ProFootballFocus Top/Bottom at every position, as of Week 4

TheKillerNacho

2 hours ago, Dome said:

Don’t agree with the Saints in the bottom 5 ranking outside MAYBE P.J. Williams. But he played great last week and I think there’s probably CBs just as bad as him that haven’t had any good games at all this season.

Dont agree with Line being bottom 5 either. He had 2 drops last week and that could’ve hurt him for sure but outside of that he’s really solid for us.

We were so atrocious against Fitzmagic and Matt Ryan, that's gonna bring down the grades.  PFF grades are largely garbage, but it doesn't surprise me that Crawley and PJ are in the bottom 5.   

HUGE caveat to PFF for those who don't follow it - the rating assumes the competition faced is equal.    Our DEN OL was top 10 after facing OAK/SEA - 2 weeks later...not so fast, Holmes.   It's why even now, I think there's huge variation in the #'s reflecting actual real-life status of players. 

Having said that, Josey Jewell is a legit rookie ILB for sure.   He's not athletically gifted, but his anticipation/read skills are so advanced, those average athletic skills play up so well.   I'd be shocked if he wasn't our starting ILB by November.  

The other DEN-specific comment - the QB ratings are deceiving, because some of those guys have only played less than 2 games.   What's notable - out of guys who've played all 4 games - only Josh Allen is worse than Case Keenum's 72.   UGH.  The eye test confirms it, too (always just as important as PFF #'s alone). 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

HUGE caveat to PFF for those who don't follow it - the rating assumes the competition faced is equal.    

Does it? I thought they cross-referenced the grade with the corresponding grade of the opponent? So a catch against the 90 Peterson is not the same as a catch against the 65 Butler? I could be wrong, but I thought they were very thorough 

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Does it? I thought they cross-referenced the grade with the corresponding grade of the opponent? 

No, they do quality control by having the grades re-checked by at least 2, and sometimes if needed, a 3rd source (and if a request is made, they will even re-evaluate grades if the feedback is strongly negative, too).  But they are very specific on this caveat:

We are not necessarily telling you who the best players are. Our rankings are more of a performance evaluation, and a reflection of how efficiently a player made plays in the time he was on the field.

They are measuring what a player does, every snap, and they are not looking at the end result, but the actual performance.   Trying to measure an opponent's grade doesn't really factor in how that other player did, since it's on that player's efficiency.  They do not add/subtract if it's an elite player vs. scrub.   That's a major reason why PFF grades mean way more for an entire season, or even 2-3 seasons, because then SSS factors don't influence nearly as much. 

I think you're referencing that PFF highlights huge mismatches in their weekly matchups chart, to predict the big performers. 

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Does it? I thought they cross-referenced the grade with the corresponding grade of the opponent? So a catch against the 90 Peterson is not the same as a catch against the 65 Butler? I could be wrong, but I thought they were very thorough 

That seems kind of silly too. A players grade would be punished for playing a weak schedule? 

Austin Ekeler still>>>

34 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Only slightly. I think you should be rewarded for beating a stronger opponent though.

That would likely make the grades more meaningful over a long sample size. Someone like Mahomes could be punished for lighting up their opponents and ruining their rankings after four games though. Unless they’re including historical rankings.

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

QUARTERBACK

Top 5:

2. Drew Brees 92.3 Still elite in case anybody was wondering.

Bottom 5:

1. Sam Bradford 41.4 Yeesh, more like Sam Badford. No wonder he got benched for Rosen.

RUNNINGBACK

6a. Alvin Kamara 75.6 He's on pace for 1100 rushing yards, 20 rushing TDs, 1344 receiving yard and 4 receiving TDs. Number of times that's happened in NFL history? Twice! Craig and Faulk are the only 2 to do it.

FULLBACK

Bottom 5:

2. Zach Line 48.3 WTF

WIDE RECEIVER

Top 7:
5. Michael Thomas 86.3 Dude has a 95% catch rate, 95! If you leave him 1 on 1, you will regret it.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

Top 6:
4. Terron Armstead 80.8 Such a beast when he is healthy, problem is he isn't healthy often enough.

CORNERBACK

Bottom 7:

1. P.J. Williams 29.9 In case anybody was wondering why Ridley torched the Saints in the first half, here's why. Dude is as bad as Browner and Jason David were for us.
7. Ken Crawley 45.9 Believe it, he's been complete trash so far. He was really good last year. Hopefully he gets his **** together.

"DEFENSIVE INTERIOR"

Bottom 7:

6. David Onyemata 50.6 Erm, what? I mean, he hasn't been great so far, he hasn't been anywhere near this bad. Also needs to stop committing stupid penalties.

"EDGE DEFENDER"

7. Cameron Jordan 83.8 The lone bright spot for so many years on our defense, glad he's finally getting help.

Aside from a couple WTF grades, everybody is where they should be. 

4 hours ago, Dome said:

Don’t agree with the Saints in the bottom 5 ranking outside MAYBE P.J. Williams. But he played great last week and I think there’s probably CBs just as bad as him that haven’t had any good games at all this season.

Dont agree with Line being bottom 5 either. He had 2 drops last week and that could’ve hurt him for sure but outside of that he’s really solid for us.

Line and Ony are confusing, but Crawley has earned his spot so far. Hopefully he turns it around.

I can't really comment on the two tight ends, but Torrey Smith and Wes Horton are both garbage so their low ranking makes sense.

Short has been borderline elite this year, but there are a ton of great interior lineman so his absence isn't surprising.  I wonder where they have CMC.  He's been outstanding this year as a runner and receiver, forcing numerous missed tackles.  Right now he's at 271 rushing yards at 5.9 YPC and 157 receiving yards in 3 games.  No TDs yet, but Newton is the ultimate TD vulture so not necessarily his fault.

Archived