State of our team

Rolni

On 11/4/2018 at 6:04 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

Obi was thought of as a possible first round pick. Solid value. There were many times that I had a bone to pick with players we selected, but I can deal with that one.

Didn't get that line of thinking. He was so average at UConn. His size and length got him over drafted. That said, I was fine on buying potential in round 2. But was all in on Kamara who's proven me right. That said, doubtful Kamara looks the same in Oakland as he does with an all time great play caller in Payton

5 hours ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Some positivity I found on YouTube regarding Maurice Hurst. It's hard to notice a DT when the entire D is getting blown up. This guy does a nice breakdown of Hurts' game. Is he our building block on the defense?

I had a problem with drafting Hurst because of the medicals but the man can ball.  He is one of a couple reasons why I still watch the games.  We have some promising young talent and I hope we can develop them.  Good luck and good health young man.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Didn't get that line of thinking. He was so average at UConn. His size and length got him over drafted. That said, I was fine on buying potential in round 2. But was all in on Kamara who's proven me right. That said, doubtful Kamara looks the same in Oakland as he does with an all time great play caller in Payton

Yep, no idea why everyone was so obsessed with Obi, he was the definition of average in college. Complete Al Davis pick. And no one ranked him as a 1st Rounder in any ranks/mocks... only some Raider fans did. Everyone had him going Late 2nd/Early 3rd. We didn’t reach but calling it “value” is certainly not accurate. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I liked Kamara too. We could have taken literally any other player that got picked after that slot though, so I'm not sure what that has to do with Obi. Lets see what he does in NE. I don't expect much at this point, but judging from our defensive coaching the past few years, it isnt a stretch to imagine former players doing better elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I liked Kamara too. We could have taken literally any other player that got picked after that slot though, so I'm not sure what that has to do with Obi. Lets see what he does in NE. I don't expect much at this point, but judging from our defensive coaching the past few years, it isnt a stretch to imagine former players doing better elsewhere.

I think on some level he will flash because of shear athletic ability. This issue is, he's soft and doesn't seem to love the game. Always injured and sounded like some questioned those injuries and his ability to practice. If that's valid, he's toast.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:42 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I admire the optimism but our trash drafting from 15-17 has a big part in our mediocrity and now us redoing the roster. We haven't fielded an average defense in who knows how long. It's embarrassing. 

Reggie put us in this situation, had we drafted well during that 3-year stretch we'd have good young players on cheap deals around Carr, Cooper, and Mack and could've paid all of them. Instead, we're now having to tear the entire roster down again and rebuild from scratch. We had a solid draft last year adding guys like Miller, Hurst, Nelson, Key, Hall, and Parker though, so I'm optimistic about the future. When you have 5 first round picks in place you can really accelerate a rebuild. 

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yep, no idea why everyone was so obsessed with Obi, he was the definition of average in college. Complete Al Davis pick. And no one ranked him as a 1st Rounder in any ranks/mocks... only some Raider fans did. Everyone had him going Late 2nd/Early 3rd. We didn’t reach but calling it “value” is certainly not accurate. 

Really cause i seem to remember guys like Daniel Jeremiah saying he was a first rounder. His profile picked up after the combine. I think the thought was that he’d be another Byron Jones who the Cowboys took in the first. 

22 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Really cause i seem to remember guys like Daniel Jeremiah saying he was a first rounder. His profile picked up after the combine. I think the thought was that he’d be another Byron Jones who the Cowboys took in the first. 

I remember seeing him near the end of the first round in a lot of mock drafts during that draft cycle. During the draft, Mike Mayock said: "His movement skills for his length, his ability to get in and out of breaks, his tackling, he's got first-round talent all day long." He was a four-year starter in college and a first team all-conference player as a senior and honorable mention all-American. 

On 11/6/2018 at 8:36 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

Dude, Parker and PJ made me think of Reggie so much. First round screamed Gruden though imo.

PJ Hall has been invisible this year hopefully he can turn it around with some proper coaching but he looks like more of a rotational piece than a long-term starter. 

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Reggie put us in this situation, had we drafted well during that 3-year stretch we'd have good young players on cheap deals around Carr, Cooper, and Mack and could've paid all of them. Instead, we're now having to tear the entire roster down again and rebuild from scratch. We had a solid draft last year adding guys like Miller, Hurst, Nelson, Key, Hall, and Parker though, so I'm optimistic about the future. When you have 5 first round picks in place you can really accelerate a rebuild. 

Yep. Agree with all this.

On 08/11/2018 at 7:33 PM, NYRaider said:

PJ Hall has been invisible this year hopefully he can turn it around with some proper coaching but he looks like more of a rotational piece than a long-term starter. 

I’m confused. First you say Hall is part of a solid draft class now you he’s been invisible? 

On 07/11/2018 at 11:18 PM, BayRaider said:

Funny because you said it was an amazing pick when we took Obi. 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588045&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

AMAZING PICK! 

Our secondary just became a strength. 

This forum all loved Obi. Although the few of you that wanted him in the 1st were getting way ahead of yourselfs. 

We are having an A+ draft so far.

^^^

Almost as bad as my comment in that thread:

I agree with you 100%. Sure he needs to improve on some things like every rookie ever, but he could/maybe should be a starter for us from day 1. All the athleticism you could ask for, range, ball skills, durable, productive, good tackler, etc. 

He is by no means a project.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095be63318336c625173

Truth is we'll never know whether Obi was good or not. He never really got a chance on the field due to injuries.

He certainly had all the physical tools to be great. I agree we overdrafted him but we'll never know what might've been. Im gonna hate it if he does well for the Patriots. And he'll have a great and similar-style mentor in Patrick Chung to bring him along.

Archived