State of our team

Rolni

40 minutes ago, Dessie said:

No-one quit? Are you forgetting that DRC and Derrick Johnson both retired mid season? 

Defense has been much improved but Guenther must take a lot of the blame for the early season struggles. His insistence on playing vets like DRC, DJ, Reggie Nelson, Lumur ahead of the likes of Morrow, Joseph and Conley was flat out ridiculous. 

Playing the vets early on wasn't ridiculous, players needed time to acclimate to the new systems. But no doubt he stuck with them too long.

Hopefully, there was a lesson learned here. Gruden leaned on a lot of veteran guys for leadership and consistency, and in the end, it was the young players that rallied around each other. With a tip of the cap to Frostee Rucker who is just that guy for the locker room.

Playing the vets early on wasn't ridiculous, players needed time to acclimate to the new systems. But no doubt he stuck with them too long.

No surprise that cutting Bruce Irvin's sorry arse seemed to shift the culture. We all knew he should have been cut last offseason. Guy tried to fake leadership in the offseason, but we all knew better right?

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Hopefully, there was a lesson learned here. Gruden leaned on a lot of veteran guys for leadership and consistency, and in the end, it was the young players that rallied around each other. With a tip of the cap to Frostee Rucker who is just that guy for the locker room.

No surprise that cutting Bruce Irvin's sorry arse seemed to shift the culture. We all knew he should have been cut last offseason. Guy tried to fake leadership in the offseason, but we all knew better right?

Benching Conley was flat out ridiculous, playing Reggie Nelson for as long as he did was ridiculous, Anybody who watched the Raiders last year knew that Joseph was a better option.

I was a big fan of the Guenther hire but some of the personnel decisions have been dreadful to say the least. He seems to have been forced into playing the younger players rather than choosing to. 

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Benching Conley was flat out ridiculous, playing Reggie Nelson for as long as he did was ridiculous, Anybody who watched the Raiders last year knew that Joseph was a better option.

Devil's advocate... Conley and KJ were missing assignments in coverage. And Conley wasn't getting dirty defending the run. So maybe making them take a step back helped their development later on this season?

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Devil's advocate... Conley and KJ were missing assignments in coverage. And Conley wasn't getting dirty defending the run. So maybe making them take a step back helped their development later on this season?

I mean, Conley still isn't and will probably never be good against the run. I just think this staff has a hard time understanding talent and scheming around it.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:27 AM, Rich7sena said:

I mean, Conley still isn't and will probably never be good against the run. I just think this staff has a hard time understanding talent and scheming around it.

We have not had good coaches since Gruden's first go around and even he had to get players that fit his scheme rather than adjust his scheme to players strengths.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

We have not had good coaches since Gruden's first go around and even he had to get players that fit his scheme rather than adjust his scheme to players strengths.

I think every coach is going to have strengths and weaknesses. Plus, you want your team to have an identity. So of course you're ideally going to find players that at least semi fit and go from there. You're going to have some square pegs in round holes when you totally change schemes and only have one offseason to adjust. Can't address everything. Like, if you hire Wade Philips then you're going to find 3-4 front 7 personnel. The only notable exception that comes to mind is Belicheck. He's a genius and scheme chameleon. He can adapt so well. Their identity is him and Brady.

Plus Guenther did adjust a little eventually. Remember the S1 & S2 vs FS & SS thing? Eventually they realized Joseph was one of our best Safeties so they adjusted to not have him cover TEs. Not trying to be an apologist (I think everyone here knows I'll speak my mind) but I think its fairly normal. I will say I wish our staff was a tad more flexible though

Why hasn’t Cable been fired yet? That’s what should have happened right when the 4th quarter ended in KC. Job performance review at any job would have Cable gone. I hope Gruden doesn’t keep this clown. Changes our OL scheme from something that worked to the gobbled crap we seen. Over 50 sacks on Carr this year that is unacceptable even with the personnel given. Carr has PTSD from the constant pressure. We need a OL coach that can adapt and play to the players strengths. 

There is absolutely no reason to have this so called OL coach on this team or any team for that matter he is atrocious at his job title for many years. We need this clown out of the league.

11 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I think every coach is going to have strengths and weaknesses. Plus, you want your team to have an identity. So of course you're ideally going to find players that at least semi fit and go from there. You're going to have some square pegs in round holes when you totally change schemes and only have one offseason to adjust. Can't address everything. Like, if you hire Wade Philips then you're going to find 3-4 front 7 personnel. The only notable exception that comes to mind is Belicheck. He's a genius and scheme chameleon. He can adapt so well. Their identity is him and Brady.

Plus Guenther did adjust a little eventually. Remember the S1 & S2 vs FS & SS thing? Eventually they realized Joseph was one of our best Safeties so they adjusted to not have him cover TEs. Not trying to be an apologist (I think everyone here knows I'll speak my mind) but I think its fairly normal. I will say I wish our staff was a tad more flexible though

Maybe scheme was a poor use of words.  Being able to adapt, game plan, or putting a twist on the scheme to use strengths and hide weaknesses.  Joseph is a great example.  We all knew when he had TE responsibilities he was going to be on the TEs hip but not be able to stop him because of size differential.  We knew it, the other team knew, and even announcers would mention it occasionally after the play.  But week after week we would still see him covering TE's.  It is nice we have changed now but no reason why it should have taken over 2.5 years.

Man this season sucked (again). The result of it is that for me personally i've noticed that i would be happy if we could just field a team that can make it close every game. I don't even  mind going 5-11 or 6-10 if all 16 games are close games. But these blowouts (last sunday, the london game, at the 49ers, etc.) are killing any excitement for a game.

Archived