State of our team

Rolni

5 hours ago, Roninho said:

Man this season sucked (again). The result of it is that for me personally i've noticed that i would be happy if we could just field a team that can make it close every game. I don't even  mind going 5-11 or 6-10 if all 16 games are close games. But these blowouts (last sunday, the london game, at the 49ers, etc.) are killing any excitement for a game.

Pair that with crappy positional coaches and a giant reach on our first pick over Derwin James the BPA blue chip safety.

Mack

Lots of processed liquid poopy this season but the wins over the Steelers and Broncos were great I love beating them. 

Lets hope we actually make the right decisions this offseason to field a real team and a foundation to build on

The problem we are going to have even if we hit on FAs and draft picks is a large influx of new personnel.  9 times out of 10 if you bring that many new players together they are going to struggle for a little while.  Half of our starters next year might not be on this team right now.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

The problem we are going to have even if we hit on FAs and draft picks is a large influx of new personnel.  9 times out of 10 if you bring that many new players together they are going to struggle for a little while.  Half of our starters next year might not be on this team right now.

Agreed, I think this whole rebuild is going to be built in mind for the 2020 LV season unfortunately

15 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

8-8 would be nice progress next year. Any Raiders fan who wouldn’t be happy with that is kidding themselves.

If they can build this into a 8 win team this offseason, that would be unreal. Don't see it happening though unless they hit on draft picks and really nail FA. 

Going to be interesting with Carr. If they wanted to trade him, this would be the year. Down QB draft and some teams desperate right now for a QB. 

IMO, Gruden wants more from his QB. Carr played well down the stretch, but still makes a lot of poor decisions with the ball and he isn't using his feet which Gruden is known to covet. I think he wants to see Carr move in the pocket, get out and run more when their is openings. They alluded to that in the KC game. 

I also heard Middlekauf say he was on the block and they had an offer at the trade deadline. Was this true?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Going to be interesting with Carr. If they wanted to trade him, this would be the year. Down QB draft and some teams desperate right now for a QB. 

IMO, Gruden wants more from his QB. Carr played well down the stretch, but still makes a lot of poor decisions with the ball and he isn't using his feet which Gruden is known to covet. I think he wants to see Carr move in the pocket, get out and run more when their is openings. They alluded to that in the KC game. 

I also heard Middlekauf say he was on the block and they had an offer at the trade deadline. Was this true?

Well, Middlekauf said it...so no haha.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If they can build this into a 8 win team this offseason, that would be unreal. Don't see it happening though unless they hit on draft picks and really nail FA. 

Taking a very simplistic look at 2018 and splitting our season in two, we went 1-7 in the first half and 3-5 in the second. Or alternatively, 1-5 before the bye, 3-7 after. Either way, we improved as the season went on. A mixture of Guenther finding that the younger guys were easier to fit into roles/played better than the older ones we started the year with, and Carr’s improvements as he learned Gruden’s system. These improvements were made throughout a season and we looked substantially better in a few games down the stretch. Not all games (Sunday was a disgrace, for example), but generally we look a more competent team after week 17 than we did after week 8, with fewer holes to fill.

My point really is we were able to improve the team without signings or draft picks. If we are able to scout and sign well I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to find an extra 3 or 4 wins on the season. Of course, there’s the ‘wait and see’ element of Gruden/Mayock at this point, but I think 8-8 is a realistic ambition.

I believe this team has more talent than the record dictates but with new coaches their were going to be growing pains.  We also have some positional deficiencies but we are going to have a lot of new players next year.  Our first four picks alone should all make some sort of an impact.  Just as some players regress from scheme changes we will have some unexpected players improve.  I do not expect a big jump in wins but should see improvement of some existing players from continuing in this system.  What players do you see making the jump next year?

I think an under the radar RM draft choice that Gruden will not get rid of but will start to thrive in Guenther's system is Marquel Lee.  Depending on what we do in the draft I think he could play a big role next year.  

4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Taking a very simplistic look at 2018 and splitting our season in two, we went 1-7 in the first half and 3-5 in the second. Or alternatively, 1-5 before the bye, 3-7 after. Either way, we improved as the season went on. A mixture of Guenther finding that the younger guys were easier to fit into roles/played better than the older ones we started the year with, and Carr’s improvements as he learned Gruden’s system. These improvements were made throughout a season and we looked substantially better in a few games down the stretch. Not all games (Sunday was a disgrace, for example), but generally we look a more competent team after week 17 than we did after week 8, with fewer holes to fill.

My point really is we were able to improve the team without signings or draft picks. If we are able to scout and sign well I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to find an extra 3 or 4 wins on the season. Of course, there’s the ‘wait and see’ element of Gruden/Mayock at this point, but I think 8-8 is a realistic ambition.

KC just has Carr's number when it comes to playing at KC.    Maybe it has something to do with the league scheduling us to play in KC in December or January every year since Carr has been in the league.  5 years in a row can not be a coincidence.  This last game was pretty bad though.

27 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I look at the fact the team doesn't know where "home" is for 2019. Lot of distraction in the making. And just the schedule itself:

vs. Denver Broncos 6 10 0 0.375 -0.5 Past Matchups
at Denver Broncos 6 10 0 0.375 -0.5 Past Matchups
vs. Kansas City Chiefs 12 4 0 0.750 8.9 Past Matchups
at Kansas City Chiefs 12 4 0 0.750 8.9 Past Matchups
vs. Los Angeles Chargers 12 4 0 0.750 6.0 Past Matchups
at Los Angeles Chargers 12 4 0 0.750 6.0 Past Matchups
at Indianapolis Colts 10 6 0 0.625 3.4 Past Matchups
at Houston Texans 11 5 0 0.688 3.8 Past Matchups
vs. Jacksonville Jaguars 5 11 0 0.313 -4.0 Past Matchups
vs. Tennessee Titans 9 7 0 0.563 0.2 Past Matchups
vs. Chicago Bears 12 4 0 0.750 6.3 Past Matchups
vs. Detroit Lions 6 10 0 0.375 -3.0 Past Matchups
at Green Bay Packers 6 9 1 0.406 -2.7 Past Matchups
at Minnesota Vikings 8 7 1 0.531 0.6 Past Matchups

Granted teams will change year over year, but what game would the Raiders even be favored in? I don't see 8 wins against those teams personally even upgrading the roster. 4-6 wins right now looks more likely.

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I look at the fact the team doesn't know where "home" is for 2019. Lot of distraction in the making. And just the schedule itself:

vs. Denver Broncos 6 10 0 0.375 -0.5 Past Matchups
at Denver Broncos 6 10 0 0.375 -0.5 Past Matchups
vs. Kansas City Chiefs 12 4 0 0.750 8.9 Past Matchups
at Kansas City Chiefs 12 4 0 0.750 8.9 Past Matchups
vs. Los Angeles Chargers 12 4 0 0.750 6.0 Past Matchups
at Los Angeles Chargers 12 4 0 0.750 6.0 Past Matchups
at Indianapolis Colts 10 6 0 0.625 3.4 Past Matchups
at Houston Texans 11 5 0 0.688 3.8 Past Matchups
vs. Jacksonville Jaguars 5 11 0 0.313 -4.0 Past Matchups
vs. Tennessee Titans 9 7 0 0.563 0.2 Past Matchups
vs. Chicago Bears 12 4 0 0.750 6.3 Past Matchups
vs. Detroit Lions 6 10 0 0.375 -3.0 Past Matchups
at Green Bay Packers 6 9 1 0.406 -2.7 Past Matchups
at Minnesota Vikings 8 7 1 0.531 0.6 Past Matchups

Granted teams will change year over year, but what game would the Raiders even be favored in? I don't see 8 wins against those teams personally even upgrading the roster. 4-6 wins right now looks more likely.

That looks like a very tough schedule. At least we will be sure to play a playoff team or a team most thought was going to be a playoff team almost every week next year.  Thank goodness for the Broncos and Lions.  At least we will have the highest SOS so we lose any draft ties for 2020.  Does anyone else think that is a poor choice for first tie breaker in the draft?

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

That looks like a very tough schedule. At least we will be sure to play a playoff team or a team most thought was going to be a playoff team almost every week next year.  Thank goodness for the Broncos and Lions.  At least we will have the highest SOS so we lose any draft ties for 2020.  Does anyone else think that is a poor choice for first tie breaker in the draft?

Yeah, 6+ wins is going to be tough with that schedule. 

Head to head should trump all if it's a two way tie.  I hated hearing how the niners were ahead of us all year after they destroyed us.  Makes no sense.

Archived