State of our team

Rolni

Mayock no doubt needs some help. He even mentioned in one of his interviews that he was a little overwhelmed about all the responsibilities a GM has, and that he wanted to focus on the draft moreso as that was what he was brought in to do.

I think Mayock is going to build up a good stable of vets in his office which will allow him to focus on talent acquisition mainly. 

One advantage I think Mayock has coming in is that he has seen these GMs across the league with good habits and bad habits.  He has been able to focus on what they do and with what works with out bias.  You can easily say that a GM can do the same thing but when you are in the middle of the job it is hard to adapt and get away from your routine.  Now on the other end I think there are going to be some situations where he may think something will work but will underestimate how hard it actually is.  I think having a solid vet group around him combined with a fresh perspective could work out great.  It could also crash and burn but I think if he surrounds himself with quality FO personnel this is not likely to happen.  We are heading down an unknown path on so many levels over the next few years.  If nothing else it should be entertaining.  Huge roster turnover, a lot of draft picks, Gru part 2, MM, and Vegas.  90% of what last year was, I think Grudens coaching will change also, will be gone in 2 years.  It is an uncertain and exciting time to be a Raider fan.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

One advantage I think Mayock has coming in is that he has seen these GMs across the league with good habits and bad habits.  He has been able to focus on what they do and with what works with out bias.  You can easily say that a GM can do the same thing but when you are in the middle of the job it is hard to adapt and get away from your routine.  Now on the other end I think there are going to be some situations where he may think something will work but will underestimate how hard it actually is.  I think having a solid vet group around him combined with a fresh perspective could work out great.  It could also crash and burn but I think if he surrounds himself with quality FO personnel this is not likely to happen.  We are heading down an unknown path on so many levels over the next few years.  If nothing else it should be entertaining.  Huge roster turnover, a lot of draft picks, Gru part 2, MM, and Vegas.  90% of what last year was, I think Grudens coaching will change also, will be gone in 2 years.  It is an uncertain and exciting time to be a Raider fan.

Sounds like the same logic applied to Gruden. For 10 years, he's seen the ins and outs of every organization. And yet, he hired Tom Cable to run his Oline. 

But you are correct, it will be wildly entertaining. 

Archived