State of our team

Rolni

7 hours ago, Dessie said:

Strange move to sack the strength and conditioning coach with 2 games to go and 2 days before Christmas. Another poor hire by Gruden. 

6 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

"According to Schefter, Gruden didn’t deliver the news himself – he had one of his administrators deliver the message"

Gruden continues to his slimy non respectable ways running the team. Funny thing is, he talked Shaw up so much during the offseason. Called him his best hire 😂

Seriously guys, thats what I mean. 2 days before Christmas with 2 games to go? WHY? Thats so puzzling.

33 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

And somehow Tom Cable still has a job. 

Eh, Cable's work sucks and his record is poor, and I am NOT a fan of his hire, his fit for this team. But maybe this year's line isn't all on Cable.

You have a new offense. You've got a right guard playing all year with a pec issue, ankle issue, elbow issue. You have a left guard dealing all year with injury problems, who I personally think fans overrate. Yes, he is a mauler, yes, he has had past accolades. But Osemele hasn't looked as good as 2016 since 2016. And I always thought he was more focused on pancakes than on the kind of intelligent consistent play Hudson is all about. You have two rookie tackles both of whom could be considered "not really ready" for the amount of playing time they've seen. One of whom played through knee issues that clearly affected his play. 

I think the line has been fine. Not great, at times bad, but not awful as a whole. Run blocking is actually better than before with the two rookie tackles. Carr has managed to go 10 games without an INT. So the pressure can't be that bad. Take the sacks that are going to be sacks, learn to work the pocket, throw it away when it's time to, attack the defense with nuanced play. It's what all the best QBs do. I've seen Rothlisberger and Rodgers play behind some of the worst line play imaginable. Having a perfect performing line guarantees nothing. Having a line like David Carr's Houston line is swung too far in the opposite direction. It's far more useful for the QB himself to have all the fine points (the stuff listed above) figured out. Having a line that's good enough is, well, good enough. 

If I had to add to this team to make it better I wouldn't focus on the line at this point. I'd focus on some real and consistent skill position gamebreakers who fit the offense well. And true impact defenders in the front 7. Not just bodies, not just guys who seem like good adds, not players fans overhype. Players who are actually a wide gap better than the players they are replacing who can consistently make impact plays that affect games. 

Nice post @holyghost . I agree with most things although I do think we should look to add a vet OT to fortify the position. Parker has been abysmal for the most part and I don't think we can continue with him and no viable backup plan. I don't count on Penn since he was bad at RT and really has maybe one year left. Couldn't agree more about the front 7.

10 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Nice post @holyghost . I agree with most things although I do think we should look to add a vet OT to fortify the position. Parker has been abysmal for the most part and I don't think we can continue with him and no viable backup plan. I don't count on Penn since he was bad at RT and really has maybe one year left. Couldn't agree more about the front 7.

Penn is a fighter, but I am not sure he has any years left. You're talking about a 35-36 year old with a significant foot injury. Adding a vet would be fine and makes good sense, which ties into why Penn is not fine. You're looking to add something reliable. Injured and an open question mark is the opposite of reliable. I was pretty much talking about our first round draft capital when referring to what to focus on. Spending any of it on OL is overkill and overlooking other more important personnel needs. I understand that drafting on best player rather than need is smart, so Jonah Williams might be in play. Beyond that, we really need to add skill players and front 7 soooo much more than OL.

2 hours ago, holyghost said:

Penn is a fighter, but I am not sure he has any years left. You're talking about a 35-36 year old with a significant foot injury. Adding a vet would be fine and makes good sense, which ties into why Penn is not fine. You're looking to add something reliable. Injured and an open question mark is the opposite of reliable. I was pretty much talking about our first round draft capital when referring to what to focus on. Spending any of it on OL is overkill and overlooking other more important personnel needs. I understand that drafting on best player rather than need is smart, so Jonah Williams might be in play. Beyond that, we really need to add skill players and front 7 soooo much more than OL.

I agree. No need to draft OT early in this draft class after investing 2 high picks in 2018. Get some vets to compete. I'm highly critical of the Oline, Cable and the 2 rookie OTs, but it's mostly emotional response. Logically, you gotta give them 3 years. We all like instant gratification, but it rarely works that way. Let both of them get a full offseason to develop their bodies and see if they can start putting it all together. 

Skill positions on offense and solidify the front 7 should be the primary goal.

2 hours ago, holyghost said:

Got it. I totally see it the same way, we are desperate for front 7 help. Especially pass rush, That alone will improve our defensive backfield.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I agree. No need to draft OT early in this draft class after investing 2 high picks in 2018. Get some vets to compete. I'm highly critical of the Oline, Cable and the 2 rookie OTs, but it's mostly emotional response. Logically, you gotta give them 3 years. We all like instant gratification, but it rarely works that way. Let both of them get a full offseason to develop their bodies and see if they can start putting it all together. 

Skill positions on offense and solidify the front 7 should be the primary goal.

Parker plays well for the most part but he has a couple of WTF moments were for five minutes you’re wondering how can he play so badly.

18 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:
19 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Raiders put a claim in on Swearinger who went to the Cards. Expect safety to be upgraded in FA IMO

Would make sense with how Joseph and Harris have played. Not good enough to go unchallenged, but better than completely expendable.

I've been really please with Joseph in particular over the last few games. against the Donkeys he really set the tone of the D, he also looked like our best pass rusher O.o and Harris has shown he can play a bit too and I think would be a good squad player to keep around. I'd be more than happy to keep Joseph and pair him with a guy like Earl Thomas. 

21 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Would make sense with how Joseph and Harris have played. Not good enough to go unchallenged, but better than completely expendable.

I disagree. Harris and Joseph look have both players like high-quality NFL starters. Of all the positions the Raiders could upgrade this free agency--which are a lot--safety is one where I feel less concerned about.

Still, I do think the Raiders will and should add a starting quality veteran free agent this offseason.

They are definitely playing better and no one quit on this team. That's really important that these guys didn't just quit on this coaching staff. Raiders are playing decent football with a very limited amount of talent. The great thing about the NFL is you can turn things around real quick. Make smart moves in FA, draft the best players regardless of position. Make a trade or two and Raiders can easily at least compete next year.

5 hours ago, raidersedge said:

They are definitely playing better and no one quit on this team. That's really important that these guys didn't just quit on this coaching staff. Raiders are playing decent football with a very limited amount of talent. The great thing about the NFL is you can turn things around real quick. Make smart moves in FA, draft the best players regardless of position. Make a trade or two and Raiders can easily at least compete next year.

No-one quit? Are you forgetting that DRC and Derrick Johnson both retired mid season? 

Defense has been much improved but Guenther must take a lot of the blame for the early season struggles. His insistence on playing vets like DRC, DJ, Reggie Nelson, Lumur ahead of the likes of Morrow, Joseph and Conley was flat out ridiculous. 

Archived