mark Davis now.

I also really want to hear from him.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’d rather live in painful reality than blissful ignorance 

I honestly felt like Gruden was a bad hire in the vein of Art Shell. An old coach that brings memories of better years. A guy who could revive raider nation and bring in a great offense. Championship pedigree. But alas here we are 12 years later experiencing the same thing. 

I didn’t believe in Gruden, i didn’t think he’d be some Sean McVay type coach. Because if he was then some other team would have hired him. I mean it’s not like Andy Reid or something.

He was hired for one reason: nostalgia. Mark Davis longed for those days and raider fans longed for them. 

And to what another poster said, Gruden isn’t Chucky anymore. Dude’s lost the fire, he’s not yelling at anyone he’s not getting in people’s faces.  He’s just a shell of his former self. 

8 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

What's the deal with Conley?

Has he been playing poorly? Has he flashed anything?

Just wanting some perspective from the silver and black.

he was starting and up and down... more good than bad and was flashing, but Gruden benched him.....  a lot of folk Gruden doesn't care much for players of the old regime

9 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

And to what another poster said, Gruden isn’t Chucky anymore. Dude’s lost the fire, he’s not yelling at anyone he’s not getting in people’s faces.  He’s just a shell of his former self. 

I think he would be if we were more competitive.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I've said all along I think the 12-4 Raiders slightly overachieved, however I thought we were closer to those than the 2017 vintage, a fringe playoff team who were a couple pieces away:

On Offense

Carr IMHO could with good coaching (as demonstrated by Bill Musgrave) be a franchise QB and borderline Pro Bowl player

Lynch is still a powerhouse RB, Richard is a good change of pace back

Cook is a borderline Pro Bowl receiving TE

Cooper is a talented enigma who needs good coaching to flourish

KO, Hudson and Gabe are as talented as they come in a PBS inside Penn was a franchise LT though it's obviosuly questionable with his injuries of late

On Defence

Mack was defensive MVP

Ellis a solid run stopper and Irvin and Autry decent complimentary pass rushers - one of the pieces we were missing was a genuine 3T (Hurst?)

Bowman was solid at MLB and Conley looked very talented to me in the small sample. I also liked Joseph but in a FS role. I still think the problem with our secondary was coaching rather than talent as demonstrated by the immediate improvement when KNJ left. 

Admittedly, the defence needed a few pieces as mentioned above: a genuine 3T to push the pocket, another pass rusher and a CB to pair with Conley. This could easily have been achieved in the draft and FA without breaking the bank. Hurst/Hall, Key, Melvin, we could even have gone for a sideline to sideline LB and still had the OTs or a safety like Derwin James.

I genuinely would like to know what you think the vision is and how we are going to achieve it, especially as you've asked that we believe in it.

Forget about Lynch the O-line  switched to zone blocking just for him and it is terrible.

Archived