Why does it feel like the Jets are allergic to playmakers?

Malik

I mean this for all positions. For the past 20 some odd years I've been watching this team it's like they only consistently draft 3rd round talent type guys. Decent well-rounded players that can are solid players but aren't necessarily great or explosive in any way offensively. Like Keyshawn Johnson has been the prototypical peak Jets wide receiver in my lifetime. Just a prototypical possession WR with a workman like success to football. Or there's like Chad Pennington at QB. Or even Curtis Martin at RB. Not that I didn't/don't love some of these players (Bilal Powell is my current favorite Jet and he's the EXACT TYPE OF PLAYER), it's just frustrating to see how little they to get dynamic playmakers anywhere. The few I remember were like Santana Moss and John Abraham who were both quickly pushed out the door.

46 minutes ago, Malik said:

I mean this for all positions. For the past 20 some odd years I've been watching this team it's like they only consistently draft 3rd round talent type guys. Decent well-rounded players that can are solid players but aren't necessarily great or explosive in any way offensively. Like Keyshawn Johnson has been the prototypical peak Jets wide receiver in my lifetime. Just a prototypical possession WR with a workman like success to football. Or there's like Chad Pennington at QB. Or even Curtis Martin at RB. Not that I didn't/don't love some of these players (Bilal Powell is my current favorite Jet and he's the EXACT TYPE OF PLAYER), it's just frustrating to see how little they to get dynamic playmakers anywhere. The few I remember were like Santana Moss and John Abraham who were both quickly pushed out the door.

That is a great question, I really had to think about it the players you mention were playmakers, so was Marshall & Decker. But the guy who was OBJ type was Wesley Walker, he was a big time player. But your point is well taken, it has been a long time.

Anderson while a one trick pony is a very good deep threat.  Our playmakers are good enough and Herndon looks to be playing better each week.  We just need better OL play, more touches for Powell or just a better RB, and Darnold needs to be more consistent on the deeper throws.  Until those things happen we won't have a great offense.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Anderson while a one trick pony is a very good deep threat.  Our playmakers are good enough and Herndon looks to be playing better each week.  We just need better OL play, more touches for Powell or just a better RB, and Darnold needs to be more consistent on the deeper throws.  Until those things happen we won't have a great offense.

Yes Anderson is a piece of the puzzle, but he has to avg. more than 27 receiving yards per game. And that is what he has done his last 6 games.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Yes Anderson is a piece of the puzzle, but he has to avg. more than 27 receiving yards per game. And that is what he has done his last 6 games.

Well he's only good as a deep threat and with our o-lines/matchups, throwing deep has been tough.

4 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I would say Enunwa is a real playmaker. He never gives up on a play and continuously gets those hard YAC yards. We just never have any downfield blocking.

Enunwa and Anderson are a splitting image of Santana Moss (Deep Threat) and Laveranues Coles (YAC Monster). I think the O-line is just that bad that we can't utilize Anderson as a deep threat, or effectively run the ball.  Enunwa is all we have going for us and teams have started to key on him. 

13 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

Enunwa and Anderson are a splitting image of Santana Moss (Deep Threat) and Laveranues Coles (YAC Monster). I think the O-line is just that bad that we can't utilize Anderson as a deep threat, or effectively run the ball.  Enunwa is all we have going for us and teams have started to key on him. 

I think comparing those guys to the guys you have is a stretch big time. Those 2 guys were pro bowl WRs. I don’t disagree about the OL... but Anderson is a 1 trick pony and Miss was more than that. Enunwa is closer comparison to Coles... but Enunwa has to start being more of a TD threat to make that leap. 

41 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc any GM we’ve had recently has either neglected or drafted awful on offense. And us having one of the worse offenses in the NFL is the proof of that.

You and I have seen this coming for last four years. How many draft have we cry offensive, and they went on defensive. We are paying the piper now.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think comparing those guys to the guys you have is a stretch big time. Those 2 guys were pro bowl WRs. I don’t disagree about the OL... but Anderson is a 1 trick pony and Miss was more than that. Enunwa is closer comparison to Coles... but Enunwa has to start being more of a TD threat to make that leap. 

I think they'd have that sort of potential if they had the Curtis Martin run game in support. 

20 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

You and I have seen this coming for last four years. How many draft have we cry offensive, and they went on defensive. We are paying the piper now.

Lol I wouldn’t even mind if we at least had an elite defense...instead we just got tourched by Blake Bortles and Dede Westbrook ?

We have simply sucked at Drafting. We haven't had many players that everyone else wishes they had outside of Revis. Even on the defensive side, the only one we drafted the last 10 years that can be special is Adams. I think his play is being held back by a poor scheme. With us being a media joke for a long time, FA wasn't interested unless we over paid. Even though we're losing, things aren't nearly as bad and we now have a QB. We just need to finish the year strong to help build this new culture & become appealing to FA. 

26 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

We have simply sucked at Drafting. We haven't had many players that everyone else wishes they had outside of Revis. Even on the defensive side, the only one we drafted the last 10 years that can be special is Adams. I think his play is being held back by a poor scheme. With us being a media joke for a long time, FA wasn't interested unless we over paid. Even though we're losing, things aren't nearly as bad and we now have a QB. We just need to finish the year strong to help build this new culture & become appealing to FA. 

The thing is... its our own fault. We drafted like 10 straight defenders Round 1 (Sanchez all the way to Darnold was the gap). You'd think we'd have alights out defense bc of that. But NO, we drafted the same position in 4 of those picks (Mo, Coples, Sheldon, Leo). On top of that we chose 2 SS in that time (which is awful). And we throw scrubs out there on offense. What the bigger thing in it as well is... is bc we neglected Offense in Round 1 so much, we reach for offense Round 2 and never ever hit. This is on Macc as well as previous GMs. The whole FO needs to go. Macc cant draft period, Bowles cant coach. Time to change it over. Im not buying the we cant change everything right away for Darnold BS. The earlier we get these clowns out of here the better. We play in an offensive NFL and we are among the worst on offense. Something has to change. The GM cant draft offense, our HC doesn't know a thing about offense and it shows week in and week out. Fire them both and start over. Trade back in Round 1 and grab more picks and only draft offense with our 1st 4 picks. That will be a start.

We’ve been horrible at drafting especially over the last 8-10, Tanny was horrible at drafting and gave out horrible contracts killing all cap space, Idzik was horrible at drafting but was a Scrooge with the money, and now Macc has been solid round 1 but every other round has been lackluster. We need young up and coming minds at both GM and HC to turn this around, hopefully CJ sees the blueprint the Rams and Bears have set and see how attractive a promising young QB and 100 mill plus in cap space can be.

Archived