Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rolni

State of our team

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

I don’t think he’s getting a pass it’s pretty clear majority have soured on him. Just for me going off Gruden track record in Tampa he was pretty brutal with his selections. Hopefully he’s better this time around

When are we going to point fingers where they need to be pointed? Ownership!

Mark Davis just doesn't know how to run a business.. He didn't even interview other GM candidates. Just hired Reggie based off recommendation. Then gravitated towards Del Rio without looking anywhere else. Then extended him after 1 good season only to have him fire himself the nest year so he could throw 100 million on Gruden. 

Talk about mismanaging the entire thing. Now he's stuck with his man crush, Gruden, and Gruden wears the pants in this relationship.

This is going to be a looooooong 10 years if Gruden doesn't bow out earlier which I fully expect. 4-5 years max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Well, we're getting more from this draft class than the last 3 combined at this point.

Because they are being forced into action on a bad roster. None of them are making a major impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this changes but I stated this in another thread.  Gruden's first time around we did not draft 1 player that made the pro bowl with the team that was not a kicker/punter.  RM and Gruden are good examples of the Peter Principle.  Reggie should be in control of contracts and late round scouting and Gruden should have zero GM powers.  If we had a strong GM to take over this team could really take off but that will not happen with Gruden around and I doubt Reggie would stick around if demoted.  Both are very talented in specific areas but both are over their heads.  Mark would have to be a stronger willed owner to fix this which he is not.

 

On the player side I would really like to see a QB with some nerve.  A player that is willing to hold on to the ball that extra split second knowing he is going to get hit so the play can be completed.  Derek is showing signs of becoming his brother and is in a tough spot learning a very difficult playbook and having a D that can not stop anyone.  I will be patient with everyone but I need to start seeing signs of improvement.  Right now I would settle for seeing this team give Lynch the ball on the 1 yard line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

No doubt about that. If he gets credit for the draft shouldn’t Chuck take heat for the trade down if Reggie has been basically demoted ?

Pretty sure reg negotiated that trade reminds me of the dj/melenick trade on the ziggy draft year. Don’t think Gruden does #’s or contracts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gruden sucks, and i don't see it getting better. I enjoyed 2016 even if we had no shot at a Superbowl. Under Gruden this is back to 2003 especially with a 10 contract, we are screwed.

The sooner we accept it the easier it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I hope this changes but I stated this in another thread.  Gruden's first time around we did not draft 1 player that made the pro bowl with the team that was not a kicker/punter.  RM and Gruden are good examples of the Peter Principle.  Reggie should be in control of contracts and late round scouting and Gruden should have zero GM powers.  If we had a strong GM to take over this team could really take off but that will not happen with Gruden around and I doubt Reggie would stick around if demoted.  Both are very talented in specific areas but both are over their heads.  Mark would have to be a stronger willed owner to fix this which he is not.

 

On the player side I would really like to see a QB with some nerve.  A player that is willing to hold on to the ball that extra split second knowing he is going to get hit so the play can be completed.  Derek is showing signs of becoming his brother and is in a tough spot learning a very difficult playbook and having a D that can not stop anyone.  I will be patient with everyone but I need to start seeing signs of improvement.  Right now I would settle for seeing this team give Lynch the ball on the 1 yard line.

Woodson? Al had his hands all over drafting during that time, can’t blame Gruden for much of it. Although he wasn’t great at drafting in Tampa. Cadillac Williams was probably one of his best picks and would have been a solid back if not for injuries. 

 

Aside from the picks, Carr has actually shown some progress. He isn’t and dunking as much and made some plays with his legs yesterday. Far from perfect but Gruden is getting a little more out of him. He should be looking at cooper more and hopefully that is something Gruden can work on over the bye week. I get it, the picks are frustrating, but we are moving the ball, unlike last year. Penalties, sacks, fumbles, and picks are ruining drives and killing momentum for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Because they are being forced into action on a bad roster. None of them are making a major impact.

At least they’re available lol dam that’s sad tho ☹️ In reality. Our drafts have sucked so bad just having a rookie just be available is a upgrade ??‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

Woodson? Al had his hands all over drafting during that time, can’t blame Gruden for much of it. Although he wasn’t great at drafting in Tampa. Cadillac Williams was probably one of his best picks and would have been a solid back if not for injuries. 

 

Aside from the picks, Carr has actually shown some progress. He isn’t and dunking as much and made some plays with his legs yesterday. Far from perfect but Gruden is getting a little more out of him. He should be looking at cooper more and hopefully that is something Gruden can work on over the bye week. I get it, the picks are frustrating, but we are moving the ball, unlike last year. Penalties, sacks, fumbles, and picks are ruining drives and killing momentum for us. 

You are correct.  I forgot that he was hired in January.  Woodson was a no brainer and a defensive player.  It was harder to not draft a pro bowler in the first 13 picks of that draft.  How about he has not developed one drafted player on offense.  Woodson does not count because he only played a handful of games on O.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is off the rails.... 5 weeks in they are benching Conley and still playing a bunch of old guys. For what? Team isn't doing anything this season. It's like Gruden has something to prove against former Reggie guys or something at this point.

Conley and Joseph should be getting all the reps. See what they have. 

And Cooper.... amazing how they can't get him the ball. He is open A LOT. One of the best route runners in the game and for nothing. Sucks... he will be a star for another team soon. 

The future of this organization is bleak right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This team is off the rails.... 5 weeks in they are benching Conley and still playing a bunch of old guys. For what? Team isn't doing anything this season. It's like Gruden has something to prove against former Reggie guys or something at this point.

Conley and Joseph should be getting all the reps. See what they have. 

And Cooper.... amazing how they can't get him the ball. He is open A LOT. One of the best route runners in the game and for nothing. Sucks... he will be a star for another team soon. 

The future of this organization is bleak right now.

 

the funny thing is conley was playing pretty well, probably one of the 4 or 5 players average/decent on D.

 

But he wasn't drafted by Gruden, and that's all.

Edited by raiders90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This team is off the rails.... 5 weeks in they are benching Conley and still playing a bunch of old guys. For what? Team isn't doing anything this season. It's like Gruden has something to prove against former Reggie guys or something at this point.

Conley and Joseph should be getting all the reps. See what they have. 

And Cooper.... amazing how they can't get him the ball. He is open A LOT. One of the best route runners in the game and for nothing. Sucks... he will be a star for another team soon. 

The future of this organization is bleak right now.

Maybe you’re right and that one playoff year was just a fluke. Interesting to see if anyone is dealt before the trade deadline. I agree coop is gone and wherever he lands he gonna ball crazy. Real question is what to do with Carr. He reminds me of Carson palmer a ton of talent & arm strength but makes to many mistakes to move from the “great” category to the “elite” category. 

do you think they would trade Carr this year if he keeps throwing games away?

if so to who? and for how much in return?

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, raiders90 said:

 

the funny thing is conley was playing pretty well, probably one of the 4 or 5 players average/decent on D.

 

But he wasn't drafted by Gruden, and that's all.

That's what it comes down too. Gruden has gone out of his way to cleanse this roster of any and all McKenzie guys even to the detriment of the team. But you see he has no problem throwing two raw rookie tackles out there because he drafted them...

There is really no justification for Conley or Joseph not to be playing over nearly retired guys like DRC, Hall and Nelson on a team that should be 0-5. 

That's the most frustrating part, this doesn't even seem like a rebuild. Gruden has mismanaged this team every step of the way.  There is no plan. There is no future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

And Cooper.... amazing how they can't get him the ball. He is open A LOT. One of the best route runners in the game and for nothing. Sucks... he will be a star for another team soon. 

The future of this organization is bleak right now.

I blame Gruden for alot, but Coopers lack of development I put that on Derek Carr.

Carr is a middling skittish QB who cant get him the ball. If I were Amari, I'd be out. 

Edited by SilverNBlackFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

 

Mark Davis just doesn't know how to run a business.. He didn't even interview other GM candidates. Just hired Reggie based off recommendation. Then gravitated towards Del Rio without looking anywhere else. Then extended him after 1 good season only to have him fire himself the nest year so he could throw 100 million on Gruden. 

 

I totally agree with you about Mark now. I thought that the RM hire was alright, since he didn't have experience and he asked for help from trusted "insider" people.

Since that he made many questionable decisions tho and this hole Gruden stuff is on him, which basically made pretty clear to anyone how dysfunctional we are...

 

Could there be light at the end of the tunnel for us?

After we moved to LV, could Mark sell the team? The teams value would be at max with a new home, new super stadium I guess...there were rumours about how big a problem he will have when his mother passes away and he would have to pay a lot in taxes...

What do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I blame Gruden for alot, but Coopers lack of development I put that on Derek Carr.

Carr is a middling skittish QB who cant get him the ball. If I were Amari, I'd be out. 

Can't disagree. And Gruden has said they call his number and are looking to get him the ball. This falls on Carr, has since last year. He's not trusting his best weapon on offense.

Shame Amari had back to back 1000 yard seasons and now gets ignored by his QB? Further, tip of the cap to Amari. He's a classy guy. Most WRs with his talent not getting the ball would be full on nuclear right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×