What If? Reggie Bush to Green Bay 2006 Draft

The90skidjay

10 hours ago, The90skidjay said:

What if by chance Reggie Bush slipped to no5 and  got drafted by the Packers. Does his career change completely or does it end up working out the same. I think he would've been putting up ridiculous numbers on GB. What do you guys think?

Probably would have had a similar type career trajectory IMO.  IIRC, the Packers actually had Mario Williams as their top ranked player that year.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Probably would have had a similar type career trajectory IMO.  IIRC, the Packers actually had Mario Williams as their top ranked player that year.

Idk i just didn't think the saints system was for him. Notice he had 1000+ yards once for the Dolphins and the Lions and that in the latter part of his career...I feel a younger fresher Reggie would have killed it on Packers

14 minutes ago, The90skidjay said:

Idk i just didn't think the saints system was for him. Notice he had 1000+ yards once for the Dolphins and the Lions and that in the latter part of his career...I feel a younger fresher Reggie would have killed it on Packers

Deuce got 1000 yards in the same system. Reggie just wasn't that good and was never going to be an All Pro type back.

I'm not sure what difference it would make if Reggie Bush was on the Packers or the Saints. Both teams had good QB play, a very good but aging RB and a versatile offense. No matter where Reggie Bush went his body would have broken down like it did. This thread should be in the NFL General section. 

2 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I'm not sure what difference it would make if Reggie Bush was on the Packers or the Saints. Both teams had good QB play, a very good but aging RB and a versatile offense. No matter where Reggie Bush went his body would have broken down like it did. This thread should be in the NFL General section. 

I wanted to post it there...i wasn't allowed to start a new topic there though

I don't think it would have been much better than what we saw. Both the Packers and Saints offenses we're very similar in pass/run usage. The Saints might have been more creative in their use of RBs in the passing game (witness how Darren Sproles completely obliterated teams when he took the job).

Would have worked out as we saw. Now - pairing Favre/Rodgers with Vernon Davis during that time? That might have been pretty scary.

• 2 weeks later...

Reggie Bush is not the type of RB Green Bay would ever draft. The weather in GB would limit his effectiveness. They are always going to prefer RB's who can play in bad weather conditions. It is almost a given, that skill players drafted by GB must be able to be effective in bad weather. So I doubt GB would have even drafted Reggie if he fell to them.

In New Orleans, Bush got to play indoors on turf which was perfect for his skill set.

I think it would've been more interesting if the Saints had taken AJ Hawk instead, who was said to be the player they were targeting as both Will Smith and Charles Grant were both playing at a high level and it was considered a forgone conclusion that Bush would go #1.  Once Mario Williams went #1, the Saints took Bush who they didn't expect to be there.  But I think Hawk would've really helped the Saints defense in those early years, much more than Bush did.  Not sure if the Saints would've still made the Vilma trade, but at worse they could've moved Vilma to the outside with Hawk still in the middle.

I think Reggie Bush was his own biggest downfall and that was injury and availability. However, to me the Saints maximized what he could do as a player. We also have different expectation of what we wanted him to be as well coming out of USC looking at "rushing yards". Why did Pete Carrol use Lendale White in short yardage situations, or use him up the middle, and use Reggie Bush on Jet Sweeps and passing plays? Why was Lendale White blocking for Matt Leianrt in pass protection and Bush not so much. It was also Reggie that wanted to prove (article) he was an in between the tackles type runner. Green Bay was no where equipped to use Bush. Bush was no where equipped to be on a team like the Packers. One may say Lendale White to Green Bay. Yes no one knew Ahmad Green would be a 1000 yd that year coming of injury. So White may have been a fit there AJ Hawk was a the right pick though. I specifically remember reading an article on Reggie Bush's field vision. Below from 2008 that shows his issues as a RB.... Note: He got an A rating in Speed, Agility, Receiving, and Returning.

Run Power: C-

Reggie’s lack of run power has greatly hindered his production thus far in his NFL career. Until he shows the ability to drive through a pile and do the dirty work required of an NFL back, Reggie will never be able to succeed as a traditional running back.

Vision: C

While Reggie Bush does have good vision in open field situations, his vision in crowded spaces leaves much to be desired. Reggie must learn to identify the whole in the defensive line and explode through it, rather than always looking to bounce the ball out to the outside lanes.

I saw a comment that said he didn't fit the Saints offense. People forget how much catching Reggie Bush did out the backfield in receiving. So much so that he set rookie records for an all purpose RB. I will give you some numbers below. Over 1000 yards of production in both the running and passing game in his first 2 seasons. In his last 3 seasons he missed a considerable amount of games, but even in his 3rd season, with 10 games, he still managed to rack up 1000 plus total yards of offensive production. Even in 2009 he had over 800 yards of total offense. I don't know where else aside from the Giants with Tiki Barber, and Chargers with LaDainian Tomlinson where the only team at the time that was using pass catching running backs in open space to that degree.  I think in 2006, he went to the perfect situation and would have been a bust elsewhere. 

Rushing Stats

Year Team G Att Yds Avg Long TD 1st Fmb Fmb lost
2006 NO 16 155 565 3.6 18 6 27 2 2
2007 NO 12 157 581 3.7 22 4 32 7 3
2008 NO 10 106 404 3.8 43 2 20 2 2
2009 NO 14 70 390 5.6 55 5 19 2 1
2010 NO 8 36 150 4.2 23 0 6 0 0

Receiving Stats

Year Team G Rec Tgt Yds Avg Long TD 1st Fmb Fmb lost
2006 NO 16 88 119 742 8.4 74 2 32 0 0
2007 NO 12 73 99 417 5.7 25 2 24 0 0
2008 NO 10 52 72 440 8.5 42 4 22 1 0
2009 NO 14 47 68 335 7.1 29 3 16 0 0
2010 NO 8 34 43 208 6.1 20 1 10 0 0

Return Stats

Year Team G PR PR yds PR TD FC Long PR KR att KR KR TD Long KR
2006 NO 16 28 216 1 2 65 0 0 0 0
2007 NO 12 3 12 0 0 10 0 0 0 0
2008 NO 10 20 270 3 3 71 0 0 0 0
2009 NO 14 27 130 0 9 23 0 0 0 0
2010 NO 8 14 92 0 2 43 1 32 0 32

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Bush turned into a good running back until later in his career.  My expectations of him weren't that great when he came to Detroit but he showed a much difference bush than I had seen earlier in his career. 

Unless GB would have been able to mature him once he came out I don't think there would have been much of a difference.

Archived