State of our team

Rolni

Defense has been playing spirited of late. If we add some pass rush in off-season and a playmaking MLB and a safety not named Reggie nelson they'll be fine.  Corners are actually decent.

Offense we need little oline help and a wr

7 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Apparently Gabe Jackson has played the whole season with a torn pectoral muscle

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/21/gabe-jackson-played-most-of-season-with-partially-torn-pectoral-for-raiders/

Would explain somewhat why he looked so bad this year. LV Review posted an article this morning that he was playing with a partially torn pec and was trying to play thru a fractured elbow on top of that before we shut him down. Say what you want about his play but that's some iron man toughness right there.

2 hours ago, roi34 said:

Defense has been playing spirited of late. If we add some pass rush in off-season and a playmaking MLB and a safety not named Reggie nelson they'll be fine.  Corners are actually decent.

Offense we need little oline help and a wr

Disagree on the corners outside of Conley. Worley has been bad and Melvin, who has been better, probably won't be back. I would not count on Nelson to start in the slot. All in all, I only identify one starting corner currently on the team.

45 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Disagree on the corners outside of Conley. Worley has been bad and Melvin, who has been better, probably won't be back. I would not count on Nelson to start in the slot. All in all, I only identify one starting corner currently on the team.

Worley hasn't been bad. He's played average. He's a decent #2 IMO

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm not saying don't go after corner in draft or free agency but I wouldn't take one in first either unless the top corners fell to us late or early 2nd.

Corners play hasn't been helped by Reggie nelson or lack of pass rush. That's why pass rush is bigger need. But depth at corner needs to get better

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

I'm not saying don't go after corner in draft or free agency but I wouldn't take one in first either unless the top corners fell to us late or early 2nd.

Corners play hasn't been helped by Reggie nelson or lack of pass rush. That's why pass rush is bigger need. But depth at corner needs to get better

I think the team needs two starting corners.

Worley is David Amerson redux. He cannot reliably play man coverage against mid-tier to above #2 receivers. I would say that the need for at least another starting corner is right up there with pass rusher. Although the pass rush was anemic this season, the team would have had more sacks if someone outside of Gareon Conley could reliable cover a receiver man-to-man; teams were able to get the ball out quick against the Raiders.

Depending on what happens in free agency, I want a corner with one of the first rounders.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I think the team needs two starting corners.

Worley is David Amerson redux. He cannot reliably play man coverage against mid-tier to above #2 receivers. I would say that the need for at least another starting corner is right up there with pass rusher. Although the pass rush was anemic this season, the team would have had more sacks if someone outside of Gareon Conley could reliable cover a receiver man-to-man; teams were able to get the ball out quick against the Raiders.

Depending on what happens in free agency, I want a corner with one of the first rounders.

Conley is a top corner.. why are people acting like he isn't? It's basically his rookie year and he's been a stud. 

Worley is fine as backup/slot with nick nelson.

So yes we need a #2 but conley is going to get better.

Also there is no bigger need than pass rush outside of maybe MLB. We are putrid in rushing passer. But we need multiple players to fix issue. We had mack and even with him we weren't great at getting to qb unless he did.

3 hours ago, roi34 said:

Conley is a top corner.. why are people acting like he isn't? It's basically his rookie year and he's been a stud. 

Worley is fine as backup/slot with nick nelson.

So yes we need a #2 but conley is going to get better.

Also there is no bigger need than pass rush outside of maybe MLB. We are putrid in rushing passer. But we need multiple players to fix issue. We had mack and even with him we weren't great at getting to qb unless he did.

Conley is not yet a top corner. He has half a year of good, but not great film. Tyler Boyd, a high-end #2 receiver, worked him pretty good last week.

Worley is a quality backup because he can play zone reasonably well, but nothing else. He does not play slot corner.

There's no guarantee Conley gets better than he is. I think his current play is about where I expect him to settle. He's a smooth, but not explosive athlete. Still, he should be a quality corner for a long time.

If I didn't have such a crush on Josh Allen, I'd be all over DeAndre Baker at #2. Honestly, they're 1a and 1b for me right now (like Ward and Vea last year).

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

If I didn't have such a crush on Josh Allen, I'd be all over DeAndre Baker at #2. Honestly, they're 1a and 1b for me right now (like Ward and Vea last year).

DeAndre Baker at #2? Woah that's pretty rich for a guy that's not a great athlete. 

You have him on the same level as Patrick Peterson, Jalen Ramsey, Denzel  Ward coming out?

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

DeAndre Baker at #2? Woah that's pretty rich for a guy that's not a great athlete. 

You have him on the same level as Patrick Peterson, Jalen Ramsey, Denzel  Ward coming out?

There are only 3 non QBs I see that can go top 2.  Bosa, Williams, and Allen.  The the second tier of players starts.

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Conley is not yet a top corner. He has half a year of good, but not great film. Tyler Boyd, a high-end #2 receiver, worked him pretty good last week.

Worley is a quality backup because he can play zone reasonably well, but nothing else. He does not play slot corner.

There's no guarantee Conley gets better than he is. I think his current play is about where I expect him to settle. He's a smooth, but not explosive athlete. Still, he should be a quality corner for a long time.

It’s reasonable to expect a pair of 23-year-old corners to improve with time 

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Tyler Boyd has worked over everyone all season. He's over 1000 yards with two games left but got hurt. Id say he's a number 1 wr. He's done alot of his work without aj green there too. 

There is no guarantee is such a cop put statement. There was no guarantee mack would be a dominant pass rusher. There is no guarantee of anything except death. 

Conley is a rookie. It's more likely he will get better than get worse with experience. Especially if pass rush improves with his own improvement.

Archived